Harrison suspended rest of the year

• 537 replies
Re: Harrison suspended rest of the year
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2013, 11:01:23 AM »
Very frustrating.

I'm not D'Angelo's biggest supporter and I have no idea what he's done to get this suspension, but the timing couldn't suck more. Although his game hasn't looked good in the second half of this season, we still have a shot at the NCAA, and he is our best scorer.

I do respect Lavin for this decision. There has to be accountability, and he's not going to be walked over.

How can you respect Lavin for the decision, if you don't know why he made it?

Well why do you think he made it?

He clearly made the team weaker at a point in the season when SJU needs to be their best in terms of trying to make a run at the NCAA's.  I can assure you coaches don't do those things INTENTIONALLY.

He was benched to start several games this year for various conduct that was deemed bad.  Including the opening game against Detroit when Coach clearly said he has some maturity issues.

For now nobody knows the exact reason other then it appears to be an accumulation of things over the season.

But either way you can read between the lines.  Coach is saying hey, "I am not afraid to bench/suspend my best players even at crucial moments in a season if I feel they don't put the best interest of the team first."

I don’t see that as an unreasonable inference.

DFF6

« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2013, 11:01:34 AM »
There is no spinning this into a positive.  No matter what the facts are behind the suspension, it sucks, and it reflects poorly on everyone--Harrison, Lavin & staff and the program.  What a G-damn roller coaster the past 24 hours have been with Sanchez, the C7 as the new Big East, and now this.     

paultzman

« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2013, 11:04:35 AM »
There is no spinning this into a positive.  No matter what the facts are behind the suspension, it sucks, and it reflects poorly on everyone--Harrison, Lavin & staff and the program.  What a G-damn roller coaster the past 24 hours have been with Sanchez, the C7 as the new Big East, and now this.     

Well said.

« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2013, 11:06:17 AM »
How can you respect Lavin for the decision, if you don't know why he made it?

You haven't figured out yet that some view Lavin as the almighty?

That has zero to do with it.

He needs to be judged and will be judged by the results on the court this year which have been uneven at best.  That is not considering him almighty.  He is not going anywhere so this idea of going game by game and drilling him is just stupid.  You and others did that for 6 years with the last coach.  It is a waste of time.

But the suspension is clearly something he would NOT want to do at this point.  So the fact that he is doing it at a crucial time takes some guts.  He clearly is putting his team at risk in terms of the post-season.  I don't see how complimenting him for that is considering him "Almighty."

Poison

« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2013, 11:06:56 AM »

I agree, this is awful.

paultzman

« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2013, 11:08:40 AM »
“@BrandonTierney: Regarding D'Angelo Harrison's suspension, it's possible he returns next season but must earn it by changing behavior patterns.”

“@BrandonTierney: It's believed he wants to return, but his roster spot is not assured. Must change opinions within the program. Basically, time to grow up...”

“@BrandonTierney: Harrison is good, but he's not THAT good. Behind-the-scenes, it has been a struggle from Day 1. The dam finally busted open...”
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:09:34 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2013, 11:11:14 AM »

To me I don't see how this reflects poorly on the staff per se.  Kids get suspended. 

What will reflect poorly on the staff is if the team goes in the tank the last 3 games because of this.  To me that will be the ultimately judgement on the staff.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the idea of suspending a 17.8 pt/game scorer but again obviously Lavin didn't just decide to do this now because it was easy.  So to me it took some guts.

But if he loses out because of this then that is on him and the staff.

« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2013, 11:12:35 AM »

He clearly made the team weaker at a point in the season when SJU needs to be their best in terms of trying to make a run at the NCAA's.  I can assure you coaches don't do those things INTENTIONALLY.

He was benched to start several games this year for various conduct that was deemed bad.  Including the opening game against Detroit when Coach clearly said he has some maturity issues.

For now nobody knows the exact reason other then it appears to be an accumulation of things over the season.

But either way you can read between the lines.  Coach is saying hey, "I am not afraid to bench/suspend my best players even at crucial moments in a season if I feel they don't put the best interest of the team first."

See Fordham this is why you annoy people. You are entitled to your opinion where there are no concrete facts, but so is everyone else.
The above is certainly a reasonable explanation of what happened but as you yourself stated "nobody knows". Well except Lavin. Therefore people are going to speculate. And to be fair to Harrison, there has not been any public sign of anything that would justify this. We have certainly had peopl do worse things that played at SJU. As I stated there were rumblings that the players hated playing with Mase jr. Nothing like that has come out about Harrison.

My only point with this is in my time as a fan I don't think I have ever seen a player scrutnized as much as Harrison. And I do think the way he looks plays into that. Along the same line, Lavin is treated liks some sort of infallable being for some reason. Even if Harrison was a complete jerk, Lavin recruited him and deserves some blame for this falling apart.

Poison

« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2013, 11:16:35 AM »
What are the chances we win another game this season?

« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2013, 11:16:56 AM »

See Fordham this is why you annoy people. You are entitled to your opinion where there are no concrete facts, but so is everyone else.
The above is certainly a reasonable explanation of what happened but as you yourself stated "nobody knows". Well except Lavin. Therefore people are going to speculate. And to be fair to Harrison, there has not been any public sign of anything that would justify this. We have certainly had peopl do worse things that played at SJU. As I stated there were rumblings that the players hated playing with Mase jr. Nothing like that has come out about Harrison.

My only point with this is in my time as a fan I don't think I have ever seen a player scrutnized as much as Harrison. And I do think the way he looks plays into that. Along the same line, Lavin is treated liks some sort of infallable being for some reason. Even if Harrison was a complete jerk, Lavin recruited him and deserves some blame for this falling apart.

I annoy people and you don't.

Look at what I was responding too?

SJU gave an Opinion.  Why is he not entitled?

Poison questioned his opinion…

I explained why his opinion is not unreasonable. 

How is that hard to comprehend.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:17:27 AM by fordham96 »

« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2013, 11:17:14 AM »
Kid gets the green light 24/7.
Gets lauded wit a C on his chest.
Is anointed the man and pushed for national recog.

And all they ask is fo him to at least give a damn in practice, to at least be civil to his brothers on the court and to at least be respctful to the staff when all they wanna do is make him better wit a lil mo individual drills.

Too much to ask apparently.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2013, 11:22:41 AM »

Why Fordham annoys people?  Bravo! You've said something funny!!  I think your ready for primetime.  We could call it something like, "From Big East Boards to Big Time Boring"

boo3

« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2013, 11:22:58 AM »
 Should have known that the good news would be fleeting.. This program is unbelievable...sigh

« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2013, 11:23:49 AM »
Let me be clear, I just said Lavin is responsible for the program and for the results.

What does that mean?  Let's say he suspends Sampson, Harrison and Greene and then proceeds to go 3-0 the rest of the way.

Disaster?  How?

Yes he is ultimately responsible for the program.  Of course.

I said ultimately he will be judged on the product on the court.  Period.  Who ultimately gets on the court and excels is not my problem.

Cincy got into an ugly fight last year and suspended multiple players because of it.  It is how you respond in my book.  Things happen. 

4 kids got kicked off of Alabama football for criminal activity.  Nick Saban lose control of Alabama?  No.

« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2013, 11:25:17 AM »

And all they ask is fo him to at least give a damn in practice, to at least be civil to his brothers on the court and to at least be respctful to the staff when all they wanna do is make him better wit a lil mo individual drills.

well said.

paultzman

« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2013, 11:25:56 AM »

Choz is a wise man.

Poison

« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2013, 11:26:32 AM »
The Red Shit Storm. That should be our name. We've truly earned it.

« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2013, 11:29:38 AM »
The Red Shit Storm. That should be our name. We've truly earned it.

Yep, 15 year soap opera

kjd01067

« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2013, 11:29:55 AM »
This sucks. As a fan it is hard to take the best player getting suspended.  On the other hand I understand that Harrison forced Lavin's hand with this move.  If I ever acted like harrison back in the day my father would have hit me so hard I wouldn't have needed to have been suspended.  Kid needs a wake up call but it absolutely sucks as a fan.

« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2013, 11:30:08 AM »
Why Fordham annoys people?  Bravo! You've said something funny!!  I think your ready for primetime.  We could call it something like, "From Big East Boards to Big Time Boring"

AW, you are crushing on me aren't you? You even followed me when I posted on BEB. Do you want an autographed picture? This way you could give the Lavin poster a break. I personally am hetero, but I don't judge and I am flattered