Lavin meter

• 36 replies
Lavin meter
« on: January 23, 2013, 09:44:31 PM »
Negatives-
You can copy an paste this:Offense is brutal.
Obepka on the floor with 3 minutes left and lead(THOUGH WAS BRILLIANT FOR HIM TO PRETEND TO BE HURT, even thought the circle missed both free throws)

Positives
Nice game by coach if we weren't the worst free throw shooting team in history we would have won by 20.
His patience with the circle seems to be wavering. Nice move putting him back in when they started hounding Branch. The circle is a pretty sound ballhandler ans doesn't turn it over.

One suggestion. At the end of practice he should punch anyone who misses a free throw in the jewels

Any road win in the BE is big
Solid 9

MCNPA

Re: Lavin meter
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:50:42 PM »
Negatives-
Obepka on the floor with 3 minutes left and lead(THOUGH WAS BRILLIANT FOR HIM TO PRETEND TO BE HURT, even thought the circle missed both free throws)

Positives
Nice game by coach if we weren't the worst free throw shooting team in history we would have won by 20.
His patience with the circle seems to be wavering. Nice move putting him back in when they started hounding Branch. The circle is a pretty sound ballhandler ans doesn't turn it over.

One suggestion. At the end of practice he should punch anyone who misses a free throw in the jewels

Solid 9

Offense isn't that brutal when we were shooting 60% in second half.  First half it wasn't real good, but picked up.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 09:52:08 PM »
Nothing to complain about tonight really. Just dont get why Jakarr always gets the ball 40 feet away from the basket. Move him up 20 feet, make him a threat.

*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 09:58:31 PM »
Negatives-

Positives

Solid 9

Offense isn't that brutal when we were shooting 60% in second half.  First half it wasn't real good, but picked up.

I gave him a 9!
Sampson and Harrison got hot, but we don't run any sort of offense.

Moose

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 10:07:09 PM »
Offense is brutal.  Go ahead and try to put the band aid over the bullet hole.  An offense should not be that painful to watch.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 10:09:40 PM »
Negatives-

Positives

Solid 9

I gave him a 9!
Sampson and Harrison got hot, but we don't run any sort of offense.

Agree, everything premised off steals and forcing turnovers. Frustrating to watch the offense, but I'll take a road win.

nrb155

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 10:12:53 PM »
Ok am I slow? I don't get the Phil circle thing...

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 10:15:28 PM »
Ok am I slow? I don't get the Phil circle thing...

When he was primary ballhandler before Branch was eligible had a tendency to dribble around in a circle for 30 seconds

nrb155

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 10:19:33 PM »
Clever... but I think you can do better....similar to how we can do better from the charity stripe and save our older supporters from skyrocketing blood pressure and possible stroke

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 10:22:34 PM »
The offense is far from great, but it's been getting consistantly better since Branch became the primary ballhandler.

I don't think we can complain much about it.  Did you guys see the Rutgers offense tonight?  That was really pitiful.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 10:55:46 PM »
Biggest problem with our offense right now is that we don't have any low post threat.  Jakar is too frail at this point to bang with bigger bodies down low.  I love his mid-range game and he is good in transition, but not down low on offense.  As great a presence as CO is on defense, we know where his low post game is right now.  And while I think that Jones eventually develops into a nice post player, he isn't there yet.  Sanchez would have been just what the doctor ordered.

Without that low post threat, we need to get out in transition to make buckets, or score off of the pick and roll and isolation game.  One thing I do like about this team -- we have a lot of guys who utilize the mid range game, which is pleasant to see.

I think our offense gets better as the year goes on.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 11:06:42 PM »
Negatives-

Positives

Solid 9

We weren't running an offense. This was Rutgers. We get away w it against them.

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 11:17:17 PM »
We are so fortunate to have Lavin. Harkless, Harrison, Sampso, Pointer, Branch---it is ridiculous how dramatically and how quickly he has transformed this program. We were nothing going nowhere. The man is a magician, and a media wizard as well. Get down on your knees and thank the Lord.

Foad

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 06:49:02 AM »
Solid 9

A solid nine. Really. On this scale to rate a 3 he'd have to rape and murder a hot dog vendor.

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 08:54:26 AM »
A solid nine. Really. On this scale to rate a 3 he'd have to rape and murder a hot dog vendor.

Just win baby. I am the Paris Hilton of graders-EASY
The offense is terrible and that will be a negative all year long, but I liked the D and I didn't have any problems with the rotations or sub patterns. What were your issues?

TONYD3

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 08:57:40 AM »
Offensive sets don't look great but we were getting good shots. We just missed them . Samson scored 20 plus but easily could have had 10/15 more.

Foad

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 09:09:35 AM »

Just win baby. I am the Paris Hilton of graders-EASY
The offense is terrible and that will be a negative all year long, but I liked the D and I didn't have any problems with the rotations or sub patterns. What were your issues?

I don't know if I had issues. I had quibbles. Why the three guard offense. Why take the air out of the ball with 8 minutes left. Why is Obekpa in the game at the end - regarding which, sure it was smart to have him fake an injury to avoid missing the FTs, but why have Greene take them when a 90 percent FT shooter is on the bench? Regarding rotations, what rotations? He played 6 guys 184 minutes. He probably deserves a point or two for not giving himself a chance to mess up the rotation by making stupid substitutions. My issue is probably with your scale. I thought yesterday he was pretty innocuous, about a 5. He didn't do anything too stupid and didn't do anything too smart. But if yesterday was a 9, what's a 2? What if he actually implements some strategy that wins us the next game? Does he get a 14? Part of me is hoping that you're only lauding Lavin to mess with Moose's head now that you've shamred him into doubting the existence of an infallible being.

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 09:35:28 AM »
I don't know if I had issues. I had quibbles. Why the three guard offense. Why take the air out of the ball with 8 minutes left. Why is Obekpa in the game at the end - regarding which, sure it was smart to have him fake an injury to avoid missing the FTs, but why have Greene take them when a 90 percent FT shooter is on the bench? Regarding rotations, what rotations? He played 6 guys 184 minutes. He probably deserves a point or two for not giving himself a chance to mess up the rotation by making stupid substitutions. My issue is probably with your scale. I thought yesterday he was pretty innocuous, about a 5. He didn't do anything too stupid and didn't do anything too smart. But if yesterday was a 9, what's a 2? What if he actually implements some strategy that wins us the next game? Does he get a 14? Part of me is hoping that you're only lauding Lavin to mess with Moose's head now that you've shamred him into doubting the existence of an infallible being.

I think we both have the same opinion about Lavin's coaching. Besides the fact that wins weigh heavily in my grading, as far as Lavin is concerned I grade on a curve. He is what he is. The adjustment that you pointed out on BEB about shortening the rotation thus limiting the amount of things he could mess up is accurate. I don't expect Lavin to magically turn into Billy Donavan or anything so anything he does to decrease how unorganized we looked for most of the year I will applaud. Lavin is not a great coach, but overall he is good for the program, so I am not going to harp on his shortcomings, especially in wins.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:38:51 AM by we are sju »

Foad

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 09:44:24 AM »
Lavin is not a great coach, but overall he is good for the program, so I am not going to harp on his shortcomings, especially in wins.

Lavin is the best thing to happen to SJ basketball in my lifetime, and that includes getting that POS Jarvis scraped off SJ's shoe. He is a bit of a dunce though and harping on his myriad shortcomings will have to do for fun until next year when we make the Sweet 16. Because I expect the rest of the year to be brutal, including an 0 for February.

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 09:48:05 AM »
Lavin is the best thing to happen to SJ basketball in my lifetime, and that includes getting that POS Jarvis scraped off SJ's shoe

Agree.