Harrison suspended rest of the year

• 537 replies

desco80

Re: Harrison suspended rest of the year
« Reply #440 on: April 16, 2013, 09:41:03 AM »
Interesting that in the Post article Dangelo says any issues were between him and Lavin, not any of the other coaches or players, but that they are on the same page now.

Foad

« Reply #441 on: April 16, 2013, 09:45:29 AM »
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/harrison_vows_sju_comeback_V1VvXdUNiLnAFVmJ7eu60J

"Harrison was vague about what happened but resolute it would never happen again, revealing nothing more than being late to the team bus and not shaving on game days."

Wow, not shaving sounds serious. I guess Lavin had no choice. Plus DH stabbed someone I heard. So he didn't shave on game days, and he stabbed someone, and he stared off into the stands while Rico Hines was talking and then later missed the bus because he was punching out Coach Keady. I wonder what was the last straw, stubble or stabbing Tony Chiles in the eye with an awl. Either way, it shows how seriously Lavs takes discipline and rules. He's like General Patton, nearly. I prefer a Brazilian to completely shaved but to each his own. Hopefully missus Lavin stays well groomed, I'd hate to see them divorce over something so trivial, they seem like a cute couple.

« Reply #442 on: April 16, 2013, 09:51:55 AM »
Interesting that in the Post article Dangelo says any issues were between him and Lavin, not any of the other coaches or players, but that they are on the same page now.

Problem escalated when Lavin was out after his father passed away

desco80

« Reply #443 on: April 16, 2013, 09:52:23 AM »
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/harrison_vows_sju_comeback_V1VvXdUNiLnAFVmJ7eu60J

"Harrison was vague about what happened but resolute it would never happen again, revealing nothing more than being late to the team bus and not shaving on game days."

Wow, not shaving sounds serious. I guess Lavin had no choice. Plus DH stabbed someone I heard. So he didn't shave on game days, and he stabbed someone, and he stared off into the stands while Rico Hines was talking and then later missed the bus because he was punching out Coach Keady. I wonder what was the last straw, stubble or stabbing Tony Chiles in the eye with an awl. Either way, it shows how seriously Lavs takes discipline and rules. He's like General Patton, nearly. I prefer a Brazilian to completely shaved but to each his own. Hopefully missus Lavin stays well groomed, I'd hate to see them divorce over something so trivial, they seem like a cute couple.

In fairness Fun, what good would it do Dangelo to tell reporters: "yea, this was all my fault, and I certainly regret telling coach to go f@$k himself". 

If he was suspended over just the minor things, I expect that he wouldn't be taking this in stride as much as he is, and there probably would have been a mutiny by his teammates.   There wasn't, and I don't believe it's simply a matter of Dangelo biting the bullet because he doesn't want to sit out a year as a transfer. 
If he were really wronged by coach, I doubt he'd be able to hold back his feelings on the matter. 

The fact that the shaving thing is even among the incidents he's being punished for though is, as you point out, ridiculous. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:54:57 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #444 on: April 16, 2013, 09:55:34 AM »
You're in the hunt for a tourney spot and suspend your top scorer over minor things? Don't think so

Foad

« Reply #445 on: April 16, 2013, 10:04:02 AM »
In fairness Fun, what good would it do Dangelo to tell reporters: "yea, this was all my fault, and I certainly regret telling coach to go f@$k himself". 

What good does it do Harrison to lie and minimize the seriousness of his behavior. If he indeed has to work his way back onto the team over the spring and summer I'd think the least he'd have to do is acknowledge that he behaved in a manner that warranted suspension. Like how you can't get paroled if you don't admit you're guilty.   

desco80

« Reply #446 on: April 16, 2013, 12:16:02 PM »

What good does it do Harrison to lie and minimize the seriousness of his behavior. If he indeed has to work his way back onto the team over the spring and summer I'd think the least he'd have to do is acknowledge that he behaved in a manner that warranted suspension. Like how you can't get paroled if you don't admit you're guilty.

I think he's too prideful to fall on the sword if he truly believes he's being punished over bs.  That's what makes me think he probably did a thing (or two) that might warrant the sentence he got.   
If he was being embarrassed like this over minor offenses, I'm pretty sure he would say f this, I'll sit out a year and go play at Baylor or Oklahoma State.  There are coaches out there who would love to have him on their team, and I'm sure he knows that. 

That's just my take.  I truly believe there's some legitimate basis for his suspension.  But, who knows? 
At this point it sounds like they're going to ride this out.  It'll be interesting to see how Lavin handles next season, because even with the most obedient players there's bound to be a push or shove or a f-bomb in practice at some point.  And, supposedly, D'angelo has no room for error. 

LJSA

« Reply #447 on: April 16, 2013, 12:43:07 PM »
Of course the shaving thing sounds stupid in and of itself, but not when you look at it in the context of obeying teams rules and listening to your coach.

jr49

« Reply #448 on: April 16, 2013, 12:54:43 PM »
I don't think Harrison going to have to sweat cursing in practice. I'm guessing there was stuff going on and coach Steve did everything he could to save the player. I think Steve deserves our belief that he knows what he's doing. I think now Harrison believes it too. Harrison has a whole lot left to learn about playing hoops, and he must trust this staff as his best chance of getting where he needs to be. Much talent on this team, and a lot of learning and winning ahead of them. Thats fun.   

Foad

« Reply #449 on: April 16, 2013, 01:02:42 PM »
I think he's too prideful to fall on the sword if he truly believes he's being punished over bs.  That's what makes me think he probably did a thing (or two) that might warrant the sentence he got.   

If this is true it means that Harrison is lying to the media and Lavin, who knows Harrison is lying to the media, is more okay with that than he is with Harrison not shaving on game day. He gets suspended for something bad, and when asked about it says ah it was no big deal, I didn't shave - and that qualifies as the sort of personal growth and maturation that justifies reinstatement. Shurg. I like my conspiracy theory more and more.

« Reply #450 on: April 16, 2013, 01:13:29 PM »
Problem escalated when Lavin was out after his father passed away-Quote Bluto

Was that when he stabbed Hines per your sources?

« Reply #451 on: April 16, 2013, 01:48:09 PM »
Problem escalated when Lavin was out after his father passed away-Quote Bluto

Was that when he stabbed Hines per your sources?

Yes. Pistol whipped
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 02:13:43 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #452 on: April 16, 2013, 01:58:31 PM »

If this is true it means that Harrison is lying to the media and Lavin, who knows Harrison is lying to the media, is more okay with that than he is with Harrison not shaving on game day. He gets suspended for something bad, and when asked about it says ah it was no big deal, I didn't shave - and that qualifies as the sort of personal growth and maturation that justifies reinstatement. Shurg. I like my conspiracy theory more and more.

I agree they are lying.  They should be put in jail for perjury.

Then we can bring back Norm Roberts.

BTW-Didn't you imply thawt Harrison was pushed out to make room for Jordan?

Foad

« Reply #453 on: April 16, 2013, 02:03:04 PM »
I agree they are lying.  They should be put in jail for perjury.

Then we can bring back Norm Roberts.

Your smrat ®

BTW-Didn't you imply thawt Harrison was pushed out to make room for Jordan?

No.

boo3

« Reply #454 on: April 16, 2013, 02:03:24 PM »
 Lavin is the most diabolical, high IQ'd " chowderhead" the world has ever known....

coo-coo for coco puffs

SJUFAN

« Reply #455 on: April 16, 2013, 02:29:34 PM »

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas......He's not lying to Lavin, just because he isn't broadcasting his discussions between him and his Coach doesn't mean he is not admitting his fault. This is a team issue that will be handled in house. Its funny how some of you believe they owe "the fans" an explanation. Harrison kept the issues to the chest, gave the media something in jest by making the shaving comment. That shows his maturity, imo. Do some of you actually believe his suspension is because he didn't shave? Lets move on, its clear they have.

Foad

« Reply #456 on: April 16, 2013, 04:01:09 PM »
Harrison kept the issues to the chest, gave the media something in jest by making the shaving comment. That shows his maturity, imo. Do some of you actually believe his suspension is because he didn't shave?

That's one theory. Another is that you have no idea what you're talking about.

NEW YORK — The guy from California had finally gotten his new team to buy into every aspect of his sales pitch. Steve Lavin had come to St. John’s a complete outsider, but was ready to have all 10 seniors and three underclassmen singing his praises. But then, he went one step too far. He wanted them to shave.

“At first, we were all really upset about it,” St. John’s senior forward D.J. Kennedy said. “But then we listened and realized, it’ll grow back. It’s one of coach Lav’s policies. It’s from John Wooden, so I guess it’s all right.”

[...]

And thanks to Lavin’s time at UCLA, the Red Storm players now take grooming advice straight out of the Wooden playbook."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2010/10/steve_lavin.html

« Reply #457 on: April 16, 2013, 04:50:21 PM »
Now we know the real reason Sean Evans was in his doghouse.  It wasn't his propensity to dribble the length of the court before turning it over.  It was facial hair.

crgreen

« Reply #458 on: April 16, 2013, 05:28:19 PM »
Of course the shaving thing sounds stupid in and of itself, but not when you look at it in the context of obeying teams rules and listening to your coach.

Well that's what you get from having a coach who spent 7 years having breakfast 3-4 times a month with John Wooden. 

JRW loved to tell the story of Bill Walton showing up for first practice his junior year (returning College Player of the Year and NCAA tournye MVP) with long hair and a beard.  Coach reminded him of his rules on grooming.  Bill replied, "I'm an adult in a free country - you don't have the right to tell me how I should look."  And Coach responded "Bill, you're certainly correct.  I don't have that right.  But I do have the right as Coach of this team  to decide who will be on it.   Your teammates and I will miss you.  Practice will start in 20 minutes." 

Discipline only works if the playes know it will be enforced.  Lavin's move may prove to have been of incredible importance to team success IN THE FUTURE.   Players now know no matter how big a star you are, you're not bigger than the team.    Lav's move might have taken more resolve than Wooden's did.   Steve was in his first year back from caner recovery, and D'Lo was replaced by Marco, Felix and more minutes for Phil.    Wooden already had 8 NCAA titles in the past 9 years in  the bank - he was not going to back down or compromise his rules, and  of course, even If Walton had gone, Swen Nater would have simply gone from 8 minute career backup to first team all american (he was ABA rookie of the year the following season).   :D

SJUFAN

« Reply #459 on: April 16, 2013, 05:34:15 PM »
Harrison kept the issues to the chest, gave the media something in jest by making the shaving comment. That shows his maturity, imo. Do some of you actually believe his suspension is because he didn't shave?

That's one theory. Another is that you have no idea what you're talking about.

NEW YORK — The guy from California had finally gotten his new team to buy into every aspect of his sales pitch. Steve Lavin had come to St. John’s a complete outsider, but was ready to have all 10 seniors and three underclassmen singing his praises. But then, he went one step too far. He wanted them to shave.

“At first, we were all really upset about it,” St. John’s senior forward D.J. Kennedy said. “But then we listened and realized, it’ll grow back. It’s one of coach Lav’s policies. It’s from John Wooden, so I guess it’s all right.”

[...]

And thanks to Lavin’s time at UCLA, the Red Storm players now take grooming advice straight out of the Wooden playbook."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2010/10/steve_lavin.html

Your referencing an article written in 2010? hmmmmmm......let me see, nope, no mention of Harrison and the reason behind his suspension in that article either. Unless speculation in now considered a fact, you have no idea what you are talking about. You can continue to hypothesize though, its very entertaining.