Louisville Game Discussion

• 235 replies

desco80

Re: Louisville Game Discussion
« Reply #200 on: February 15, 2013, 11:29:01 AM »
3) just a hypothesis, I haven't looked at the numbers, but
Dom started blossoming in January when Branch got up to speed and started playing big minutes. 
He's fallen off the last 3, and looks like the Dom from October.  Connection?
Could be he's just hitting a little wall, but maybe Jamal was getting Dom the ball in a position to succeed.  ( those corner 3s are the most obvious that come to mind)

Two points. One, SDP has played well against bad teams - DePaul, Rutgers, Seton Hall - and stunk against teams that are bigger and stronger than he is. In those games you can see his frustration via chippy play, ie thrown elbows and last night's cheap shot. For which sooner or later he's going to get tossed. Two, re Branch, what he did do is move Pointer off the ball so that he's not a primary ball handler and doesn't have to make plays. Because he's not very good at either of those things.

Fair points.   Definitely agree with you in regards to Branch moving Dom off the ball, slightly less so about the level of competition, if only because then you would think he would have played well against the Holy Crosses, NJITs and Fordhams of the world.   
But it's true that you can't ignore that his best games came against SH, Rutgers and Depaul.
Hope to see Branch back out there before the end of the season.

« Reply #201 on: February 15, 2013, 01:02:31 PM »
I think Rico deserves some credit for our intensity throughout, like the announcer said, he was really dialed in. Also, while I was disappointed with the result of this game, I can't help but being excited watching these guys play. The execution was pretty poor for the most part, but IMO those times when we went on runs we looked like the better team on the floor.
 We played better defense than the best defensive team in the country, we ran better than they did, we just didn't hit the shots we needed. When we are finally clicking with this group on a regular basis (which will hopefully be all of next year), we're gonna be pretty darn good.

paultzman

« Reply #202 on: February 15, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »
The need for some interior strength/bulk is obvious. It would also take some pressure off Jakarr on the boards. We get bullied consistently inside & desperately need someone who will rebound, help avoid giving up offensive rebounds and provide outlet passes. What we do with outlet passes is another story. That's where the addition of a true point guard would be a huge plus. Imo, our break sucks and needs to be better spaced and organized. Add bulk and someone with PG skills and we become a dangerous team. Please no Gift references. He is not the answer I am looking for.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 01:22:02 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #203 on: February 15, 2013, 01:18:46 PM »
There were stretches in the last 10 minutes where Louisville begged STJ to win the game. They couldn't hit a shot and they kept turning it over. It was maddening.

« Reply #204 on: February 15, 2013, 01:23:37 PM »
DLo was trying to grab the ball from Harrell, Marco was standing over them, watching.  Obekpa was also on the floor and took a swipe at Harrell's face (intentional or accidental?  You make the call).  Dom was nowhere near the play.  I couldn't understand how he got called for the technical---unless he did or said something away from the play.

Yeah I saw Obekpa take a shot.  He was talking to the refs a lot last night about Dieng down low.

Really? I thought it was clear that Pointer pushed Harrell back down as the players on the floor were getting untangled.

Moose

« Reply #205 on: February 15, 2013, 01:33:13 PM »
DLo was trying to grab the ball from Harrell, Marco was standing over them, watching.  Obekpa was also on the floor and took a swipe at Harrell's face (intentional or accidental?  You make the call).  Dom was nowhere near the play.  I couldn't understand how he got called for the technical---unless he did or said something away from the play.

Yeah I saw Obekpa take a shot.  He was talking to the refs a lot last night about Dieng down low.

Really? I thought it was clear that Pointer pushed Harrell back down as the players on the floor were getting untangled.

Obekpa's hands were towards the face of Harrell it seemed.  It those were Pointers arms, damn they are long.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #206 on: February 15, 2013, 01:38:38 PM »
We can get a little "chippy" now and then. Getting manhandled can do that.

« Reply #207 on: February 15, 2013, 01:41:32 PM »
The need for some interior strength/bulk is obvious. It would also take some pressure off Jakarr on the boards. We get bullied consistently inside & desperately need someone who will rebound, help avoid giving up offensive rebounds and provide outlet passes. What we do with outlet passes is another story. That's where the addition of a true point guard would be a huge plus. Imo, our break sucks and needs to be better spaced and organized. Add bulk and someone with PG skills and we become a dangerous team. Please no Gift references. He is not the answer I am looking for.

One time this year I would like to see JaKarr make An outlet pass. Seriously, just one time. He is so in love with bringing the ball up past half court after a rebound. The problem is DJ or Brownlee he is not.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #208 on: February 15, 2013, 01:45:34 PM »
He is actually ok dribbling in the open court.  Problem is, once he gets going, he doesn't know when to pull back.  Dribbling through traffic in the half court is where I really have concerns with him.

« Reply #209 on: February 15, 2013, 01:54:34 PM »
He is actually ok dribbling in the open court.  Problem is, once he gets going, he doesn't know when to pull back.  Dribbling through traffic in the half court is where I really have concerns with him.

It's not that he can't dribble the ball up the court. It's that he can't do anything productive with it. Give it up and sprint to the basket looking to get it back.

« Reply #210 on: February 15, 2013, 02:25:06 PM »

It's not that he can't dribble the ball up the court. It's that he can't do anything productive with it. Give it up and sprint to the basket looking to get it back.

With that I agree 100%

« Reply #211 on: February 15, 2013, 02:27:14 PM »
Foul shot attempts SJU - 7

Foul shot attempts Louisville - 30

Does that tell you anything?

Moose

« Reply #212 on: February 15, 2013, 02:29:50 PM »

Well the last 12 attempts by Lville occurred after the last TV timeout when game was 'over'

So I don't think its that big of a discrepancy.

« Reply #213 on: February 15, 2013, 02:29:53 PM »

Yes, we dont get shots around the rim.

« Reply #214 on: February 15, 2013, 02:30:23 PM »

Tells me we were settling for jumpshots and not driving to the basket. 

« Reply #215 on: February 15, 2013, 02:41:38 PM »

Bingo - or as simplyred says just settling for j's - many of which were forced and/or off-balance.

Moose

« Reply #216 on: February 15, 2013, 02:42:46 PM »

Bingo - or as simplyred says just settling for j's - many of which were forced and/or off-balance.

Sorry but I thought you were getting at something else.  Yes we don't shoot many FT's because we cherry pick on perimeter all game.  Not smart for a not good shooting team.

« Reply #217 on: February 15, 2013, 02:43:54 PM »

Yeah, too few passes on the break. Seems like they are too predictable when taking it up the court. An extra pass or two would do wonders.

« Reply #218 on: February 15, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
My GF finally feel asleep so I got to see a few minutes. We stopped them on D well, but our offense (if you can call it that) is just awful.  Either Blackshear is made of paper or I missed something on that injury. 

It comes down to no sensible person thought we would win either of the last 2 games.  We aren't talented enough to beat elite teams.  We can beat bad teams (recently).  And can give middle of the road teams a tough game at home.  That sounds like an NIT team to me.  The kids get to decide if they are NIT or NCAA over this final stretch

Well said GMan! BTW, your Charlotte team is doing fine. Congrats on Butler win.

Disagree slightly with the talent perspective.  Louisville and Syracuse have talent obviously but they also had two marked advantages, they were at home and they have several players with 3-4 years of experience.  Siva, Smith, Dieng etc.  Syracuse with Triche, Southerland and Fair.  SJU has closed the talent gap significantly.

I understand SJU could probably use some help in certain areas.  But even if they don't add ANY players they will be significantly better next year then this year.  Heck, do you think SJU loses to Asheville or even Murray St now as opposed to early this year?  That is a clear indication of the marked improvement already.

Sampson is as talented if not more then say Behanan.  He is not at Behanan's level just yet in terms of everyday impact, but he will be in time.  Chane has improved significantly from last year to this year.  Harrison will exceed Siva, but right now Siva is better as is Triche.

I know people hate the "youngest team in America" tag but they are incredibly young.  You think Obepka is going to be the same offensive player he is today next year?  You don't think Dieng improved the last 3 years?

Look at Dom Pointer.  You don't think he will be siginificantly better the next two years?  He already has improved leaps and bounds.

Heck look at Norm's last year and Lavs first year.  Except for Polee the SAME EXACT TEAM.  SAME EXACT PLAYERS.  Literally.  In one year they went from 6-12 to 12-6 with wins over Duke and Pitt.  No name changes.  I understand people like to simply say Norm stunk but trust me an extra year and a little better coaching can do wonders.  And this team in terms of athletic talent is far superior to that 2010-11 team.  And this team has done and will do much better then 6-12.

Don't underestimate how physically talented many of these kids are and what another off-season and another year will do for them.  They will learn.

« Reply #219 on: February 15, 2013, 03:21:42 PM »
As long as we have continuity, Fordham, I'm with you (not to steal your Thunder, Moose).  Because I think if everyone comes back next year we are VERY good (and everyone should be back who is a contributor).