Sanchez Still in the 2nd Row

• 222 replies

paultzman

Re: Sanchez Still in the 2nd Row
« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2013, 10:03:36 AM »
Late or not, the publicity on this will have a positive outcome IMO.

Moose

« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2013, 10:04:28 AM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8990418/orlando-sanchez-hopes-ncaa-hears-plea-lets-play-st-john-college-basketball

Another new wrinkle.  The rule has since been rescinded:

The bylaw that tripped up Sanchez, the one about his eligibility after the age of 21, has been, in effect, rescinded.

The change, however, didn't go into effect until August 2011, or a year too late for Sanchez, who was grandfathered into the old -- and now deemed faulty --legislation.

Yeah that adds to the biggest crock.  Even they know its a BS rule.  My confidence in this getting flipped is increasing more and more.

I want to know if we tabled the lawyer stuff because we knew the dog would be down after all the Miami hubbub.  Am I giving too much credit there?
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2013, 10:21:36 AM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8990418/orlando-sanchez-hopes-ncaa-hears-plea-lets-play-st-john-college-basketball

The bylaw that tripped up Sanchez, the one about his eligibility after the age of 21, has been, in effect, rescinded.

The change, however, didn't go into effect until August 2011, or a year too late for Sanchez, who was grandfathered into the old -- and now deemed faulty --legislation.

Yeah that adds to the biggest crock.  Even they know its a BS rule.  My confidence in this getting flipped is increasing more and more.

I want to know if we tabled the lawyer stuff because we knew the dog would be down after all the Miami hubbub.  Am I giving too much credit there?

Nope

MCNPA

« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2013, 10:35:43 AM »

Crazy thing is that the rule had already been rescinded as faulty it seems at the time Orlando's case was heard.  NCAA has just insisted on taking the hard line on an already overturned rule, just to be a bunch of dicks and I can't see any other reason theyd do this.  He hasn't accepted improper gifts or anything worse than just being 21 and playing 3 minutes in an exhibition game.  I can't see why there wouldn't be grounds for a waiver.   I knew the NCAA was bad, but this is ridiculous. 

ras

« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2013, 10:42:25 AM »
Im glad the story is getting out there. When you read it ,it makes you feel sorry for Sanchez and it makes the NCAA look like cold hearted jerks.

« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2013, 10:56:20 AM »
Lotta back story to disseminate. This has been germinatin fo months wit a carefully proceedin PR strategy that is bein fulfilled in the blitz you seein right now. Just took time to convince the powers that be that Orr was essential to right an injustice. Plus a lotta legwork for documentation.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:03:34 AM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

derk

« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2013, 11:05:09 AM »
Lotta back story to disseminate. This has been germinatin fo months wit a carefully proceedin PR strategy that is bein fulfilled in the blitz you seein right now. Just took time to convince the powers that be that Orr was essential to right an injustice.

Choz, you might've answered this question before I asked it. For Choz or anyone as I haven't followed this new development, but when was the NCAA ruling actually made ? And why was it not made public, either by the NCAA or the school until now.

Moose

« Reply #147 on: February 26, 2013, 11:11:41 AM »
Lotta back story to disseminate. This has been germinatin fo months wit a carefully proceedin PR strategy that is bein fulfilled in the blitz you seein right now. Just took time to convince the powers that be that Orr was essential to right an injustice.

Choz, you might've answered this question before I asked it. For Choz or anyone as I haven't followed this new development, but when was the NCAA ruling actually made ? And why was it not made public, either by the NCAA or the school until now.

All signs point to it being in November.  Same time as Marco.

« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2013, 11:13:20 AM »

When you think you still gotta shot within the system, you go fo it. Meant a lotta legwork.

When the system gets frustratin and you feel you in a Kafka-esque stranglehold, then you go outside hard and fast to the 4th estate fo the public sympathy.

Bully them thru the media as in: Yet another fudumb rule from a blind-as-a-bat hypocritical-to-the-core org whose approval rating is at an all time low.

« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2013, 11:15:56 AM »

Tru, but it was always open ended to re-appeal. Thats when the legwork came in. Let me tell you, it was all hands on deck.

Kinda wish we had Cecilia Chang in her prime on this one.

(Prolly too soon on that last one. My bad.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:16:43 AM by Choz4Life »

Moose

« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2013, 11:20:33 AM »

Tru, but it was always open ended to re-appeal. Thats when the legwork came in. Let me tell you, it was all hands on deck.

Kinda wish we had Cecilia Chang in her prime on this one.

(Prolly too soon on that last one. My bad.)

Agree on the legwork.  They were constantly trying to find the right paperwork and the right path to a positive outcome.  That being said Choz do you think they (STJ) in the back of their head were waiting for after Miami to go down and strike while the dog is down and the NCAA needed positive press to rehab their image?

boo3

« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2013, 11:28:55 AM »
 Makes sense to me , Moose.  Thanks for the input , Choz.. Informative as usual.

While , we as fans, feel like we are owed a response or an explanation, there seems to be a real good reason why this played out the way it did.  Orlando's future holds in the balance and that is a lot more important that satisfying the fans desire to receive answers in a prompt manner.

Moose

« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2013, 11:30:12 AM »
Makes sense to me , Moose.  Thanks for the input , Choz.. Informative as usual.

While , we as fans, feel like we are owed a response or an explanation, there seems to be a real good reason why this played out the way it did.  Orlando's future holds in the balance and that is a lot more important that satisfying the fans desire to receive answers in a prompt manner.

Plus comes a point where you step back and say is 15 games of Orlando worth it?  Or do you do it so late in the game that we're only talking next year but a full year. 

« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2013, 11:32:06 AM »
I dont think Miami was a decidin factor, but like the fella say: it sure dont hurt.

paultzman

« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2013, 11:38:15 AM »
At least by the end of this week or early next week we should get NCAA answer.

"The documentation was sent on the stationery of the law firm of Poyner Spruill, named one of the nation’s best law firms in 2013 by U.S. News & World Report. Attorney Robert Orr of Pyner Spruill, who is representing Sanchez, said he is optimistic the NCAA will rule in his client’s favor by the end of the week.

If the NCAA denies the waiver, Sanchez has one more appeal before an NCAA subcommittee. Should that also fail, Sanchez and St. John’s would have to decide whether to pursue legal action." Lenn Robbins
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:40:02 AM by paultzman »

boo3

« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2013, 11:42:21 AM »
 Is a 25 year old Sanchez more valuable to this team, next season, than Jermaine Lawrence, a kid who wants to be a 1 and done? On the surface, i would think absolutely.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:42:34 AM by boo3 »

paultzman

« Reply #156 on: February 26, 2013, 11:46:40 AM »
Is a 25 year old Sanchez more valuable to this team, next season, than Jermaine Lawrence, a kid who wants to be a 1 and done? On the surface, i would think absolutely.

Agree!

« Reply #157 on: February 26, 2013, 11:49:06 AM »

ABSOLUTELY! and he doesn't come with any crazy baggage!

« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2013, 11:54:18 AM »
Feeling very positive for the first time since Zags article several weeks ago.  Another negative decision based on the compeling personal story would be public relations suicide for the NCAA.  Would be a lot more explaining to do for the NCAA if they say "no."

« Reply #159 on: February 26, 2013, 12:00:08 PM »
While I sympathize wit the optimism, I put nuthin past a monopoly that answers to no one.

Get some bad press, then delay, delay, delay, delay and make a decision in late August when no one but Johnny Jungle is paying attention.