Jamal Branch injury

• 80 replies

MCNPA

Re: Jamal Branch injury
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2013, 05:37:01 PM »
Kid likely should rest and ice it for at least a week if hes having a lot of pain then evaluate.  Sprain can still cause some pain and instability.  You won't see a sprain on MRI so it just means the MRI was negative.  His timetable though, will only be based on how he feels because cant really gauge how bad a mcl sprains except for pain.

« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2013, 07:11:23 PM »
Kid likely should rest and ice it for at least a week if hes having a lot of pain then evaluate.  Sprain can still cause some pain and instability.  You won't see a sprain on MRI so it just means the MRI was negative.  His timetable though, will only be based on how he feels because cant really gauge how bad a mcl sprains except for pain.

You can absolutely see a sprain on a MRI...not only is the signal of the MCL different on each of the views but the subtle change in the ligament structure will be evident on most high quality MRI scans. And the radiologist and orthopedist determine the severity of the MCL sprain (grade 1-2-3)by the MRI showing the amount of ligament tearing in its structure!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:15:05 PM by crocodile »

MCNPA

« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2013, 07:58:05 PM »

You can absolutely see a sprain on a MRI...not only is the signal of the MCL different on each of the views but the subtle change in the ligament structure will be evident on most high quality MRI scans. And the radiologist and orthopedist determine the severity of the MCL sprain (grade 1-2-3)by the MRI showing the amount of ligament tearing in its structure!

Not necessarily true.  Often sprains just cause microscopic tears or stretching that doesn't cause change in MRI signal.  Can often see severe sprains, but is rarely used for grading.  Most still graded by physical exam by the orthopedist.  I'm not an ortho guy though. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:01:52 PM by MCNPA »

Moose

« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2013, 08:02:36 PM »
I love it.  STJ message board first.  What an MRI can tell and can't.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2013, 08:07:51 PM »
I love it.  STJ message board first.  What an MRI can tell and can't.

For clarity, a grade 3 is a full tear and you dont need an mri for that,  The only tear you likely will be able to see of any diagnostic value is a grade 2 sprain where you might see some tear or might not.  Anything other than a grade 1 and he'll be out for more than a few days most likely.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:08:52 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2013, 09:58:20 PM »

Wait I thought Mrs Lavin was in the Medical field in some capacity? Am I wrong? If so she just got schooled in her own profession ;D
Crocodile is now my favorite poster!

MCNPA

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2013, 09:28:29 AM »

Wait I thought Mrs Lavin was in the Medical field in some capacity? Am I wrong? If so she just got schooled in her own profession ;D
Crocodile is now my favorite poster!

Lol.  Yes, I work in medicine for over a decade but in Critical Care and Cardiothoracic Surgery.  Ortho is a totally different world from what I do.  That said, my info on the MRI's is correct.  I was shooting from the hip earlier but here's more info.  it's slightly older, but no major milestones in MRI tech and there's still no studies that show any conclusive data on sensitivity in mcl sprains.  As I said earlier, the MRI can be helpful, but mainly for ACL/PCL tears.  Sometimes can see graded mcl tears but not accurate and try are generally not surgically treated anyway.

http://radiology.rsna.org/content/194/3/825
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 09:40:18 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2013, 09:55:08 AM »
Lol.  Yes, I work in medicine for over a decade but in Critical Care and Cardiothoracic Surgery.  Ortho is a totally different world from what I do.  That said, my info on the MRI's is correct. 

I have to give MCNPA credit, he takes shots at himself better than he takes shots at the coach

paultzman

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2013, 02:34:09 PM »
“@QSTJHoops: Lav on Branch: "We don't play him until he's at full speed. There's still some pain with his lateral movement." Unlikely for Wed. #stjbb”

Huh? “@JournalisTim: Coach Lavin says timetable for Jamal Branch’s return is up in the air. Could be a week..two weeks…or next year. #STJbb”
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:36:59 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2013, 02:39:30 PM »
“@QSTJHoops: Lav on Branch: "We don't play him until he's at full speed. There's still some pain with his lateral movement." Unlikely for Wed. #stjbb”

Huh? “@JournalisTim: Coach Lavin says timetable for Jamal Branch’s return is up in the air. Could be a week..two weeks…or next year. #STJbb”

Wow, that would suck.

sju89tr

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2013, 09:15:58 AM »
We kind of heard a prediction like that before.....with Orlando.....Just saying!
It's a sprain though which is troublesome. I am sure the medical staff is being careful with it. Can't imagine he would be out rest of the year but I hope he is back for this weekend. 

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2013, 10:06:31 AM »
Based on coach Keady's comments in Red White pre -game last night I would expect Branch back Sunday.

MCNPA

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2013, 10:57:24 AM »
Based on coach Keady's comments in Red White pre -game last night I would expect Branch back Sunday.

Encouraging.  Hope Lavin keeps it close to the vest and lets everybody know at game time.  No need for Pitt to game-prep for Branch by giving the info ahead of time.

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2013, 12:08:52 AM »
According to a post on instagram from the guy I believe is Jamal's brother, Jamal is playing Sunday.

Poison

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2013, 05:14:21 AM »

Remember he said that it was their "hope". Not that he would be back.

sju89tr

« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2013, 10:12:09 AM »
Hopefully he can play at least 15-18 minutes, it would help a great deal with creating offense   

paultzman

« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2013, 01:37:50 PM »
“@QSTJHoops: Jamal Branch has taken part in some 5-on-5 activity in practice, but Steve Lavin still believes he won't play tomorrow vs. Pitt. #stjbb”

paultzman

« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2013, 08:52:56 AM »
"St. John’s is hoping to get a boost from Jamal Branch, the silky point guard who has missed the last four games with a sprained left knee. Branch has begun practicing with the team and if the knee responds well this morning, he could get the green light."

Robbins today.

sju89tr

« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2013, 09:31:04 AM »
"St. John’s is hoping to get a boost from Jamal Branch, the silky point guard who has missed the last four games with a sprained left knee. Branch has begun practicing with the team and if the knee responds well this morning, he could get the green light."

Robbins today.

I have a feeling he will play but not many minutes.

redslope

« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2013, 04:41:04 PM »

Robbins today.

I have a feeling he will play but not many minutes.

spot on comment--he did not look ready today; hopefully another week.........