New C7 Conference Additions- who would you want ?

• 66 replies

Moose

Re: New C7 Conference Additions- who would you want ?
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2013, 03:09:32 PM »
The travel costs can definitely be an issue.

Keep in mind you have non-revenue sports that need to travel, the Olympic sports so to speak.  Women's Volleyball etc.

True.  Here is what women's vball did this year.

8/24 Road trip to Baltimore for tournament- 4 games
8/31 Road trip to New Britain CT- 3 games
10/6 Road trip to CHI- 1 game
10/7 Road trip to South Bend- 1 game
10/19 Road trip to Pitt- 1 game
10/21 Road trip to Tampa (USF)- 1 game
11/2 Road trip to Cuse- 1 game
11/4 Road trip to Marquette- 1 game
11/7 Road trip to Rutgers- 1 game
11/16 Road trip to Milwaukee (BE tourney)- 1 game

So a lot of one off trips.  They could work their way out west playing 2 games first or go west and work back.

Other way around too, Gonzaga has to make those trips to all those places.

Yeah but if they want part of the big conference I think they are willing.  They can make a bunch of multiple game trips.  I think its easier for 1 school to get on board as opposed to the rest honestly.
Remember who broke the Slice news

ras

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2013, 03:23:45 PM »
I want Gonzaga, Butler, and Xavier.

And then I want to wait to see if mass poachings drop a famous name or two in our laps.

St. Louis will always be there for the taking. No need to rush.
Those 3 are ideal for making the c7 a high level conference. If the logistics could be worked out ,Zags is  big time .

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2013, 07:02:51 PM »

Keep in mind you have non-revenue sports that need to travel, the Olympic sports so to speak.  Women's Volleyball etc.

So a lot of one off trips.  They could work their way out west playing 2 games first or go west and work back.

Yeah but if they want part of the big conference I think they are willing.  They can make a bunch of multiple game trips.  I think its easier for 1 school to get on board as opposed to the rest honestly.

Now we agree.  I was not saying the Big Smoke shouldn't want the Zags I was saying that the Zags need to do a cost/benefit analysis of if joining this conference is worth the added expenditure and also do an analysis of what the revenue implications might be.  I was guessing it doesn't make financial sense mostly for Gonzaga (and probably the other non BE schools who aren't going to see as much money nor as big an increase in their revenue if the deal works out as I've read, though I would imagine those schools don't have as much say, unless they said Zags in and we're out).

Moose

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2013, 07:13:10 PM »

Now we agree.  I was not saying the Big Smoke shouldn't want the Zags I was saying that the Zags need to do a cost/benefit analysis of if joining this conference is worth the added expenditure and also do an analysis of what the revenue implications might be.  I was guessing it doesn't make financial sense mostly for Gonzaga (and probably the other non BE schools who aren't going to see as much money nor as big an increase in their revenue if the deal works out as I've read, though I would imagine those schools don't have as much say, unless they said Zags in and we're out).

My understanding is they would welcome Gonzaga with open arms.  Its up to them if they want in.

MCNPA

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2013, 07:25:13 PM »
It's actually arguable that St. Louis is a better positioned program than Butler.  Better fan support and market.  Good coach.  Butler a nice program and certainly should be included, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss St. Louis who I think might be the more attractive program in the long run. 

Moose

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2013, 07:37:10 PM »
It's actually arguable that St. Louis is a better positioned program than Butler.  Better fan support and market.  Good coach.  Butler a nice program and certainly should be included, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss St. Louis who I think might be the more attractive program in the long run. 

I've been big STL proponent.  Over Richmond without a doubt for me.

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2013, 07:47:03 PM »

I've been big STL proponent.  Over Richmond without a doubt for me.

Me too.  Have them in the obvious top 3 with Xavier and Butler.