Harrison suspended rest of the year

• 537 replies

desco80

Re: Harrison suspended rest of the year
« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2013, 12:33:51 PM »
Kid gets the green light 24/7.
Gets lauded wit a C on his chest.
Is anointed the man and pushed for national recog.

And all they ask is fo him to at least give a damn in practice, to at least be civil to his brothers on the court and to at least be respctful to the staff when all they wanna do is make him better wit a lil mo individual drills.

Too much to ask apparently.

Don't forget continually late and dragging others like Pointer down with him

I have seen Harrison hit a big shot and pump his fist and grab his jersey-- he played to win-- he wasn't a dog-- and I don't think he brought others down. He shook his head, and complained to refs-- so what.

He also took 35ft threes and often didn't pass when he was double teamed.
Guys your playing with aren't usually big fans of that.
And that's only what we saw during games, plenty of people are hinting at other stuff that was going on in practice. 

Team wasn't making the tourny anyway.   Lets be honest with ourselves.
And it's not like athletes are held to lofty standards....nobody expected Dee to be a choir boy.   But apparently he wasn't willing to the minimum stuff coach asked of him.   
I have a hard time finding any reason to fault coach Lavin over this.   

« Reply #141 on: March 01, 2013, 12:34:41 PM »
This post and kob's post just nailed it.

The ground rules are set.  Lavin was building towards next year's team with the hope that this year we would taste some post-season.

But to reach the full potential for next year everyone needs to be on board, one standard. 

And better to get the message out NOW then middle of next year when you truly expect to be REAL good.  Especially since this gives Dlo and opportunity to right himself before next year.-Fordham

If that was the case and Harrison calls the bluff and leaves how special will next year be? Clearly we are better with Harrison on the court. Only the truly crazy would say otherwise. Really weird timing of this coming off the feel good Sanchez announcement.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:35:15 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2013, 12:38:32 PM »
This was done because next year could be a special year.  They want him to be either on board or get off.  They don't want his attitude screwing up the chemistry next year.  The little things became too much of a burden.  This is all about next year and building something.  That is thinking with this.

The ground rules are set.  Lavin was building towards next year's team with the hope that this year we would taste some post-season.

But to reach the full potential for next year everyone needs to be on board, one standard. 

And better to get the message out NOW then middle of next year when you truly expect to be REAL good.  Especially since this gives Dlo and opportunity to right himself before next year.

+1

Foad

« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2013, 12:45:15 PM »
I have a hard time finding any reason to fault coach Lavin over this.

Really? Lavin is supposed to be a teacher. At best he failed to teach Harrison to act like a gentleman and to follow the rules. All those stupid head games he played - benching him, sitting him, challenging him - none of them worked. They didn't work because they were cheap lame stupid shoddy grandstanding. Assuming that Lavin was smart enough to see that there was an issue, and to diagnose it, the treatment failed. The patient's dead.

It may be that Harrison is a sociopath. If so Lavin deserves blame for recruiting him. Maybe Harrison is merely incorrigible. If so, Lavin deserves blame for not civilizing him. Lavin is allegedly the adult in the room. There's more than enough blame to go around.

« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2013, 12:46:38 PM »

And better to get the message out NOW then middle of next year when you truly expect to be REAL good.  Especially since this gives Dlo and opportunity to right himself before next year.-Fordham

If that was the case and Harrison calls the bluff and leaves how special will next year be? Clearly we are better with Harrison on the court. Only the truly crazy would say otherwise. Really weird timing of this coming off the feel good Sanchez announcement.

Because they can adjust for next year in terms of recruiting and roles as opposed to this happening next year.  Whether it be landing Jordan or going after another kid or defining roles for kids already on the team.

Harrison is good but he is not the whole team nor is he the sole reason why they were going to be good next year.  Fact is Sampson is probably and will be their best player going forward.

wpc77

« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2013, 12:55:29 PM »
Let's be hoenst - the kid acted like a prick and a mope all year long.  Jogging back lazily on d, not meeting the guys in the huddle after play is stopped, not looking coaches in the eye during timeouts when they try to talk to him- there were multiple times (apparent even on tv) when Lavin tries to look at him to PRAISE him - not even criticize - and the kid wont look in the eyes - to which Lavin seems to say "HEY - WHAT'S WRONG??, etc.  This will hurt this year, signfiicantly, but is the right move for next year.  Probably long overdue and wouldn't be surprised if Lavin being absent for a week or so, and then returning with a clean perspective, allowed him to get a fresh pair of eyes on how damaging the situation was.  Especially when you have 2 gret team first high energy guys who can be the leaders now and next year in Sampson and Pointer - having a diametrically opposed malcontennt will only hurt what those guys can build with the staff's help.

Marillac

« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2013, 12:57:20 PM »
It's best for Harrison to learn from this and move forward at STJ. With him STJ can be a top 10 team next year and he will be the captain.  If he jumps ship, he'll always have to answer the question "what happened at STJ?" 

Man, we could be so good with him if everyone comes back healthy. 

Poison

« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2013, 12:57:50 PM »
I'm not sure we can make the NIT now. Maybe the CBI.

« Reply #148 on: March 01, 2013, 12:58:20 PM »
does anyone think he gets it together and returns next year?  personally i cant see it
I have spent a lifetime dealing with talented people with behavioral problems. Most don't change, in my experience and keep blaming the world. But the ones who do make it all worthwhile and can be game changers. Hopefully no one will know what happened outside of the team it is none of our business. It will give Dlo a chance hopefully to make the right decision, about growing up.

tnice

« Reply #149 on: March 01, 2013, 01:02:58 PM »
Selfish move by Lav , imo. Unless Harrison really had a meltdown and cursed him out or refused to practice, how can you hurt the team as a whole and suspend the leading scorer with 3 must win game coming up. The truth needs to come out, what exactly did DLO do? He shakes his head on the court, he questions refs calls...deal with it Lav.

You obviously have never coached a team, and while we all would like an explanation, we're not owed one.

I have coached teams, not college level-- but unless DLO really went off the deep end you can't penalize the rest of the team .

You're penalizing the rest of the team if you allow him to get away with stuff other guys dont get away with.

« Reply #150 on: March 01, 2013, 01:03:41 PM »
Even if justified the people trying to spin this as a good thing are crazy. It is never a good thing to lose your best player.
Again the timing is really weird this late in the season and a day after the Sanchez ruling. I think the people who are saying Lavin did this for next year are dead wrong. Seems pretty obvious he plans to move on w/o him. If it was at all possible, I would have liked to let this play out for rest of season, then came to a decision once season was over.

« Reply #151 on: March 01, 2013, 01:04:56 PM »
Ya guess I was right on taking Momo over Harrison ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:05:07 PM by Marco Baldi »

SJU79

« Reply #152 on: March 01, 2013, 01:05:22 PM »
1)Hopefully im back in good graces after calling Schanez return early yesterday
2) Ignoring Fordhams comments becuase its too stupid to reply to and as somebody pointed out why does his brothers jail situation have anything to do with this?
3) Choz is right...FACT is he was not doing what he was asked to, being disrespectful to the coaches, not giving a damn in the drills, showing no respect for the team or the process or those trying to help him despite SEVERAL chances. Weather it was ultimatly the right call is totally subjective to each person but from what I heard today he had for awhile way crossed the line and never even stopped to look back at it

paultzman

« Reply #153 on: March 01, 2013, 01:06:37 PM »
It's best for Harrison to learn from this and move forward at STJ. With him STJ can be a top 10 team next year and he will be the captain.  If he jumps ship, he'll always have to answer the question "what happened at STJ?" 

Man, we could be so good with him if everyone comes back healthy. 

He's gone.

Poison

« Reply #154 on: March 01, 2013, 01:07:46 PM »
Even if justified the people trying to spin this as a good thing are crazy. It is never a good thing to lose your best player.
Again the timing is really weird this late in the season and a day after the Sanchez ruling. I think the people who are saying Lavin did this for next year are dead wrong. Seems pretty obvious he plans to move on w/o him. If it was at all possible, I would have liked to let this play out for rest of season, then came to a decision once season was over.

Lavin did this with 3 games to go in the regular season. I hope he has enough confidence in the remaining team's chemistry, to prove that this was the right call. If what Harrison was doing was really so damaging to the team that he had to be removed, then I expect the team to be better now.

Otherwise, you don't suspend your best player.   

« Reply #155 on: March 01, 2013, 01:12:01 PM »
We deserve better than this.   :(

« Reply #156 on: March 01, 2013, 01:12:54 PM »

Lavin did this with 3 games to go in the regular season. I hope he has enough confidence in the remaining team's chemistry, to prove that this was the right call. If what Harrison was doing was really so damaging to the team that he had to be removed, then I expect the team to be better now.

Otherwise, you don't suspend your best player.   

I mean the timing is awful considering we are still theoretically on the bubble. But since Lavin came in, I think he has coached and managed this team always with one eye on 2013-2014. Especially with yesterday's news that Sanchez is cleared, it makes sense to give Harrison the ultimatum now. Fall in line or be shown the door.

« Reply #157 on: March 01, 2013, 01:15:31 PM »
"[Harrison] wants to finish his collegiate playing career at St. John's." Lavin #stjbb

« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2013, 01:16:03 PM »
Quote"carmineabbatiello
The 6th Man

« Reply #155 on: Today at 01:12:01 PM
»Quote We deserve better

Actually you make out ok on this Greene can spin his heart out now with virtually no repercussions.

« Reply #159 on: March 01, 2013, 01:16:46 PM »
Obviously speculation, but is there a coincidence b/t Sanchez being eligible next yr and suspending Harrison the next day b/c he continually cant follow the rules?  Lavin may think w/ Sanchez STJ will still be talented enough to win games next year and with Harrison behavior cauisng more problems than his worth to the team, suspending him opens up the opportunity to have another ship.

Will prob never know this answer for sure, but i do find it interesting that it happened the next day due to a pattern of behavior, so it doesnt appear like it was one big over the top moment.       
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:17:37 PM by B-Squared »