Harrison suspended rest of the year

• 537 replies
Re: Harrison suspended rest of the year
« Reply #180 on: March 01, 2013, 01:55:17 PM »
The Sanchez news had the team riding so high the other day that I was even thinking it might be a big morale boost for the team down the stretch. Now today we hear this, and it's a big shot to our gut. The emotions from yesterday has been like the King Da Ka roller coaster at Six Flags. At the very top then straight down. I would have to go ahead and assume Harrison has had enough himself with all the benchings and take his talents somewhere else. I'd be shocked if he stayed after all of this. I feel like something major had to have happened at practice or something like him punching a teammate or some criminal activity to warrant such a severe penalty right as we try to make the tourney. This essentially makes Jordan a must-sign now IMO curious to see what you guys think regarding that.

« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2013, 01:56:10 PM »
This is what i don't get.  This is a "surprise" to Harrison and his family.  And he's devastated.  Why not suspend him "indefinitely" and see how he acts in the next 2 weeks.  Reinstate him for BE tourney if he behaves, if not, he's out for year.  I just don't get this all or nothing business.  I am NOT critical of Lavin and believe he should have the right to suspend someone who is not being respectful of coaches, etc., but why not bench him, suspend him for a game, suspend him for remainder of reg season, etc. to try to get the point across first?

Im with you on this one Kid
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2013, 01:57:25 PM »
Guys don't focus on the severity of the penalty.  Debating whether it was too harsh or not is a waste of time.  He got what he deserved at this point.

Worry about the kids now going out and playing smart and hard albeit short handed.  And also hope D'Angelo takes the time to realize what he has done and what he can do to make things better and the opportunity that lies in front of him if he chooses the right path.

derk

« Reply #183 on: March 01, 2013, 01:58:20 PM »
Even if justified the people trying to spin this as a good thing are crazy. It is never a good thing to lose your best player.
Again the timing is really weird this late in the season and a day after the Sanchez ruling. I think the people who are saying Lavin did this for next year are dead wrong. Seems pretty obvious he plans to move on w/o him. If it was at all possible, I would have liked to let this play out for rest of season, then came to a decision once season was over.

Lavin did this with 3 games to go in the regular season. I hope he has enough confidence in the remaining team's chemistry, to prove that this was the right call. If what Harrison was doing was really so damaging to the team that he had to be removed, then I expect the team to be better now.

Otherwise, you don't suspend your best player.

That's right. You don't, unless you have big stones. He could've suspended him several times already from the sound of it. It's the action of a coach who has job security and is looking to build a program for years to come. He can forego any short term gratification for something far more important in the future.

Foad

« Reply #184 on: March 01, 2013, 02:00:25 PM »
The suspension is part of the treatment, and Lavin is doing whatever he can to teach the young man and hope the message gets across. Its clear you are not a fan of Coach, but if Lavin is unable to get through to D'Lo then thats the Coach's fault? I disagree. D'Lo is not 12. At some point in time the individual has to stop blaming everyone else and start holding themselves accountable for their own actions and the repercusions that come with it. Giving a kid a chance is not a fault of the Coach, unable to make him see the value of his oppurtunity is not the fault of the Coach. I hope D'lo stays with the team but if he decides to leave then good luck to him.

Calling Harrison's suspension treatment is like calling radiating a corpse therapy. Harrison is off the team and soon enough will be out of school. For "not being respectful to coaches, tardiness ... and his demonstrative personality."

Well. Not even for being disrepectful to the coaches. For not being respectful, which is something else entirely. For being tardy. And ooooo, for being "demonstrative." That sounds serious. Too bad he wasn't blonde and blue eyed like that floor slapping dope Matt Brust. That was some demonstrative we fans could get behind.

Anyway, you make a lot of assumptions here. I haven't heard Harrison blame anyone for anything; I haven't heard him not accept responsibility for anything; I haven't heard him de-value any opportunity. I haven't heard him say anything at all. What I have heard is a bunch of people who give Lavin a pass for every little thing giving him a pass for yet something else, this time for a situation he created, and then exacerbated. Why, he's a hero, nearly.

As for me, I like Lavin fine, I just think he's a bit of a dim bulb. I think Harrison was immature. After he got T'ed up in his first pre season game last year against a division 3 team I nominated him as the "Player most likely to assault a Providence fan with a chair." I'm not the guy who made him a captain. I'm not the guy who pronounced him the team leader. I'm not the guy who piled false and unreasonable expectation on the shoulders of a 20 year old who has some pretty obvious psychological demons. That was TGAPL. These are his chickens, roosting.

Foad

« Reply #185 on: March 01, 2013, 02:01:03 PM »
I have a hard time finding any reason to fault coach Lavin over this.

Really? Lavin is supposed to be a teacher. At best he failed to teach Harrison to act like a gentleman and to follow the rules. All those stupid head games he played - benching him, sitting him, challenging him - none of them worked. They didn't work because they were cheap lame stupid shoddy grandstanding. Assuming that Lavin was smart enough to see that there was an issue, and to diagnose it, the treatment failed. The patient's dead.

It may be that Harrison is a sociopath. If so Lavin deserves blame for recruiting him. Maybe Harrison is merely incorrigible. If so, Lavin deserves blame for not civilizing him. Lavin is allegedly the adult in the room. There's more than enough blame to go around.

They are going to bring back Norm Roberts and then make Johnny Clamchowder, aka John Calipari, his main recruitng assistant.

And then just for you as SJU prepares to play Providence on Senior Day at 4-13 you are going to be the only one posting on the board like it was 5 years ago.

Then when SJU wins you can start a thread mocking SJU fans for rooting "against" Coach Roberts and how it didn't work.  Because you root for the school not for the Coach.

This is gibberish. Trust me.

« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2013, 02:03:59 PM »
Guys don't focus on the severity of the penalty.  Debating whether it was too harsh or not is a waste of time.  He got what he deserved at this point.

Worry about the kids now going out and playing smart and hard albeit short handed.  And also hope D'Angelo takes the time to realize what he has done and what he can do to make things better and the opportunity that lies in front of him if he chooses the right path.

I'm pretty much torn. On one end I am glad we got a cancer off the team and sent a major message that we will sacrifice an NCAA tourney bid to get a bad apple off the team. On the other end, I'm very sad that this seemingly kills our NCAA dreams and don't see how those points get replaced. He had tons of terrible decisions and shots, but at the end of the day he got his 20+ fairly regularly. Don't think we have a player on the roster who can pull 20+ on a fairly consistent basis via mid-range and 3's. If we get Jordan, it might give us a more UConn look with Branch and Jordan penetrating and a few big guys for blocks and rebounding.

« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2013, 02:06:04 PM »
Sounds like he wants to come back:

Greg Logan‏@GregLogan1
Asked if he suggested Harrison transfer, Lavin said "He beat me to the punch & said he wanted to finish career here...." #stjbb

Tha Kid

« Reply #188 on: March 01, 2013, 02:08:23 PM »

And the mighty fordham has spoken, so we all shalt not speak of the severity of the penalty any longer!!!

Posting on a message board in any form is a waste of time...this is to debate sports...it just happened...not debating the severity of the penalty is stupid, IMO.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #189 on: March 01, 2013, 02:09:19 PM »

Greg Logan‏@GregLogan1
Asked if he suggested Harrison transfer, Lavin said "He beat me to the punch & said he wanted to finish career here...." #stjbb

Sooo was lavin gonna suggest it? Why would he say that
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:11:09 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

CC

« Reply #190 on: March 01, 2013, 02:09:45 PM »

Greg Logan‏@GregLogan1

If that is the case, sit him one game-- teach him a lesson, and suit him up for ND. Come on Lav
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:10:30 PM by CC »

« Reply #191 on: March 01, 2013, 02:10:30 PM »
QUOTE-"And the mighty fordham has spoken, so we all shalt not speak of the severity of the penalty any longer!!!

Posting on a message board in any form is a waste of time...this is to debate sports...it just happened...not debating the severity of the penalty is stupid, IMO."-Tha Kid

What he said

crgreen

« Reply #192 on: March 01, 2013, 02:11:51 PM »
Coach Lavin's history with indefinate suspensions.    center Jelani McCoy didn't return.  Wing Kris Johnson did, became all-Pac 10, conference leading scorer.  JaRon Rush served a 21 game suspension, but that was NCAA related (AAU issues with Myron Piggie while a high school underclassman), not team related.  He came back for the seasons final two games, and a sweet 16 run, then declared for the draft (didn't want to leave college, but part of the suspension included  repaying illegal benefits, with a fixed timeframe to maintain eligibility - Catch-22 -no way to do that without going pro).

However, one of the knocks at UCLA (one that may actually have been true) is Lavin wasn't strong enuf as a disciplinarian - guys like Ray Young, Jerome Moiso, and Matt Barnes probably should have had at least some minor suspensions.   Like almost all of the justified knocks on Lavin, it looks like he's  adjusted and responded.   (Not active enuf on the recruiting trail, inexperienced/underqualified assistants, no veteren advisors, too friendly with players/not disciplinarian enuf).

« Reply #193 on: March 01, 2013, 02:13:39 PM »

Greg Logan‏@GregLogan1

Sooo was laving gonna suggest it? Why would he say that

Yea Lavin is the one who will have final say.  Harrison may want to stick it out right now, but that doesnt gt that he is here next year.   

That being said, i dont think Lavin goes blameless for some of the reasons previously stated but whatever he decides i am ok with.  I am not at practice so i dont know how much of a detriment his behavior is.  Lavin knows and if he and the staff think the negatives outweigh the positives let him move on.  If they think he can change give him one more chance.  He already has two strikes. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:20:32 PM by B-Squared »

« Reply #194 on: March 01, 2013, 02:15:52 PM »

And the mighty fordham has spoken, so we all shalt not speak of the severity of the penalty any longer!!!

Posting on a message board in any form is a waste of time...this is to debate sports...it just happened...not debating the severity of the penalty is stupid, IMO.

Right make this about me jerk.

KOB essentially tells half of you that you are dead wrong and that's OK I suggest debating something which us out of your hands and is a waste of time is evidence of being all knowing.

Whatever makes you feel better.

« Reply #195 on: March 01, 2013, 02:19:56 PM »
quote"Right make this about me jerk.

KOB essentially tells half of you that you are dead wrong and that's OK I suggest debating something which us out of your hands and is a waste of time is evidence of being all knowing.-Fordham

If this were the Redmen board Fordham would have a manifesto against him, then banned, no?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:20:25 PM by we are sju »

tnice

« Reply #196 on: March 01, 2013, 02:21:27 PM »
This is what i don't get.  This is a "surprise" to Harrison and his family.  And he's devastated.  Why not suspend him "indefinitely" and see how he acts in the next 2 weeks.  Reinstate him for BE tourney if he behaves, if not, he's out for year.  I just don't get this all or nothing business.  I am NOT critical of Lavin and believe he should have the right to suspend someone who is not being respectful of coaches, etc., but why not bench him, suspend him for a game, suspend him for remainder of reg season, etc. to try to get the point across first?

The fact that its a surprise to Harrison probably says more about Harrisons cluelessness that Lavin's poor management of the player. By all accounts the kid has been spoken to about his attitude, cajoled, yelled at, benched for the beginning of a game, benched for long stretches of games...all to no avail. Maybe the people who know him best determined that a few games wasnt enough to get through to him, that putting his future in doubt was the only way to get through to him. Considering he seems to be distraught and feeling bad that he let his teammates down, maybe its working already.

Ballsy move by Lavin, but if he did this with the season on the line I have to give him the benefit of the doubt that it was necessary.

« Reply #197 on: March 01, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »
Father Harringtons fault. Monasch too. Everyone but the player and whomever raised him is to blame. They are victims here

« Reply #198 on: March 01, 2013, 02:31:46 PM »
If Harrison wants to come back, assuming he grows up, I have no doubt he'll be back.

Tha Kid

« Reply #199 on: March 01, 2013, 02:39:47 PM »

Right make this about me jerk.

KOB essentially tells half of you that you are dead wrong and that's OK I suggest debating something which us out of your hands and is a waste of time is evidence of being all knowing.

Whatever makes you feel better.

I can't take any credit for making this about you...you do that pretty much every post on your own without assist.  Coast to coast style.

How could KOB tell me I was wrong?  I never suggested Harrison deserved anything less.  I just am one for giving a kid a TASTE first to see if he shapes up.  Suspend him for 1-2 games first as a severe warning shot.  I'm not saying he WOULD have shaped up if Lavin had only done this, but there would have been no harm and potentially benefit to doing it. 

"I drink and I know things"