It's 12 AM do you know where Orlando Sanchez is?

• 59 replies
It's 12 AM do you know where Orlando Sanchez is?
« on: January 19, 2013, 12:09:45 AM »
At this point in the NCAA vs Orlando Sanchez and the Gods Gift redshirt fiascos, does any one realy believe that Lavin's decision to redshirt Gift had anything to do with Mr. Sanchez's eligibility? If the word came from the NCAA back in November that the odds were stacked against us with regards to Sanchez's eligibility, would Lavin have realy red shirted Gift and taken such a chance to have a depleted front line if the decision was not already set in stone to red shirt him? Come on ow even the most blatant homer here or gullible individual would have to question the whole thing.   My take is that Coach Lavin never had any intention of playing Gift this year no matter what Sanchez's status was.  If that was his decision, then that was his decision, but why mislead people to believe that it was based on Sanchez's status? 

So here is what comes next.........

1. If Orlando is eligible with half the season left, great, Gift stays redshirted and we potentially win more games then we would have.

2. If Sanchez does not become eligible, Gift still stays redshirted with the excuse of why waste him this year.

One as to believe that a deal was made with Gift from the get go re his desire to gain graduate credits or a degree.  Which by the way, I see nothing wrong with.  I just dont like feeling misled by the process.

Re: It's 12 AM do you know where Orlando Sanchez is?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 12:12:40 AM »
Who misled you?

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 12:17:45 AM »
At this point it's not worth arguing over. We will not have Sanchez or Gift for the rest of the season. Oh well. It's not like either of them would make us tournament caliber anyway (possibly Sanchez but unlikely). Hindsight, I think Lavin would not have redshirted Gift if he knew he would never have Sanchez.

Also, are there quotes from Lavin saying he redshirted Gift because of Sanchez? There very well may be, but I haven't seen them. If there are not quotes from him regarding this, then how were you misled?

TONYD3

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 12:18:55 AM »
Waste him- he isn't very good- but he is big and strong- he should thank god everyday for opportunity of a free education at st. Johns

SJUFAN

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 12:19:03 AM »
At this point in the NCAA vs Orlando Sanchez and the Gods Gift redshirt fiascos, does any one realy believe that Lavin's decision to redshirt Gift had anything to do with Mr. Sanchez's eligibility? If the word came from the NCAA back in November that the odds were stacked against us with regards to Sanchez's eligibility, would Lavin have realy red shirted Gift and taken such a chance to have a depleted front line if the decision was not already set in stone to red shirt him? Come on ow even the most blatant homer here or gullible individual would have to question the whole thing.   My take is that Coach Lavin never had any intention of playing Gift this year no matter what Sanchez's status was.  If that was his decision, then that was his decision, but why mislead people to believe that it was based on Sanchez's status? 

So here is what comes next.........

1. If Orlando is eligible with half the season left, great, Gift stays redshirted and we potentially win more games then we would have.

2. If Sanchez does not become eligible, Gift still stays redshirted with the excuse of why waste him this year.

One as to believe that a deal was made with Gift from the get go re his desire to gain graduate credits or a degree.  Which by the way, I see nothing wrong with.  I just dont like feeling misled by the process.

What did Lavin say that would make anyone believe Gift's redshirt was based on Sanchez's status? Or do you just make this stuff up as you go along? I believe Lavin wanted to keep Gift for next year regardless of Sanchez's status. We will need a big body next year and he wasn't bringing anyone in so why not.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 12:24:32 AM by STJFAN »

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 12:19:11 AM »
Who misled you?

Lavin did no?  When any one, fan, reporter  etc.  made the statement that Lavin was red shirting Gift based on Orlando's status, did Coach Lavin ever deny this or sate to te contrary? So let's see what unfolds here.  I hope that I am mis reading this entire scenario but I don't think so.  Time will tell.

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 12:22:19 AM »
Who misled you?

Lavin did no?  When any one, fan, reporter  etc.  made the statement that Lavin was red shirting Gift based on Orlando's status, did Coach Lavin ever deny this or sate to te contrary? So let's see what unfolds here.  I hope that I am mis reading this entire scenario but I don't think so.  Time will tell.

Can you give me a quote from Lavin specifically saying he redshirted Gift based on Sanchez's status? I'm not saying you are making it up but I must have missed these quotes.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 12:22:29 AM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 12:22:58 AM »
Who misled you?

Since when does any coach have to respond to what some lunatic on a message board posts?  No reporter reported that the Gift redshirt was related to Sanchez's scenario.  It was actually quite clearly spoken by Lavin and written in the press that it was for depth and Gift's educational benefits.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 12:23:17 AM »

So here is what comes next........

What did Lavin say that would make anyone believe Gift's redshirt was based on Sanchez's status? Or do you just make this stuff up as you go along?

Make stuff up? Every discussion to date with coach Lavin and everyone on all of these sites equated the two conditions.  Do you not see that?  No offense but are you limited?

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 12:27:41 AM »

What did Lavin say that would make anyone believe Gift's redshirt was based on Sanchez's status? Or do you just make this stuff up as you go along?

Make stuff up? Every discussion to date with coach Lavin and everyone on all of these sites equated the two conditions.  Do you not see that?  No offense but are you limited?

Stuff that people write on this site should not be taken as fact.  Most of it is opinion.  Lavin never equated the two conditions at all.  Lavin made the decision to redshirt Gift once he realized that Sanchez would only be given Senior eligibility, if any.  He saw we would need depth in the frontcourt for next year.  He saw the reward of having a veteran big man here next year to be greater than the risk of not having Sanchez cleared for this year because let's be honest, without Sanchez he knew this would be a rebuilding year and if Sanchez got cleared then we would have no need for Gift.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 12:28:11 AM by STJ11Redmen »

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 12:28:20 AM »
Who misled you?

Since when does any coach have to respond to what some lunatic on a message board posts?  No reporter reported that the Gift redshirt was related to Sanchez's scenario.  It was actually quite clearly spoken by Lavin and written in the press that it was for depth and Gift's educational benefits.

Correct, the fact that coach implyed he had the depth ths season with Orlando Sanchez on the roster.  However, I don't recal Lavin  ever stating to the press that he was redshirting Gift so that could get a graduate degrree as I am sure he would have gotten some heat for that.

SJUFAN

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 12:30:07 AM »

I don't give two $hits what is discussed on message boards. When did Lavin say it? Your a clown, answer the question.........or are you limited?

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 12:32:26 AM »

Stuff that people write on this site should not be taken as fact.  Most of it is opinion.  Lavin never equated the two conditions at all.  Lavin made the decision to redshirt Gift once he realized that Sanchez would only be given Senior eligibility, if any.  He saw we would need depth in the frontcourt for next year.  He saw the reward of having a veteran big man here next year to be greater than the risk of not having Sanchez cleared for this year because let's be honest, without Sanchez he knew this would be a rebuilding year and if Sanchez got cleared then we would have no need for Gift.

Koolade for sale........ And he never saw the need for Gift as we were getting killed on the boards for the first half of the season? And with his recruiting prowess, he didnt think he could bring in another player next year equal to or better then Gift's ability? Oh please.

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 12:34:24 AM »
Who misled you?

Correct, the fact that coach implyed he had the depth ths season with Orlando Sanchez on the roster.  However, I don't recal Lavin  ever stating to the press that he was redshirting Gift so that could get a graduate degrree as I am sure he would have gotten some heat for that.

I meant depth for next season.

And yes Lavin actually did say exactly that regarding the graduate degree:

"And with Gift, he's in a position where he can graduate in December - and then be done with his Master's [degree] at the end of his fifth year. So he's also unique from that standpoint. He's a scholar. As a result, he sees some of the value - not only working on his game, but walking from St. John's with not only his undergraduate but his MBA."

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 12:36:52 AM »

No offense but are you limited?

This is why you annoy people. He didn't personally attack you in any way. You act like you want to have serious conversations, but then you immediately resort to name calling as soon as someone disagrees with you.

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 12:37:06 AM »

I don't give two $hits what is discussed on message boards. When did Lavin say it? Your a clown, answer the question.........or are you limited?

I guess you dont read espn commentaries or local news as it was stated on numerous times. You are a bafoon that uses insults to make a point as your points contain no substance. And it's "you're a clown" not your a clown.

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 12:41:53 AM »

This is why you annoy people. He didn't personally attack you in any way. You act like you want to have serious conversations, but then you immediately resort to name calling as soon as someone disagrees with you.

So saying to me that I just make stuff up is not a personal attack?  Those who are annoyed here are those who can't take the fact that someone with the screen name " Linda" may have more knowledge on a subject or be more on the ball then they are. My post was based on an opinion from everything I read and have heard and I am entitled to that. However, I am not the one who attacks anyone here.

SJUFAN

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 12:43:22 AM »

I guess you dont read espn commentaries or local news as it was stated on numerous times. You are a bafoon that uses insults to make a point as your points contain no substance. And it's "you're a clown" not your a clown.

Ok....your're a clown, who is making my point for me. I don't read espn commentaries or the local news and since it was stated numerous times it shouldn't be a problem for you to answer the question. WHEN DID LAVIN SAY IT?

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 12:45:51 AM »

So saying to me that I just make stuff up is not a personal attack?  Those who are annoyed here are those who can't take the fact that someone with the screen name " Linda" may have more knowledge on a subject or be more on the ball then they are. My post was based on an opinion from everything I read and have heard and I am entitled to that. However, I am not the one who attacks anyone here.

No it's not a personal attack because you were making it up. You posted as if Lavin personally said that the Gift redshirt was because of Sanchez which is not true. You may have been led to believe it was the case by members on this board, but not by Lavin personally which is what you said in your original post.

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 12:49:13 AM »
So now I am absolutely convinced that "Linda Mirabella" is "realfan."