D'Angelo Harrison Article - NY Post - 1/28/13

• 25 replies

Re: D'Angelo Harrison Article - NY Post - 1/28/13
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 12:22:44 PM »
I like the way this kid's game is developing. You can see he is the leader of the team. What I don't like is his body langauge.....especially when we are down or when teams go on runs. Twice I saw situations when Lavin is talking to him and he turns/walks a way mid sentence. An old wise man taught me a tough lesson about being a leader, body langauge and what your team mates pick up.

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »
 What I don't like is his body langauge.....especially when we are down or when teams go on runs. Twice I saw situations when Lavin is talking to him and he turns/walks a way mid sentence. An old wise man taught me a tough lesson about being a leader, body langauge and what your team mates pick up.

See I just don't get the scrutiny. Mullin and Berry could have been flipping Louie off in timeouts and we would not have noticed or cared. I am also sure Ron Ron wasn't giving his undivided attention to Fran / Jarvis during TO's. He pouts, so what! Much less than Bobby Hurley did in going to 3 final four's at Duke.

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 03:31:40 PM »
Lavin doesn't seem like the type of coach who would tolerate outright disrespect and not deal with it.  I think he understands, and accepts, DLo's personality and doesn't take any of it personally.  Coach would not have put DLo in the leadership role if there was a problem.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 05:07:26 PM »
Look I love Dlo but body language aside what i really don't like is when he doesn't get a call and stops playing to argue with the refs. Was at the Hall game (and watched it again on tv so don't say it didn't happen) and this happened AGAIN and it resulted in a layup. Wait for a dead ball situation to argue a call.

desco80

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 06:34:07 PM »
I've been saying this ad nauseum, but Dangelo needs to pass when hes trapped coming off a a ball screen.   This is not a complicated concept.   This one little change will make our offense much more efficient.   Open looks for everybody!

Don't really care about his demeanor per se, as long as he isn't disrespectful of coach, teammates, or officials.  And he's not.  Players roll their eyes all the time at coaches, if the coach wants to get in his face about it, that's his business.  But that's a part of sports.  Just like fights in practice, guys pissed over playing time, and complaining about calls.   It happens, as long as you're not the guy who always does it, then it's no big deal.

I give players a lot of benefit of the doubt for their 'attitudes' on the court.   That's in the heat of battle. 
I sure wouldn't want someone judging me based on my facial expressions while I'm at the gym, or going for a run.     As long as he doesn't cross a line, or even if he does - if it's only once in a blue moon, and he apologizes for it afterward - then I don't have a problem.  Heat of the battle fellas, a lot of these reactions are human nature. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 06:34:45 PM by desco80 »

crgreen

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 06:48:59 PM »
Lavin doesn't seem like the type of coach who would tolerate outright disrespect and not deal with it.  I think he understands, and accepts, DLo's personality and doesn't take any of it personally.  Coach would not have put DLo in the leadership role if there was a problem.

He's coached Baron Davis, Ray Young and Matt Barnes.  None of this is new to him.

Moose

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 07:05:51 PM »
Look I love Dlo but body language aside what i really don't like is when he doesn't get a call and stops playing to argue with the refs. Was at the Hall game (and watched it again on tv so don't say it didn't happen) and this happened AGAIN and it resulted in a layup. Wait for a dead ball situation to argue a call.

When during the game please?  Id like to go back and look.

There are 4 other players on the court you know.  They could stop them too.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »

I recall the play.  There was a fast break.  Not sure it was DLo's man running down court.  Nevertheless, he has improved quite a bit from last year.

Moose

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 07:14:24 PM »

I recall the play.  There was a fast break.  Not sure it was DLo's man running down court.  Nevertheless, he has improved quite a bit from last year.

(Not directed at you but in the context of the thread)

For all the complaining he does he still has a whopping 1 Tech in almost 2 years now.  Me personally I won't pick him apart if he glares at a ref trying to get respect and a call.  I mean he averages 20 ppg not like its a 4ppg player looking for a call.  But of course our fans relish the chance to pick him apart.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 07:18:43 PM »

For all the complaining he does he still has a whopping 1 Tech in almost 2 years now.  Me personally I won't pick him apart if he glares at a ref trying to get respect and a call.  I mean he averages 20 ppg not like its a 4ppg player looking for a call.  But of course our fans relish the chance to pick him apart.

Yeah I agree with Moose. He is a little hot-headed, but his attitude problem is WAY overblown on this board simply based on his reputation before he got here.

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 08:00:44 PM »

+1

To me the most important body language is when things go tough for us or at the end of the game I see him doing whatever he can to get the ball in his hands. Has big time heart

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 08:15:40 PM »

+1

To me the most important body language is when things go tough for us or at the end of the game I see him doing whatever he can to get the ball in his hands. Has big time heart

I loved the body language when he hit the three to end the first half

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 08:23:36 PM »

I recall at least one instance when I screamed for him to stop arguing and get back...That said, they all do it, and have a propensity to jog back on defense. I notice that a number of them, including Jakarr, focus on the crowd after a dunk while the other team is starting to run down court...
hopefully they grow out of it

He s a warrior and pros outweigh any cons
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:25:07 PM by section3 »

Moose

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 08:29:31 PM »

I recall at least one instance when I screamed for him to stop arguing and get back...That said, they all do it, and have a propensity to jog back on defense. I notice that a number of them, including Jakarr, focus on the crowd after a dunk while the other team is starting to run down court...

But honestly all teams do it.  Not saying its right.  But home many times does it lead to a clear breakaway basket?  If it happened as much as people seem to insinuate it is, the issue would be MUCH larger and picked up by media and coaches quotes.  I hope Celtics can provide the time of the game.  I'd love to go back and look and if I'm wrong I'm wrong.  But I really don't recall breakaway clear cut baskets by lack of hustle. 

Then again there is the point that he WAS probably fouled on the other end but I won't go there :)

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 08:30:06 PM »
He routinely encourages his teammates and is genuinely happy (at least from what I can tell) when they succeed, even if it means he isn't scoring.  And many times you'll see him smiling with Lavin and other staff members/teammates when two seconds before he looked pissed.  He is an emotional player out of the John Starks mold.  Nothing wrong with that as long as the guy plays hard and cares about his teammates.  D-Lo does both.  I'll take him on my team any day and twice on Tuesday.  He has certainly matured this year, and I can't wait to see what he turns into as a junior (and I believe he is smart enough to realize that he shouldn't leave yet).

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 09:22:24 PM »
He routinely encourages his teammates and is genuinely happy (at least from what I can tell) when they succeed, even if it means he isn't scoring.  And many times you'll see him smiling with Lavin and other staff members/teammates when two seconds before he looked pissed.  He is an emotional player out of the John Starks mold.  Nothing wrong with that as long as the guy plays hard and cares about his teammates.  D-Lo does both.  I'll take him on my team any day and twice on Tuesday.  He has certainly matured this year, and I can't wait to see what he turns into as a junior (and I believe he is smart enough to realize that he shouldn't leave yet).
DLO is from Houston, Starks choked in Houston = emotional flashback of 94!
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 10:05:17 PM »

But honestly all teams do it.  Not saying its right.  But home many times does it lead to a clear breakaway basket?  If it happened as much as people seem to insinuate it is, the issue would be MUCH larger and picked up by media and coaches quotes.  I hope Celtics can provide the time of the game.  I'd love to go back and look and if I'm wrong I'm wrong.  But I really don't recall breakaway clear cut baskets by lack of hustle. 

Then again there is the point that he WAS probably fouled on the other end but I won't go there :)

It's at around the 5:50 mark of the 2nd half and results in a fast break and foul at the 5:40 mark. 

He was fouled and got no call and would not have been in a position to defend the play anyway.

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 09:46:35 AM »
What I don't like is his body langauge.....especially when we are down or when teams go on runs. Twice I saw situations when Lavin is talking to him and he turns/walks a way mid sentence. An old wise man taught me a tough lesson about being a leader, body langauge and what your team mates pick up.

See I just don't get the scrutiny. Mullin and Berry could have been flipping Louie off in timeouts and we would not have noticed or cared. I am also sure Ron Ron wasn't giving his undivided attention to Fran / Jarvis during TO's. He pouts, so what! Much less than Bobby Hurley did in going to 3 final four's at Duke.

If Artest, Mullin or Berry did that I would still be saying the samething the name on the jersey doesn't mean a thing. You see more of the negitive body langauge in the present day players in my opinion. D'lo is a gamer on the court and his team mates see his passion and desire to win.......on the other hand they see him walking a way from the coach when he is talking. I see more positive then negitives but that negitive bothers me.

Moose

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 10:07:43 AM »

If Artest, Mullin or Berry did that I would still be saying the samething the name on the jersey doesn't mean a thing. You see more of the negitive body langauge in the present day players in my opinion. D'lo is a gamer on the court and his team mates see his passion and desire to win.......on the other hand they see him walking a way from the coach when he is talking. I see more positive then negitives but that negitive bothers me.

In the heat of the moment things happen in a game.
Cut him a break