New C7 Conference Additions- who would you want ?

• 66 replies
New C7 Conference Additions- who would you want ?
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:24:24 AM »
West coast teams- Gonzaga, St Mary's Creighton left off for now.

Also teams with football UMass etc.

Max 5 votes
Molloy '71

sju89tr

Re: New C7 Conference Additions- who would you want ?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:35:28 AM »
They would never consider Murray State but I like that program. However it's a public school with less than 11K students. It's also not near any major media markets.

I really would like Butler Dayton Xavier VCU and like Richmond better than St Louis or Creighton but I cannot imagine St Louis being left out as it is a good TV market.   

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 10:41:04 AM »
You want not only strong teams, but teams that will help the TV contract.
I agree on St Louis for that reason.
Molloy '71

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:48:05 AM »
is there any chance gonzaga would join as a basketball-only member and park the rest of their sports in a low major west coast league?

i have to think that there is a solution out there given the money being discussed (ie - associate member @ $1.5M per year)

Tiger

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:55:52 AM »
I would focus on the TV market first and foremost.  The market size is a relative constant.  Programs rise and fall as coaches come and go, but the markets are more constant.  I would avoid including State schools as the resource advantages can be a too much for schools like Providence to compete with.  By cherry picking the schools with the good TV markets, it makes it more difficult (not impossible) for other leagues to rise to the same level.

TONYD3

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:28:24 AM »
I was against this idea. Starting to think it could workout . Think we should keep it as small as possible. Have to play tough out if conforence games. Would only let teams in if they were serious about basketball. Seton hall and DePaul should not be guaranteed entrance in the league. They stink and have very little fan support. They also don't seem to be getting better

Moose

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
I was against this idea. Starting to think it could workout . Think we should keep it as small as possible. Have to play tough out if conforence games. Would only let teams in if they were serious about basketball. Seton hall and DePaul should not be guaranteed entrance in the league. They stink and have very little fan support. They also don't seem to be getting better

Agree on your scheduling point.

Forget your next part.  They are part of the League and an integral part as they encompass two basketball hotbeds.

And remember every conference needs bottom feeders.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:31:34 AM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:34:36 AM »
The first thing I would do is lose that name. This isn't a religious basketball league. It's a D1 league in the NCAA. Religion has no place in it.

That said, I'd change the name to The Coastal League, or the Eastern League. I really don't care what the name as long as it welcomes the best teams.

Gonzaga and St.Mary's are simply too far away. This league needs to consider that rivalries need to be retained, and new ones need to be formed. Butler can work. VCU as well. Xavier certainly deserves respect despite an off year.

That's 10 teams. 5 good ones, and 5 that need to return to their former glory.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:40:37 AM by Poison »

sju89tr

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:36:36 AM »

Forget your next part.  They are part of the League and an integral part as they encompass two basketball hotbeds.

With 12 teams and likely 2 divisions, we will play 16 conference games a year. That allows a preseason tournament and roughly 14 out of conference games.

We will play about 5 games against lower tiered teams including locals such as NJIT, St Francis, Fordham, Manhattan etc.

That allows at least 7-8 solid opponents a year and would like to get some different schools on the schedule. I do see us playing UCONN and Syracuse yearly so that still allows 6 other games.   

Moose

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 11:38:55 AM »

With 12 teams and likely 2 divisions, we will play 16 conference games a year. That allows a preseason tournament and roughly 14 out of conference games.

We will play about 5 games against lower tiered teams including locals such as NJIT, St Francis, Fordham, Manhattan etc.

That allows at least 7-8 solid opponents a year and would like to get some different schools on the schedule. I do see us playing UCONN and Syracuse yearly so that still allows 6 other games.   

Its funny I wanted a lot of teams then I was sold on the lower number.  I'm still hoping for 10

sju89tr

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 11:40:17 AM »

Its funny I wanted a lot of teams then I was sold on the lower number.  I'm still hoping for 10

I like 12 but would not be disappointed with 10 if the 3 teams are Butler, Xavier, and Dayton.

I think Fox will require 12

Moose

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 11:41:50 AM »

I like 12 but would not be disappointed with 10 if the 3 teams are Butler, Xavier, and Dayton.

I think Fox will require 12

I voted Butler Xavier and STL.  Xavier might balk at Dayton

TONYD3

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 11:52:39 AM »
I have been to seton hall games. Don't think they could ever be good again. Kind of embarrassing with the black curtain.
Just like Rutgers football won't get the nyc football fans interest - DePaul is not Chicago

Moose

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 11:54:17 AM »
I have been to seton hall games. Don't think they could ever be good again. Kind of embarrassing with the black curtain.
Just like Rutgers football won't get the nyc football fans interest - DePaul is not Chicago

We could have black curtained games during the Norm years.  They can be good.  Too many good basketball players out of NJ.  DePaul is Chicago.  Once they either move to United Center or build their own arena they will be fine.

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 12:24:45 PM »
I went with the 4 expected plus Richmond (over VCU) although I really like VCU.  I think they share a common culture (private university) with the rest of the teams.  They were good under Beilein and could exceed that level in this ew league.

As far as the name, The Metro East is the best I can come up with.  I agree with Poison.  This is sports, not religion.  The C7 name needs to go.

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 12:39:07 PM »
How about The Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic League?

Foad

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 12:45:36 PM »
How about The Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic League?

BOOB

Basketball Only Or Bust

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 12:50:58 PM »
No way the eventual name will be Catholic 7.  That's just what the media and us are calling them now. How about "Big up East"?

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 01:00:14 PM »
Xavier and Dayton have a real nasty rivalry, need to include both. Butler has all but said they are in. Thats 10. St Louis for TV reasons. Throw in one more for FOX...George Mason would be nice but I doubt G-town would sign-off.

Moose

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 01:07:12 PM »
Xavier and Dayton have a real nasty rivalry, need to include both. Butler has all but said they are in. Thats 10. St Louis for TV reasons. Throw in one more for FOX...George Mason would be nice but I doubt G-town would sign-off.

Not sure about their rivalry.  Xavier has a rivalry with Cincy that is nasty.