New Lineup

• 35 replies

DFF6

New Lineup
« on: January 15, 2013, 08:14:19 AM »
Lenn Robbins reports in the NY Post that Lavin will start using a 3 guard lineup with Branch, Greene and Harrison, with Branch taking up Amir's minutes.  We'll see if this works.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/lavin_puts_new_lineup_to_the_test_B4kJl92SIAHOuWaebsEEXL

Poison

Re: New Lineup
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 08:26:23 AM »
We already tried that. If we can't make a jump shot, we're gonna to lose to everyone

kjd01067

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 08:48:35 AM »
I don't understand Lavin's infatuation with Greene.  Other than the first game of the season he has shown nothing.  Why is he playing? Am I alone here or do others feel the same way?

Chilleb

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 08:50:02 AM »
I don't understand Lavin's infatuation with Greene.  Other than the first game of the season he has shown nothing.  Why is he playing? Am I alone here or do others feel the same way?
I'll agree with you on this one + 100000000

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 08:57:25 AM »

He is the only one who can run Lavin's dribble in a circle offense

sju89tr

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 09:06:55 AM »
I don't like this move. Yes Amir has been shaky lately but he is a guy who works hard on the boards and we need that against ND. I am thinking this is a token starting spot for Greene to make him feel like he hasn't been demoted. I do expect his minutes to decrease though to the 20-24 range. 

DFF6

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 09:08:27 AM »
He is the only one who can run Lavin's dribble in a circle offense

;D ;D ;D

If PG4 is really hurting, Why wouldn't Lavin want Amir on the floor?

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 09:10:36 AM »
If hip injury continues to limit Greene, I would not be surprised to see him shut down before season's end.

sju89tr

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 09:12:59 AM »
If hip injury continues to limit Greene, I would not be surprised to see him shut down before season's end.

At the San Fran reception Lavin specifically said he had a torn hip labrum.

derk

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 09:15:52 AM »

Exactly. This would be a good time to cut his minutes without destroying the kids confidence, and giving Branch his PT. This team needs all the boards it can get and Amir is better suited for that.

Also, typically against ND, it's our athleticism that ND can't handle. We need to run and push every time down the floor. Not a good spot for a kid battling a hip injury.

derk

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 09:17:32 AM »

All the more reason he should've been reducing his time the minute Branch became eligible. What gives ?

sju89tr

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 09:23:12 AM »

All the more reason he should've been reducing his time the minute Branch became eligible. What gives ?

I don't advocate phasing him out but now is the time to have him be the first guard off the bench

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 09:36:58 AM »
If I was coaching, and how fun with that be, I would go with the following:
Obepka, Sampson, Pointer, Harrison, Branch
Bench would be Jones, Garrett, Bourgalt, Greene
Yes, I would dust off Jones, and I would play Bourgalt over Felix because Felix, Garrett and Pointer's games are similar and he is the worst of the three.
Finally when Greene comes in for Branch I would let Harrison run the point. I would tather have him jack up shots than Greene's pattented circle dribble.

sju89tr

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 09:58:58 AM »
If I was coaching, and how fun with that be, I would go with the following:
Obepka, Sampson, Pointer, Harrison, Branch
Bench would be Jones, Garrett, Bourgalt, Greene
Yes, I would dust off Jones, and I would play Bourgalt over Felix because Felix, Garrett and Pointer's games are similar and he is the worst of the three.
Finally when Greene comes in for Branch I would let Harrison run the point. I would tather have him jack up shots than Greene's pattented circle dribble.

I agree 100%

I would like to see Marco get some burn with Branch on the floor to see if he can offer anything positive

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 10:01:50 AM »
Another scholarship open. Good luck with the Reds

sju89tr

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 10:04:34 AM »
Another scholarship open. Good luck with the Reds

Why is that?

redslope

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »
Start Sir tonight

desco80

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 10:47:21 AM »
If we're starting 3 guards than that means its imperative Sampson and Obekpa crash the boards hard on every possession.   

I probably would've started Dom over Phil at the sf spot, I think he's earned that.   
But at the end of the game I would assume Phil, Dom, and Amir will all probably have about the same minutes.  So who starts is kindve irrelevant. 

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 11:36:38 AM »
I like dom off of the bench. Give him spurts of 4-5 minutes and he will be at his best.

As for green over amir I think sju89 had it right with the token starting sport, but like it or not Phil Greene is our 3-4th best scorer. Hes faaaarrr from a point guard but in the one game we played him off the ball for more than a minute (nova) he was successful in hitting shots.

Also im starting the free christian jones club, he has a better offensive game than amir, dom, and obekpa. No reason he cant get 10 minutes a game unless lavin is trying to open up some ships.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 11:39:26 AM »
Here's the thing, it's great that you're starting Branch, but he's gotta penetrate. This team doesn't have natural scorers all over. Just Dlo. I want to see Branch show me the crossover, and penetrate. Get in the lane. Make things happen. He's the key.