Pitt game discussion

• 347 replies

paultzman

Re: Pitt game discussion
« Reply #220 on: February 24, 2013, 05:01:58 PM »
My only comment is Pitt is a physical, well disciplined team with a solid offensive system. They may not score a ton of points, but against a zone, for example, have a very refined passing game with distinct roles for each player. In man, they bump, hedge well, push and physically wear you down. All in all, nicely coached.

On the way out I ran into a local HS coach of many years who kindly noted "SJU's offensive system must be a work in progress." Enough said.

Moose

« Reply #221 on: February 24, 2013, 05:03:18 PM »
My only comment is Pitt is a physical, well disciplined team with a solid offensive system. They may not score a ton of points, but against a zone, for example, have a very refined passing game with distinct roles for each player. In man, they bump, hedge well, push and physically wear you down. All in all, nicely coached.

On the way out I ran into a local HS coach of many years who kindly noted "SJU's offensive system must be a work in progress." Enough said.

Shouldnt be a work in progress this late in the year or year 2 since most of the kids were around.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #222 on: February 24, 2013, 05:04:51 PM »
Just one hell of a frustrating way to kill a Sunday.

Poison

« Reply #223 on: February 24, 2013, 05:05:07 PM »
Anyone catch Orlando Antigua and Carl Krauser at the game? Ignoring Krauser killed us, and ignited the NY to Pitt connection. Antigua sucked as a player. I guess he thinks he's a coach now.

paultzman

« Reply #224 on: February 24, 2013, 05:05:25 PM »

Shouldnt be a work in progress this late in the year or year 2 since most of the kids were around.

I guess that's why my "coach friend" had a smirk on his face when he said it. Frankly so did I.

Moose

« Reply #225 on: February 24, 2013, 05:06:13 PM »
Anyone catch Orlando Antigua and Carl Krauser at the game? Ignoring Krauser killed us, and ignited the NY to Pitt connection. Antigua sucked as a player. I guess he thinks he's a coach now.

Oliver not Orlando

« Reply #226 on: February 24, 2013, 05:07:18 PM »
Still a work in progress, because we have not had a pg to run the system in 2 years.  Lyndsey was supposed to do it but he turned out to be a flake which is why we got branch to come in and run pg.  Im not saying it was perfect when he was in, but it was much better over that stretch of 5 games we won with him there.  The wins were not great but playing against those teams was supposed to have him built up to be a pg where we could execute against the better teams. Then he gets hurt and we are back where we were before him again.

paultzman

« Reply #227 on: February 24, 2013, 05:15:20 PM »
A breakdown of Phil Greene's shooting % in the second half of games would probably be very telling.

« Reply #228 on: February 24, 2013, 05:18:59 PM »
A breakdown of Phil Greene's shooting % in the second half of games would probably be very telling.

Lavin HAS to recruit a JUCO PG to play in tandem with Branch. Greene should come of the bench and the games he hits 40% of his shots he plays and otherwise he sits. I don't think I can take another season or two with Greene playing any minutes at the point.

« Reply #229 on: February 24, 2013, 05:27:53 PM »
The way our roster is constructed, we can't survive a D-lo 1-12 performance against a solid top 25 team, which is what Pittsburgh is.  That is especially the case in game where Jakar doesn't have his midrange game really going, and Branch is a non-factor from injury.  Besides the fact that we can't make the points up elsewhere, D-lo helps open things up for everyone else.

On the Greene point, you hit on the point everyone has raised all year.  In lesser minutes he is a valuable option.  The more minutes he plays, the less effective he is.

ras

« Reply #230 on: February 24, 2013, 05:31:47 PM »
I dont understand DLO. He played much better last year.

« Reply #231 on: February 24, 2013, 05:38:46 PM »
there will be 8000 max there tomorrow and the sad thing is that half the regular posters on this board will not be there. And those that are not there  will be the most critical of the team and coach---and of the crowd! Funny how that works.

Let's hope the few posters who enjoy seeing this program lose have a bad day tomorrow. 

I do agree that Pitt travels poorly.  There was a mid week Pitt game about five years ago that drew about 4k at MSG. 

This is a big game this year, but few outside of the StJ crowd care right now.  It would be different if the team was in the top 20.

I'm just hoping to see section 114 full of happy johnny fans at about 2 PM tomorrow.
where in 114 are you ? Paultzman and I both sit there

Sitting behind you and next to Ralph with the other nuts.
well time to get RedmenRalph to start posting :)

Moose

« Reply #232 on: February 24, 2013, 05:39:19 PM »
I dont understand DLO. He played much better last year.

He played like garbage today.  But whats interesting is the #'s are pretty much identical to last year in pretty much every category.  Better from field, worse from 3.  FT line and PPG equal.  Just we expect more.

Poison

« Reply #233 on: February 24, 2013, 05:40:09 PM »

Oliver not Orlando

You're right. Thanks. He still sucked.

paultzman

« Reply #234 on: February 24, 2013, 05:48:25 PM »
Fair, painful assessment;

“@KieranDarcy: St. John's "dismantled" by Pitt, seriously hurts its chance to dance: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/colleges/post/_/id/5532/st-johns-hurts-its-chance-to-dance

Moose

« Reply #235 on: February 24, 2013, 05:49:54 PM »
Fair, painful assessment;

“@KieranDarcy: St. John's "dismantled" by Pitt, seriously hurts its chance to dance: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/colleges/post/_/id/5532/st-johns-hurts-its-chance-to-dance

On point

Why can't we play 40 minutes.  Hell I'll take 35 at this point.

« Reply #236 on: February 24, 2013, 05:53:10 PM »
mr.keady, who I love , must have written a book by now while sitting on the bench. Perhaps he could edit it, make copies and pass them out to the boys. PLEASE!

Dan

« Reply #237 on: February 24, 2013, 05:56:51 PM »
Barring a nice run in the BET, they won't be making the tournament.  They would need a few wins in the BET.

« Reply #238 on: February 24, 2013, 06:00:06 PM »
On a lighter note did anyone else see the exchange between Jim Burr and the fans in the front row?  He kicked one of them out and his friends kept riding Burr telling him Higgins is better and that he should retire, stuff like that.  Burr multiple times during the game shouted back at the guys, once during Amir Garrett's free throw attempt and then as he was running down the floor gave them a thumbs up.  After the game Burr runs right over to the guys and they start yelling at each other and security had to separate them and then Burr ran into the tunnel.  The guy belongs nowhere near a basketball floor, he is simply too old.

Moose

« Reply #239 on: February 24, 2013, 06:02:05 PM »
On a lighter note did anyone else see the exchange between Jim Burr and the fans in the front row?  He kicked one of them out and his friends kept riding Burr telling him Higgins is better and that he should retire, stuff like that.  Burr multiple times during the game shouted back at the guys, once during Amir Garrett's free throw attempt and then as he was running down the floor gave them a thumbs up.  After the game Burr runs right over to the guys and they start yelling at each other and security had to separate them and then Burr ran into the tunnel.  The guy belongs nowhere near a basketball floor, he is simply too old.

Wow didn't see that.