Sanchez Still in the 2nd Row

• 222 replies
Sanchez Still in the 2nd Row
« on: February 20, 2013, 11:13:16 PM »
He is still with team and sat behind bench with Hooper and God's Gift. What in the world is going on with his eligibility. I give him all the credit in the world for sticking with it. I can't believe he would still be here if it was hopeless. It is also so late in the season that there must be a plan for him to play here, if all goes well, next year. There is clearly a back story here. Any speculation?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:20:55 PM by Dave »

paultzman

Re: Sanchez
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 11:15:19 PM »
He is still with team and sat behind bench with Hooper and God's Gift. What in the world is going on with his eligibility. I give him all the credit in the world for sticking with it. I can't believe he would still be here if it was hopeless. It is also so late in the season that there must be a plan for him to play here, if all goes well, next year. There is clearly a back story here. Any speculation?

Perplexing to say the least.

MCNPA

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 11:16:15 PM »

Only speculation.  Any chance they think they can get him for next year?  I'd think he might be too old, but I have nothing else.  Don't know why he's still with us unless he's still trying to get eligible for next year.  No other idea...

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 11:17:28 PM »
I was thinking the same thing.  There must be some hope that he will play next year.  I'm hoping the NCAA just announces that he is "suspended" for this year and can play next year.  Otherwise, he is sticking it out for his degree.  If that's the case, I commend him.

Moose

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 11:20:53 PM »

Only speculation.  Any chance they think they can get him for next year?  I'd think he might be too old, but I have nothing else.  Don't know why he's still with us unless he's still trying to get eligible for next year.  No other idea...

Age has nothing to do with it.  If by some miracle its reversed and he's given eligibility it sure would be a nice injection next year.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Re: Sanchez Still in the 2nd Row
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:22:37 PM »
In all likely hood he'll sign an overseas deal next year. According to some students I know on campus Sanchez just cooks guys in Taffner on a daily basis. It's just a show he puts on.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:23:16 PM »
In all likely hood he'll sign an overseas deal next year. According to some students I know on campus Sanchez just cooks guys in Taffner on a daily basis. It's just a show he puts on.

Your last point can best be summed up as Knife + Midsection + Turn.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:29:30 PM »
I have heard that he is doing well in school gradewise. Whatever the story is, lesser men would have quit by now. He is on other end of the character spectrum from the self proclaimed star who quit us  and is now burning it up at Rider!

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 07:48:48 AM »
If Sanchez gets his degree, would he be potentially eligible for a graduate year of competition at any school?

CC

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 12:10:04 PM »

People who watch practice have told me he is our best player.

NYCoffey

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 12:14:45 PM »
Maybe he is sticking with the team so that he can help us in practice while he works towards his degree. Its already paid for so we might as well use him to help us get better even if he cant play in games. Especially with such a young team, a 24 year old player is probably a big asset to the coaching staff in practice. I'm hoping that they're hoping he is eligible for next year, but it already got rejected on appeals so I don't know  how they would swing getting him cleared.

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 12:27:40 PM »
Maybe St. Johns is sticking by the young man and doing what is right for him.  Going the extra mile to help a student reach their degree instead of dropping him from the team.  Somewhat similar to a football program sticking with their scholarship offer to a HS athlete who blows a knee out or is diagnosed with a career ending injury.  Good Samaritan\PR\Mojo\Karma\ (however you look at it).

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 12:37:12 PM »
As I stated erarlier in a back and for the with Poison at this point why withdraw from school?

As far as I know he can stay on Scholarship which means a free education, access to SJU facilities so he can keep himself in shape and then come Spring and Summer probably get ready to play overseas.

Even without eligibility at this point there is really no downside to staying in school.

paultzman

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 12:38:02 PM »
Recent rumor about Sanchez taking legal action against NCAA has not been confirmed.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 12:40:44 PM »
Perhaps he can get a college degree and major in NCAA Compliance. Then, St.John's could hire him. Clearly they have a glaring need.

LJSA

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 10:08:32 PM »
If he's this good, he may as well stick around and get some practice in against D1-caliber players while also getting an education.

Plus, he should stick around until pre-draft camps to see if he can get an invite and land an NBA contract. Why go overseas before you investigate your prospects fully here? Better money here plus weak draft makes this a no-brainer to me.

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 10:14:02 PM »
If he's this good, he may as well stick around and get some practice in against D1-caliber players while also getting an education.

true. plus it's a very weak draft.

Plus, he should stick around until pre-draft camps to see if he can get an invite and land an NBA contract. Why go overseas before you investigate your prospects fully here? Better money here plus weak draft makes this a no-brainer to me.

Tiznow

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 11:19:31 PM »
Recent rumor about Sanchez taking legal action against NCAA has not been confirmed.

Maybe he can hire Jay Bilas to take on his case

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 09:30:26 AM »
Th
Maybe St. Johns is sticking by the young man and doing what is right for him.  Going the extra mile to help a student reach their degree instead of dropping him from the team.  Somewhat similar to a football program sticking with their scholarship offer to a HS athlete who blows a knee out or is diagnosed with a career ending injury.  Good Samaritan\PR\Mojo\Karma\ (however you look at it).

Reminiscent of Norm's treatment of Rob Thomas which was one of the most impressive aspects of the coach's career at St. John's.

Moose

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 09:46:25 AM »
Th

Reminiscent of Norm's treatment of Rob Thomas which was one of the most impressive aspects of the coach's career at St. John's.

Actually Lavin was the one who kept him on squad when it was deemed further play would damage his knee beyond repair.