Christian Jones

• 13 replies
Christian Jones
« on: January 17, 2013, 05:51:55 PM »
I'm looking forward to his contributions down the road.  He had a few tragic deaths to close friends around the holidays and that's why he wasn't playing to start the BE season.  Glad to have him back contributing though, we will need him.

Moose

Re: Christian Jones
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 06:02:19 PM »
I'm looking forward to his contributions down the road.  He had a few tragic deaths to close friends around the holidays and that's why he wasn't playing to start the BE season.  Glad to have him back contributing though, we will need him.

Interesting to hear that.  He definitely looked different the other night.  Not trying to over hype what I saw but there was a fire again.  That wasn't there since the exhibitions games prior.  All the best to him on the personal front.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 06:03:27 PM »

Interesting to hear that.  He definitely looked different the other night.  Not trying to over hype what I saw but there was a fire again.  That wasn't there since the exhibitions games prior.  All the best to him on the personal front.

+1

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 06:11:25 PM »
That is terrible news and I feel sorry for Christian. I hope he continues to see minutes.

He adds a dimension we dont have. Well need his bulk against teams like seton hall and Marquette who each have a monster down low. Plus he can pass it and shoot it a little bit.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 06:12:26 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 08:30:25 PM »
Wow.  Definitely didn't know that.  I really believe strongly in Christian being a huge contributor to this program and I can see him benefitting big time playing with a PG like Branch.  In the 2 exhibition games his go-to move offensively was a pick and pop and I would love to see Branch and Jones be able to run that a bit (it seemed that vs. ND Jones played mostly when Greene was running point).
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 08:47:10 PM »
First of foremost, his goal should be to bang on the boards, create second chances, and protect our glass.  Anything he can add on offense is a plus IMO.

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 08:54:29 PM »
Jones has the athleticism and skills.  He even has a Big East body.  He needs to play with fire, crash the boards and get buckets inside.  I think he's got a lot of potential.  He really finishes well and has ability at the offensive end.  He needs to be mower aggressive and make things happen.

boo3

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 08:56:55 PM »
 If he can give us 10-15 minutes like he did against ND that will make us a much more consistent rebounding team. 

Knowing he was dealing with some personal issues earlier in the season makes his play understandable. He deserves a pass as long as he doesn't pull the disappearing act again. 

TONYD3

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 11:24:49 PM »
Agree boo. That is exactly what we need

DFF6

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 07:57:07 AM »
Here's a NY Post article on Christian's ordeal. 

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/st_john_jones_overcoming_loss_of_6aSQ4FZRoUJclPftnazYON

BTW, Jones describes how Dom really helped him cope with things, as well as GG, who said he hit a wall last year after a fast start.  Great to see how this group really has each other's backs.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 08:06:49 AM by DFF6 »

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 08:35:12 AM »
This is a reminder that when we think we know what's going on and we criticize tha players for lack of production, or we criticize the coach for not playing someone, sometimes we don't know everything.  While it is natural, and acceptable, to criticize, it is never fair to make it nasty or personal.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 08:40:16 AM »
He contributed which was more than we can say for Bourgault and Balamou.

I hope that Jones is able to deal with these losses and continue to go to school.
At first, I admit, I thought his friends were shot or stabbed.

I see Ty Grant at our games. Why doesn't the staff ask him to teach Chris his up and under?
The team desperately needs a lunch pail guy down low.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 09:35:39 AM by Poison »

redslope

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 01:11:18 PM »
Read the Post article and glad to see that Christian received support from Sir and Gift in helping him through the difficulty he had in dealing with something that at his age seems so unlikely to happen; the loss of friends of his own age.  Glad he found the strength to remain in school where he will have the support of a good network of coaches, teammates and counsellors. 

Tiznow

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 02:14:04 PM »
This is a reminder that when we think we know what's going on and we criticize tha players for lack of production, or we criticize the coach for not playing someone, sometimes we don't know everything.  While it is natural, and acceptable, to criticize, it is never fair to make it nasty or personal.

Great point.  After frustrating losses people have to back away a bit.  We know little about these kids and the coaches from watching a game on TV.

The people attending the games and the team functions have a bit more insight, but even Lavin with his penchant for talking is protecting these kids.