Pitt game discussion

• 347 replies
Re: Pitt game discussion
« Reply #240 on: February 24, 2013, 06:04:18 PM »
On a lighter note did anyone else see the exchange between Jim Burr and the fans in the front row?  He kicked one of them out and his friends kept riding Burr telling him Higgins is better and that he should retire, stuff like that.  Burr multiple times during the game shouted back at the guys, once during Amir Garrett's free throw attempt and then as he was running down the floor gave them a thumbs up.  After the game Burr runs right over to the guys and they start yelling at each other and security had to separate them and then Burr ran into the tunnel.  The guy belongs nowhere near a basketball floor, he is simply too old.
we saw the guy getting kicked out but missed that exchange at the end. Must have been funny to watch or listen to

Poison

« Reply #241 on: February 24, 2013, 06:05:05 PM »
So what did our young Johnnies learn today?

« Reply #242 on: February 24, 2013, 06:07:04 PM »
mr.keady, who I love , must have written a book by now while sitting on the bench. Perhaps he could edit it, make copies and pass them out to the boys. PLEASE!

Tiznow

« Reply #243 on: February 24, 2013, 06:19:08 PM »
On a lighter note did anyone else see the exchange between Jim Burr and the fans in the front row?  He kicked one of them out and his friends kept riding Burr telling him Higgins is better and that he should retire, stuff like that.  Burr multiple times during the game shouted back at the guys, once during Amir Garrett's free throw attempt and then as he was running down the floor gave them a thumbs up.  After the game Burr runs right over to the guys and they start yelling at each other and security had to separate them and then Burr ran into the tunnel.  The guy belongs nowhere near a basketball floor, he is simply too old.
we saw the guy getting kicked out but missed that exchange at the end. Must have been funny to watch or listen to

And Burr was giving us calls for most of the day. 

paultzman

« Reply #244 on: February 24, 2013, 06:21:19 PM »

Amazing we were in double bonus early in second half, but could not capitalize.

Tiznow

« Reply #245 on: February 24, 2013, 06:25:19 PM »
So what did our young Johnnies learn today?

They learned that teams in the BE will lock you down.  Pitt looked strong today, but I still won't play them in my NCAA pool. 

Tiznow

« Reply #246 on: February 24, 2013, 06:27:27 PM »

Amazing we were in double bonus early in second half, but could not capitalize.

They had 9 with 12:51 to go.  They bumped and pushed just as much for the rest of the way and the whistles went quiet...life in the Big East.  With how things went today, our team would have missed the free throws.

« Reply #247 on: February 24, 2013, 06:32:39 PM »
So I guess now Burr will give us all the calls...not. As Bill Parcells used to say you are what your record says you are and it is the same with shooting percentages over the course of the whole season. I am at the point of questioning if Dlo is actually a good shooter. Don't know his fg or 3 percemtages but they can't be that good anymore. His threes today were not even close. Listen, every time he takes an open 3 no matter how deep I am expecting it to go in but percentage wise it is not. Not to get on the kid but i just don't think he is as good as most of us thought he was-his main job is to score, he takes the most shots and the second half of the season he has not scored very much. Maybe he should take the contacts back out. Anyway hopefully he improves his scoring and shooting next year by working hard and improving shot selection.

« Reply #248 on: February 24, 2013, 06:36:19 PM »
Harrison doesn't have the quickness or athletic ability to seperate himself from a skilled defender.  The only kid that can create a shot on this team against top competition is Phil Greene.  Watching Sampson and Pointer handle the ball from the perimeter is just painful...watching them try to shoot off the dribble is even worse.

This is not a tournament team...they simply do not deserve it.  Time to set our sights on next year. 

Harrison really needs to work on driving with his left hand. Everything is to his right. Only a Soph, so plently of time to work on his game.

« Reply #249 on: February 24, 2013, 06:48:53 PM »
There will be next to no Pitt fans there.  They don't travel that well but 15k for us?  No bobbleheads tomorrow.

Your guess moose?

If its more than 10 I'd be shocked and pleasantly surprised

Good call, was only a bit over 9K.

« Reply #250 on: February 24, 2013, 08:16:57 PM »

Yeah the last minute of game time was just this guy and Burr going back and forth.  When he ran over to the guy I honestly thought they were gonna exchange shoves but security was right there to step in between then Wally Rutecki guided Burr into the tunnel.

« Reply #251 on: February 24, 2013, 09:00:46 PM »
My only comment is Pitt is a physical, well disciplined team with a solid offensive system. They may not score a ton of points, but against a zone, for example, have a very refined passing game with distinct roles for each player. In man, they bump, hedge well, push and physically wear you down. All in all, nicely coached.

On the way out I ran into a local HS coach of many years who kindly noted "SJU's offensive system must be a work in progress." Enough said.

Shouldnt be a work in progress this late in the year or year 2 since most of the kids were around.

I dont think its the offensive sets I think its that our guys still have limitations in their games.

Moose

« Reply #252 on: February 24, 2013, 09:09:41 PM »
My only comment is Pitt is a physical, well disciplined team with a solid offensive system. They may not score a ton of points, but against a zone, for example, have a very refined passing game with distinct roles for each player. In man, they bump, hedge well, push and physically wear you down. All in all, nicely coached.

On the way out I ran into a local HS coach of many years who kindly noted "SJU's offensive system must be a work in progress." Enough said.

Shouldnt be a work in progress this late in the year or year 2 since most of the kids were around.

I dont think its the offensive sets I think its that our guys still have limitations in their games.

Dribbling for 30 seconds around the perimeter is not a set.

Also should be playing to teams strengths.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #253 on: February 24, 2013, 09:11:22 PM »

Thing is, dribbling around for 30 seconds is the team strength

« Reply #254 on: February 24, 2013, 09:13:30 PM »

Its not but if our guys games were further developed they wouldn't have that problem

MCNPA

« Reply #255 on: February 24, 2013, 09:14:21 PM »
It's not the offensive sets, plays or anything else.  We just couldn't drop the ball In the bucket today.  Need a pg that can penetrate.  Could us somebody else that can create.   Our best scorers didn't come to play today. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:15:07 PM by MCNPA »

Moose

« Reply #256 on: February 24, 2013, 09:17:39 PM »

Its not but if our guys games were further developed they wouldn't have that problem

Well then I'm not quite sure what to say.  Roll the ball out and let them free flow and play then?

« Reply #257 on: February 24, 2013, 09:21:44 PM »

Well then I'm not quite sure what to say.  Roll the ball out and let them free flow and play then?

Of course not but having offensive freedom can be very beneficial given the right parts. Problem is we dont have a guy who can get everyone involved, we aren't a great shooting team and dont have a low post threat. What kind of offense would you like to see them run?

Moose

« Reply #258 on: February 24, 2013, 09:25:31 PM »

Of course not but having offensive freedom can be very beneficial given the right parts. Problem is we dont have a guy who can get everyone involved, we aren't a great shooting team and dont have a low post threat. What kind of offense would you like to see them run?

I'm not a basketball expert.  Never claimed to be.  But as I've said numerous times this year our offense at times can be worse than waterboarding.  You don't see that when you watch other games and I watch a lot.

If we aren't a good shooting team why do we have 4 guys running weave around the perimeter and a team allergic to the paint?  There comes a point when your nose to spite your face by trying to fit the square into the circle with what we're running.  I'm sure there is a stat geek efficiency stat that shows that.

« Reply #259 on: February 24, 2013, 09:26:47 PM »
A Tough game.  Blame falls on the kids for not making any shots in second half. Happens I guess but tough to swallow when the game meant so much. D Lo did not have  it but refuse to kill this kid after all those games he carried us offensively.  Love the future prospects but have to say that I am bit disappointed no one has stepped up as a third scorer behind d lo and jakaar.  Last point is on baldi.. love how when we win he comes in with a quick missed the game post but great job .  They lose and he has 50 snarky comments about the staff and kids.  Great stuff. Keeping it real though I guess?