Mark Jackson

• 29 replies

paultzman

Mark Jackson
« on: February 27, 2013, 07:35:55 PM »
Odd comment, perhaps taken out of context?

“I’m not a guy that wears my red shorts underneath my suit,” said Jackson, whose Golden State Warriors will be without David Lee for tonight’s game with the Knicks at MSG. “With all due respect, my son [Mark Jackson Jr.] goes to Manhattan College so I don’t follow [St. John’s. I got too much work to do."

“@AdamZagoria: Mark Jackson Says Big East Breakup is ‘Very Disappointing’ http://zagsblog.com/big-east/mark-jackson-says-big-east-breakup-is-very-disappointing/

Moose

Re: Mark Jackson
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 07:38:22 PM »

“I’m not a guy that wears my red shorts underneath my suit,” said Jackson, whose Golden State Warriors will be without David Lee for tonight’s game with the Knicks at MSG. “With all due respect, my son [Mark Jackson Jr.] goes to Manhattan College so I don’t follow [St. John’s. I got too much work to do."

“@AdamZagoria: Mark Jackson Says Big East Breakup is ‘Very Disappointing’ http://zagsblog.com/big-east/mark-jackson-says-big-east-breakup-is-very-disappointing/

Calling Bobre
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 08:18:26 PM »
Just talking to a few people they aren't surprised by that quote. 
They aren't exactly lovey dovey.

paultzman

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 08:19:40 PM »

Re: not getting a sniff at SJU job?

Moose

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 08:21:26 PM »

Re: not getting a sniff at SJU job?

Didn't hear specifics and think its more/before that but I'm sure that comes into play.  Has to.

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 08:49:28 PM »

I read it that way as well...maybe not happy that he wasn't given the coaching position...he sent his kid to Louisville and now Manhattan...either we didn't like the kid or Mark doesn't like SJ

Or still ticked he didnt start vs. GT in final four semi  :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:51:11 PM by section3 »

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 11:30:34 PM »
mj can stfu and go back home after curry's 54  or whatever and the loss

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 11:40:52 PM »

Calling Bobre

wow thats says alot about how Mark Jax feels about st.j's
He was a good guy that I had a public speaking class with
A great Johnny that did deserve to play over moses bec, everytime  he came in the johnnys made big runs.
Does not surprise me hes upset they did not even give him a interview Thanks again moanasch

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 11:53:26 PM »

Calling Bobre

A great Johnny that did deserve to play over moses bec, everytime  he came in the johnnys made big runs.
Does not surprise me hes upset they did not even give him a interview Thanks again moanasch

He was not deserving of an interview.  He never coached a game in his life, never recruited a player, etc..  He had been removed from the college game for over 20 years, he's an NBA guy now and was waiting for an NBA job to come up.  I highly doubt he is upset over not getting a look from St. John's.

LJSA

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 04:47:43 AM »

Calling Bobre

He'll show up and twist the conversation into a discussion about that still-nameless point guard he insists we should have gotten several years ago.

Foad

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 07:53:38 AM »

Utter nonsense. Saint Johns lost 4 times Jackson's freshman year. To Niagara, in a game that Moses missed and Jackson played 40 minutes. And three time to G'town, in games where Moses and Jackson split minutes. The one game SJ beat G'town Moses played 27 minutes and Jackson played 13. Jackson didn't play as a F because he was out of control and not very good. He thinks he should have started as a F for the same reason he thought he was a minister: delusions of grandeur.

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 10:31:14 AM »
Mark Jackson was a soph. in 84-85.  He did start some games late in the 83-84 season as a freshman.

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 12:10:28 PM »

Calling Bobre

He was not deserving of an interview.  He never coached a game in his life, never recruited a player, etc..  He had been removed from the college game for over 20 years, he's an NBA guy now and was waiting for an NBA job to come up.  I highly doubt he is upset over not getting a look from St. John's.
Wow, there are still people dumb enough to make statements like this after the guy has made his bones in the NBA.  Eight games over .500 with that team is nothing to sneeze at and it's only his first year.  So there were no doubts about Lavin coming off seven years of sitting on his ass after being fired by UCLA amidst rumors that he couldn't coach.  Yeah right!?  Oh, and by the way Mark was an alum with stellar records in college and the pros. Ever see Lavin play?  I heard it was as funny as your statement.

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 12:30:12 PM »

Calling Bobre

He'll show up and twist the conversation into a discussion about that still-nameless point guard he insists we should have gotten several years ago.
Well here we are somewhat down the road and still bitching that our PG (Greene) can't play the position.  And is there anyone really willing to bet the ranch on Branch???  Seems like we're down to Jordan kiddies while a zillion "nameless PGs" have signed elsewhere.  Better hope some well heeled Temple booster doesn't take a liking to him.  Say, didn't Bill Cosby go there?  I'm just saying.......

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 03:04:13 PM »

Calling Bobre

Wow, there are still people dumb enough to make statements like this after the guy has made his bones in the NBA.  Eight games over .500 with that team is nothing to sneeze at and it's only his first year.  So there were no doubts about Lavin coming off seven years of sitting on his ass after being fired by UCLA amidst rumors that he couldn't coach.  Yeah right!?  Oh, and by the way Mark was an alum with stellar records in college and the pros. Ever see Lavin play?  I heard it was as funny as your statement.

You ever see Isiah Thomas and Rick Majerus go one on one?  Someone's playing skills has nothing to do with how they can coach, that's the most ridiculous comment I've ever heard.  Mark Jackson never coached or recruited a kid in his life and you wanted him to fill 12 scholarships and rebuild a program?  He was not qualified to take the St. John's job, NBA is a completely different animal.  Those guys are professionals and he has a professionally paid staff around him.  Much easier to learn on the fly.

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 03:07:59 PM »
You ever see Isiah Thomas and Rick Majerus go one on one?  Someone's playing skills has nothing to do with how they can coach, that's the most ridiculous comment I've ever heard.  Mark Jackson never coached or recruited a kid in his life and you wanted him to fill 12 scholarships and rebuild a program?  He was not qualified to take the St. John's job, NBA is a completely different animal.  Those guys are professionals and he has a professionally paid staff around him.  Much easier to learn on the fly.

However, there are way more cases of succesful college coaches bombing in the pros than the Pro coach bombing in College.

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 10:10:22 PM »
welcome DHJ - I will give 15 posts before you piss someone off or offend someone
i'll take the under!

Tiznow

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 10:47:10 PM »

Jackson sounds a like he has a lot in common with Francesa.  It was nice to see the sixty or so people proud of their association with the school and team a couple of weeks ago. 

This was disappointing coming from a guy who has made so much out of his life.   

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 11:14:48 PM »
welcome DHJ - I will give 15 posts before you piss someone off or offend someone

u luv to bait people into arguments mr know it all
hope dave sees this???

mark jax was a soph not a freshman  I know was in the same class grad w him in 87
He was better than moses ran the break better was taller & could take Gts michael jax anyday & did make the better runs ag the hoyas at both the sweater game & BE title game watch the tape, I  was there courtside to witness it the losses.  He had a knack for getting Walter Berry the ball when they boxed Mullin which moses failed to do.
Michael Graham did not play in 1st game which helped their rebounding alot in the next 3 givin Wingate & Williams more freedom to play & hit short lane shots.
those losses haunt me today bec. they boxed & 1 Mullin with Louie not making the correct move to run more plays to Berry & using Rowan at shooting guard more than Willie glass who did hit his shots very= streaky shooter
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:21:20 PM by DieHard Johnny »

desco80

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 12:41:20 AM »

Calling Bobre

Well here we are somewhat down the road and still bitching that our PG (Greene) can't play the position.  And is there anyone really willing to bet the ranch on Branch???  Seems like we're down to Jordan kiddies while a zillion "nameless PGs" have signed elsewhere.  Better hope some well heeled Temple booster doesn't take a liking to him.  Say, didn't Bill Cosby go there?  I'm just saying.......

Everyone complains about our lack of recruiting this year.... if you were a HS senior right now why in the world would you sign with a school that is returning 10 freshmen or sophomores?    Even the most selfless kids want to play before their junior year.
It really shouldn't be a shock that it's harder to recruit when you don't have any playing time to offer kids.   
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:43:35 AM by desco80 »