New Unis

• 68 replies
Re: New Unis
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2013, 10:46:03 PM »
The St. John's full logo now is too big...it's rectangular. The "J" combined with the "T" confuses some people. Our logo other than the SJ never took off. We need a few alternates. Something more slick and sharp. Maybe a basketball only logo like Creighton has with a basketball in the background? I still think NYC has to be incorporated somehow. Experiment with different colors.

Why can't we have UA, Nike, and other brands advertise their best prototype and let the fans vote? Ask the fans at Oregon, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Nova, Maryland, etc. it's a coup to have new styles out there. Fans mostly dig it. Still don't understand why we have no throwback night with the 85 jerseys. So much can be done and we don't seem to put much effort in our image. I'd use the extra money from our new deal to focus on rebranding.

I think the logo, colors and elimination of blue is great.  One think about the logo is that I think the "T" in the STJ should have been written like a cross that widens at the top of the t.  A play on the Catholic school thing and more eye catching.  I love that we are mixing it up with white, black and gray.  Our primary color is red.  Aside from that, mixing in neutrals like white, black, gray makes sense more than blue. 

Why does gray and black make more sense then blue?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2013, 10:48:19 PM »
The St. John's full logo now is too big...it's rectangular. The "J" combined with the "T" confuses some people. Our logo other than the SJ never took off. We need a few alternates. Something more slick and sharp. Maybe a basketball only logo like Creighton has with a basketball in the background? I still think NYC has to be incorporated somehow. Experiment with different colors.

Why can't we have UA, Nike, and other brands advertise their best prototype and let the fans vote? Ask the fans at Oregon, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Nova, Maryland, etc. it's a coup to have new styles out there. Fans mostly dig it. Still don't understand why we have no throwback night with the 85 jerseys. So much can be done and we don't seem to put much effort in our image. I'd use the extra money from our new deal to focus on rebranding.

I think the logo, colors and elimination of blue is great.  One think about the logo is that I think the "T" in the STJ should have been written like a cross that widens at the top of the t.  A play on the Catholic school thing and more eye catching.  I love that we are mixing it up with white, black and gray.  Our primary color is red.  Aside from that, mixing in neutrals like white, black, gray makes sense more than blue. 

I'm not a fashionista but they go with everything ;)
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2013, 10:51:58 PM »
Baseball team used to wear dark blue hats in the 90's from what I remember.
And they were pretty good looking.

I didn't hate the dark blue to be honest.  I also didn't hate the grey uniforms from this season.    Colors schemes change.   Just keep your primary color, and make the changes gradually.

I'm a huge Giants fan and that franchise is as classic as it gets; yet 20 years ago red and especially grey were nowhere to be found in their uniforms.   Now they have a road uniform with literally no blue in it.   
Yet Giants fans don't bitch about that.   If the team wins and you make the changes gradually, nobody notices. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:59:49 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2013, 10:52:02 PM »

Haha my neither moose, but our colors are red and white, blue goes with that just as well as black or gray. I don't want an all blue jersey. Just a patch or a stripe. Those Hatten jerseys were awesome!

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2013, 10:52:37 PM »

Don't sell yourself short. Spring, 2014, what do you think? Neons or floral prints?

MCNPA

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2013, 10:54:57 PM »

Blue isn't neutral.  Black, gray and white are all neutrals and go with anything.  They aren't really colors.  Our coloris red.  White is secondary and black and gray as neutrals also work.  Eliminate the blue and it Llows us much more versatility with designs.

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2013, 11:01:51 PM »

Blue isn't neutral.  Black, gray and white are all neutrals and go with anything.  They aren't really colors.  Our coloris red.  White is secondary and black and gray as neutrals also work.  Eliminate the blue and it Llows us much more versatility with designs.

Agree to disagree. Don't think you need versatility if you have a great home and away jersey. Blue in our jersey wouldn't eliminate the option for a black or gray alternate. Those Hatten jerseys were the best we've had IMO.

Sorry for saying it over and over again.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 11:03:21 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »

Moose

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2013, 11:04:29 PM »

Don't sell yourself short. Spring, 2014, what do you think? Neons or floral prints?

I was always a fan of Zubazz pants and they are back.

desco80

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2013, 11:16:59 PM »
There's been more blue than people realize...

desco80

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2013, 11:17:39 PM »
More blue
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 11:17:59 PM by desco80 »

desco80

« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2013, 11:20:13 PM »
blue and black..

Moose

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2013, 11:20:38 PM »
Not seeing anything.

desco80

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2013, 11:30:23 PM »
I thought I copied and pasted, I'll see if I can fix it.   
I'm not advocating blue per se.   Just showing it existed even before the early 'storm' days.

http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=26753

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/d8hcmagw1myi0yeeheei/St._Johns_Red_Storm/1980/Alternate_Logo

http://shefsky.info/search/St-Johns-Red-Storm-StJ-Navy-DH-Hat-Zephyr

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2013, 11:34:05 PM »
For those who want blue-go root for Duke as someone has said.  :)

desco80

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2013, 11:36:26 PM »
I just stumbled on to this, but for anyone interested in the history of our logo and colors, this site is pretty cool: 
http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/850/St._Johns_Red_Storm/

Actually, it's interesting to see how a lot of different teams have changed branding over the years.   Not just colleges. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 11:36:46 PM by desco80 »

MCNPA

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2013, 11:38:32 PM »
We've used blue before but it's not an official color.  Our official color is red, hence the Redmen.  Aside from that, I think white, gray and black work the best.  Just my opinion.  Even Syracuse who is normally Orange and navy, is using gray/carbon in their new uniforms.

desco80

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2013, 11:41:18 PM »
We've used blue before but it's not an official color.  Our official color is red, hence the Redmen.  Aside from that, I think white, gray and black work the best.  Just my opinion.  Even Syracuse who is normally Orange and navy, is using gray/carbon in their new uniforms.

What you said before is very true, gray and black are basically neutrals and can be mixed with our traditional red and white in a multitude of ways.   
In most sports when a team adds an alternate jersey it's almost always gray or black.   

LJSA

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2013, 01:20:46 AM »
We need to get a lot of silver in there.

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2013, 03:19:06 AM »
I just stumbled on to this, but for anyone interested in the history of our logo and colors, this site is pretty cool: 
http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/850/St._Johns_Red_Storm/

Actually, it's interesting to see how a lot of different teams have changed branding over the years.   Not just colleges.

04-06 IMO was the golden era in terms of our jerseys, logos, and alternate logos. Air Jordan is the only brand that seemed to get it. No doubt we took a big step back with Nike. I'd beg Air Jordan to take us back, if they're too much I'd ask UA to make some prototypes...if the fans and the team like it and it's in the budget, sign the contract. If not, stay with Nike but tell them we are dropping them after 1 yr if they don't consider us one of their premier brands especially as we are about to get a ton of exposure ready to breakout nationally. UA is still late to the game in NCAA jerseys...I'm sure they would love to get that NYC hoops base to promote us and make some unique eye-catching apparrel. Does anyone know how official any of these talks were or any actual concrete plans?

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2013, 03:25:06 AM »

IMO these would look GREAT. St. John's spelled out in red script just like Maryland while keeping the red outline and the gray primary color. UA thinks outside the box and I love that. SJ should be more daring. It will get us more headlines, and create more excitement.