Sanchez Still in the 2nd Row

• 222 replies
Re: Sanchez Still in the 2nd Row
« Reply #160 on: February 26, 2013, 12:17:51 PM »
I was feeling more and more confident over the last few days. Than I saw that the bylaw that is working against Orlando has since been removed? You have got to be kidding me.  Let the kid play for goodness sake
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2013, 12:22:36 PM »
“@JayBilas: Great article by Dana O'Neil on why NCAA won't let SJU's Orlando Sanchez play ball because of three minutes: http://es.pn/15glYAu

Tha Kid

« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2013, 12:27:59 PM »
This is a travesty.  It's great that it's all getting out there.  The fact that 3:38 is counted as a season for him is unbelievable.  Even the 8 games in the Dominican.   I think he deserves 2 full seasons.  Let's hope he gets at least 1.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2013, 12:33:17 PM »
If he is as good as some were saying wouldn't it make sense for some NBA team to draft him in 2nd round?

DFF6

« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2013, 12:39:59 PM »
If he is as good as some were saying wouldn't it make sense for some NBA team to draft him in 2nd round?

Of course.  He'll probably go around the same time as Nuri.   ;)

derk

« Reply #165 on: February 26, 2013, 12:40:34 PM »
Who knows what, if anything will work, but it's past time for the ESPN'S , (I shudder to say) Dickie V's of the world, etc. to jump on our bandwagon on this.

boo3

« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2013, 12:40:56 PM »

He has to declare and be eligible first.  Sounds like he wants to get his degree and play at St. John's.

paultzman

« Reply #167 on: February 26, 2013, 12:44:42 PM »
“@ebosshoops: Been asking all year about Orlando Sanchez, ESPN's Dana O'Neil with a great article on his status http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8990418/orlando-sanchez-hopes-ncaa-hears-plea-lets-play-st-john-college-basketball

“@ebosshoops: Sanchez should be a story of personal triumph and refusal to quit, instead NCAA refusing to let him play. Should be surprised, but I'm not.”

“@ebosshoops: These are the situations that really get to me. NCAA basically telling Sanchez he should have done more to change his life and situations”
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:47:08 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #168 on: February 26, 2013, 12:46:43 PM »
He is a straight up baller, prolly best described as a point forward.
But the hyperbole of his game has been a bit much, as in over the top.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

paultzman

« Reply #169 on: February 26, 2013, 12:48:48 PM »
More Bossi;

“@ebosshoops: Sanchez, judging by this story, should be poster boy for everything that we all want out of a student athlete. Totally mind numbing to me.”

“@ebosshoops: #freeorlandosanchez”

redslope

« Reply #170 on: February 26, 2013, 12:50:18 PM »
“@JayBilas: Great article by Dana O'Neil on why NCAA won't let SJU's Orlando Sanchez play ball because of three minutes: http://es.pn/15glYAu
great article by Dana--thanks for posting paultzman!!

the fact that he will be only 23 credits short of graduation at end of this semester shows what he has put into school work and for that alone he should be embraced by the NCAA as the poster boy for STUDENT athlete rather than being a case of a dream denied.  If the NCAA continues being this assinine, I would donate to an Orlando legal fund at SJU--just make your contribution one that is directed for that purpose.

mkras99

« Reply #171 on: February 26, 2013, 12:50:36 PM »
Hope Orlando's situation works out better than Todd O'Brien's did last year.

« Reply #172 on: February 26, 2013, 12:51:57 PM »
He has to declare and be eligible first.  Sounds like he wants to get his degree and play at St. John's.

Didn't some announcer say he could start now in NBA? Marillac seems to think he is overated (which is scary considering he liked Geno and the Circle) Choz kind of seconded that to a degree as well.
If there is a shot he could get drafted you would think he would jump at it considering his age.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:52:40 PM by we are sju »

paultzman

« Reply #173 on: February 26, 2013, 12:54:14 PM »
At the very least, SJU & Orlando giving their best shot. One can safely say we are due for some good fortune. Ha!

Moose

« Reply #174 on: February 26, 2013, 01:08:22 PM »

Didn't some announcer say he could start now in NBA? Marillac seems to think he is overated (which is scary considering he liked Geno and the Circle) Choz kind of seconded that to a degree as well.
If there is a shot he could get drafted you would think he would jump at it considering his age.

Earl Watson said it and Jay Williams rehashed it.
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2013, 01:11:51 PM »

Kind of remember some announcer mention that, but I'm not sure I would base anything off of that.  From everything we have seen written, the kid is set on getting his degree and playing a season here. I guess if your 24 and waiting this long, what is another season?

Tough to get drafted having sat out an entire season. If he could play one season against BE competition and excel, then his status would be a lot better.  Most kids in his situation would be long gone, so I hope he gets exactly what he wants.

MCNPA

« Reply #176 on: February 26, 2013, 02:39:40 PM »
I don't care if he's nba-ready.  He deserves to play NCAA ball and we really need a guy in the frontcourt that can rebound, pass and score.  Sanchez would make SJU pretty powerful in the frontcourt next year, and would do a service to himself getting his degree and showing what he can or can't do for NBA scouts.  Add Sanchez, Rysheed, Gift and Hooper to the guys we have now and we are ready to roll out the balls for a big season next year.

Moose

« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2013, 02:46:41 PM »
I don't care if he's nba-ready.  He deserves to play NCAA ball and we really need a guy in the frontcourt that can rebound, pass and score.  Sanchez would make SJU pretty powerful in the frontcourt next year, and would do a service to himself getting his degree and showing what he can or can't do for NBA scouts.  Add Sanchez, Rysheed, Gift and Hooper to the guys we have now and we are ready to roll out the balls for a big season next year.

Hahahaha

I don't want to ask how you plan on adding all these parts.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2013, 02:49:56 PM »

Kind of remember some announcer mention that, but I'm not sure I would base anything off of that.  From everything we have seen written, the kid is set on getting his degree and playing a season here. I guess if your 24 and waiting this long, what is another season?

Tough to get drafted having sat out an entire season. If he could play one season against BE competition and excel, then his status would be a lot better.  Most kids in his situation would be long gone, so I hope he gets exactly what he wants.

Jay Williams said it.  Specifically Jay said that Earl Watson thought Sanchez could start for the Utah Jazz. 

Don't put any value on that, as I'm sure the STJ PR team fed Jay that quote.

« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »
From everything I've read if Sanchez is declared eligible I believe he will stay at St. John's for a year, finish his degree and play for us.

We're getting good publicity out of this and if he qualifies it will multiply exponentially.

Another great story line for Lavin and broadcasters to get maximum mileage out of.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 03:05:13 PM by qcredman »