The crowd at our last home game

• 77 replies
The crowd at our last home game
« on: February 20, 2013, 11:19:45 PM »
Arena was sold out tonight, parking was scarce, there was energy in the building, and the crowd was into the game. Gave us a huge advantage. Where have they been all year?

Moose

Re: The crowd at our last home game
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 11:21:14 PM »
Arena was sold out tonight, parking was scarce, there was energy in the building, and the crowd was into the game. Gave us a huge advantage. Where have they been all year?

Give out a free bobblehead and I bet you it would be sold out every game, sadly.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:21:27 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 11:25:35 PM »
The crowd was loud tonight?? I was sitting near the court and it was fairly quiet. I was lucky enough to get really good seats tonight and I've been in the "season ticket holder" sections a number of times this year. It is quieter than a morgue in these areas. We go on a great run to open a game in which we had to win to stay on the bubble. This is an exciting time for basketball. Not ONCE did our esteemed season ticket holders give our team a standing ovation. Not during this early run, not after holding USF to less than 20 points going into halftime, and not as the clock wound down. My friend and I were often the only ones standing after big players in our area of sitting. For a big game, that atmosphere was awful and quite frankly I don't want to see St. John's fans complaining about the student section. At least THEY'RE loud and they try to set up a home atmosphere.

I was at the St. John's-Syracuse game last weekend at the Carrier Dome. At the start of each half, the ENTIRE Syracuse crowd stands and claps until they score. Even the elderly ones. And you know what else they do?? They get up off their feet when the OPPOSING TEAM makes runs. When St. John's cut the lead to 7 that game the entire Syracuse rose up and clapped to lift their team back up.

I don't know WHY our crowd consistently stinks in terms of crowd noise. All I know is people need to show up and be loud and obnoxious on Sunday and I don't want to hear anymore about the student doing their part in this until our season ticket holders and others can start reasonably holding up their end. Let's be LOUD and obnoxious and on our feet on Sunday!!
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Moose

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 11:27:08 PM »
The crowd was loud tonight?? I was sitting near the court and it was fairly quiet. I was lucky enough to get really good seats tonight and I've been in the "season ticket holder" sections a number of times this year. It is quieter than a morgue in these areas. We go on a great run to open a game in which we had to win to stay on the bubble. This is an exciting time for basketball. Not ONCE did our esteemed season ticket holders give our team a standing ovation. Not during this early run, not after holding USF to less than 20 points going into halftime, and not as the clock wound down. My friend and I were often the only ones standing after big players in our area of sitting. For a big game, that atmosphere was awful and quite frankly I don't want to see St. John's fans complaining about the student section. At least THEY'RE loud and they try to set up a home atmosphere.

I was at the St. John's-Syracuse game last weekend at the Carrier Dome. At the start of each half, the ENTIRE Syracuse crowd stands and claps until they score. Even the elderly ones. And you know what else they do?? They get up off their feet when the OPPOSING TEAM makes runs. When St. John's cut the lead to 7 that game the entire Syracuse rose up and clapped to lift their team back up.

I don't know WHY our crowd consistently stinks in terms of crowd noise. All I know is people need to show up and be loud and obnoxious on Sunday and I don't want to hear anymore about the student doing their part in this until our season ticket holders and others can start reasonably holding up their end. Let's be LOUD and obnoxious and on our feet on Sunday!!

As I responded on the other board to your same post

I can sum up what you wrote with one specific incident.

After the halftime ceremony the students started a WE ARE ST JOHNS chant. Nobody outside of the students really bothered to join in.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:34:14 PM by simplyred »

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:31:43 PM »
Yeah the crowd definitely was not loud.  We've had two games this year that were louder.  Nice to see it filled to the rafters though.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:34:13 PM »
Crowd was as good as it can be. And it was what we should strive for every home game.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:34:19 PM »
The part about there being no standing ovations isn't true. I sat a few sections higher up and people were frequently standing, and everyone was standing as the clock wound down, after the Marco dunk. Something else to remember is that the Lou sorta kills sound, especially any sound from fans on the second tier. It just goes into that weird ceiling/overhang and dies.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:41:02 PM »
What is this BS about a lack of standing ovations? You're playing USF. This is expected. Wait until your 80. See how easy it is to stand up and applaud every time we score a layup.

People keep bitching about the average age of the SJ's fan at Alumni Hall. But it is the younger generation who needs to step it up, and stand up when we are playing well. Thing is, you have to show up first before your voice will garner any respect.

As it stands now, it isn't the youth who deserve a voice at all IMO.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 11:46:31 PM »
What is this BS about a lack of standing ovations? You're playing USF. This is expected. Wait until your 80. See how easy it is to stand up and applaud every time we score a layup.

People keep bitching about the average age of the SJ's fan at Alumni Hall. But it is the younger generation who needs to step it up, and stand up when we are playing well. Thing is, you have to show up first before your voice will garner any respect.

It was "expected" for Syracuse fans that they beat us.  That didn't stop them from standing and being loud for huge parts of the game.  And that includes the elderly.  And newsflash: the younger ones ARE the ones that are being loud.  The small student section are the ones making the bulk of the noise. 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Moose

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 11:47:53 PM »

You know how many times I see people stand and others tell them to sit down

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 11:52:39 PM »

You know how many times I see people stand and others tell them to sit down

And that's exactlyyyy the type of archaic attitude that has destroyed the home crowd environment at St. John's games.  That and some overly politically correct administrators/security/fans that get upset over people screaming things like "you suck."

Poison

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 12:40:14 AM »
Sly Fox was packed after the game with the Legends couldn't even get in. Saw coach Hines at Regina's after. Great atmosphere on Union after the game. Upset I can't go to the Pitt game but it's my dad's bday. Hope people head out.

Moose

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 01:36:28 AM »
Sly Fox was packed after the game with the Legends couldn't even get in. Saw coach Hines at Regina's after. Great atmosphere on Union after the game. Upset I can't go to the Pitt game but it's my dad's bday. Hope people head out.

What's Regina's ?

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 01:41:06 AM »

What's Regina's ?

The pizzeria on the corner of Union and Utopia across from Chase bank.

Moose

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 01:45:56 AM »

What's Regina's ?

Ahhh. Been in there and enjoyed the slice but don't they close like pretty early?

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 01:49:56 AM »

What's Regina's ?

Ahhh. Been in there and enjoyed the slice but don't they close like pretty early?

Yeah they close at 10 usually.  On Wednesday's and Friday's the place to go is Vincenzo's which is on Union across from Dunkin Donuts.  They're open until 11 and have slices for $1.25 on those days.

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 02:25:11 AM »

What's Regina's ?

Yeah they close at 10 usually.  On Wednesday's and Friday's the place to go is Vincenzo's which is on Union across from Dunkin Donuts.  They're open until 11 and have slices for $1.25 on those days.

Vincenzo's = great thin crust pizza

Moose

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 02:27:13 AM »

What's Regina's ?

Oh I know that place VERY well haha