New Unis

• 68 replies
New Unis
« on: February 17, 2013, 01:21:13 PM »
Anybody notice the new unis Nova and duke are wearing?  They have the school's initial in bold on the front with the number underneath.  On the back is the team nickname and the number, no player names.  Since both are Nike schools I'm wondering if we're going that way as well.  Can't say that I like the look.

Re: New Unis
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 01:21:58 PM »
Anybody notice the new unis Nova and duke are wearing?  They have the school's initial in bold on the front with the number underneath.  On the back is the team nickname and the number, no player names.  Since both are Nike schools I'm wondering if we're going that way as well.  Can't say that I like the look.

Gtown had it as well. Was wondering what ours would have if we did. The stj combo letter thing?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 02:35:53 PM »
http://gamedayr.com/gamedayr/nike-hyper-elite-road-basketball-uniforms-2013/

Our jerseys are Nike Hyper Elite, but we did not have one of these designed for us. I can't stand the fact it doesn't have the player's name on the back, just the team nickname on every jersey

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 02:37:40 PM »

Our jerseys are Nike Hyper Elite, but we did not have one of these designed for us. I can't stand the fact it doesn't have the player's name on the back, just the team nickname on every jersey
Maybe they are all brothers from another mother! :)

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 02:43:09 PM »

Nike keeps doing less and less for St. John's. Under Armour is still in hot pursuit of St. John's and Lavin is a big reason why
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 04:06:12 PM »

Nike keeps doing less and less for St. John's. Under Armour is still in hot pursuit of St. John's and Lavin is a big reason why

There are other reasons notwithstanding of Lavin.  Lotta ties to STJ.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 06:55:39 PM »

Good to hear.  Under Armour is the biggest threat to Nike, and even though only nipping at their heels, they are gaining.  I'd have no problem with SJU going with Under Armour.

TheVig

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 10:38:33 PM »
That's interesting considering I believe the CEO of ua sued repole over Repoles use of similar symbol and name in his sports drink "body armour." ( I believe that's what it's called)
Check this article if you subscribe to the journal http://m.wsj.com/articles/a/SB10001424052702303919504577523290171134440?mg=reno64-wsj
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 10:41:06 PM by TheVig »

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 12:41:19 PM »

Any idea when our contract is up with Nike? I wouldn't mind them switching companies as it seems like Nike never makes new apparel for St. John's. Obviously, it would help if we won more, but they do an awful job.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 12:43:01 PM »

Good to hear.  Under Armour is the biggest threat to Nike, and even though only nipping at their heels, they are gaining.  I'd have no problem with SJU going with Under Armour.

I'm a big fan of Nike, but impossible not to take note of what UA is building. And it would be nice to get "A list" treatment from our equipment partner.

That said, be careful what you wish for. If the black jerseys make traditionalists on this site apoplectic, I can only imagine what would happen if we are in the hands of a company like UA.

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 01:25:32 PM »

I'm a big fan of Nike, but impossible not to take note of what UA is building. And it would be nice to get "A list" treatment from our equipment partner.

That said, be careful what you wish for. If the black jerseys make traditionalists on this site apoplectic, I can only imagine what would happen if we are in the hands of a company like UA.

Ha. They would definitely make us a jersey that looks like one of Carnesecca's sweaters.

pmg911

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 01:47:43 PM »
Has anyone here played a game of hoops in UA sneakers..?

Moose

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 01:48:25 PM »

Maryland beat Duke wearing them :)

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 02:40:58 PM »

Maryland beat Duke wearing them :)

Yeah, one red and one black one. ::)

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 03:47:44 PM »

The sneakers are the biggest deterrent however they have definitely improved over the past 12 months. I like their new spine sneakers a lot.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 04:37:37 PM »

Yeah, how exactly did guys like Jim Brown or Pete Maravich make it around the field/court without a set of Nike's???  ;-)

desco80

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 07:31:32 PM »
What are the dominant AAU teams wearing?   That's the brand i want us aligned with.   I couldn't care less if the uniform was green and our logo was a sea horse. 

desco80

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 07:32:31 PM »
Btw, are those grey uniforms still in the works?   
Moose, you know anything about that? 

Moose

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 07:39:16 PM »
Btw, are those grey uniforms still in the works?   
Moose, you know anything about that? 

Haven't heard much.  Knowing how low we are on the Nike totem pole there are probably production/delivery issues.

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 12:40:36 PM »
Anyone know anything about us possibly moving away from Nike soon? These tweets sound interesting.

@STJ_Basketball 7m
It's a @StJohnsU re-brand study, not specific to #stjbb. Waiting on results, but #stjbb making moves, too. RT @djgraziano: Another Rebrand?

@STJ_Basketball 34m
Hey, one-game win streak w/ the Blacks! Reserving all future apparel Tweets for this summer. #mystery #stjbb @RedStormHoopsFa @JeffGlotzer

@STJ_Basketball 40m
Sounds like your issue is with the logo. @StJohnsU undergoing rebrand study. Stay tuned. #stjbb RT @JeffGlotzer: Those fat letters though