Shooters

• 47 replies
Re: Shooters
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 11:52:57 AM »
Why you think the problem is Greene is shooting contested shots? That is the scary thing he misses open shots. Greene is going to be the starting two. I think Branch will improve but if you have Branch, Greene and Pointer as your guard / wings I don't care if they recruit the reincarnation of Hakeem Olajuwon, we will not be a strong shooting team.

Probably going around the 2 after all the necessities are taken care of, but like the fella say: it ain't the singer, it's the song.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 12:27:28 PM »
I played with a guy like Phil in a work league.  The guy was a chucker.  We never passed him the ball before passing half court, because he would probably shoot it. 

desco80

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 12:58:32 PM »
I agree we need shooters, but I think this debate gets framed the wrong way a lot of times.   It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
I actually don't really care about the Marcos or Hoopers, because they're so one dimensional.   
Is Council a bad athlete?  Is Fuquaan Edwin?    Starks from Gtown?    Kilpatrick/Wright?  Southerland?  Woodall? Those are the guys at the top of the big east in shooting. 

It doesn't have to be a decision between a great shooter vs a great athlete, there are guys who can shoot - and still ya know - get up and down the court like a basketball player.   

And those guys I mentioned aren't exactly out of our league in terms of recruiting; we have plenty of kids in our program who were higher ranked recruits.   But I think we need to compromise a little with our recruiting.   Also, if you look at that list it's also obvious that experience helps.  That at least gives me some hope that Branch, Phil, Dom etc will improve their shots over time.   
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 12:59:01 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 11:32:31 PM »
I agree we need shooters, but I think this debate gets framed the wrong way a lot of times.   It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
I actually don't really care about the Marcos or Hoopers, because they're so one dimensional.   
Is Council a bad athlete?  Is Fuquaan Edwin?    Starks from Gtown?    Kilpatrick/Wright?  Southerland?  Woodall? Those are the guys at the top of the big east in shooting. 

It doesn't have to be a decision between a great shooter vs a great athlete, there are guys who can shoot - and still ya know - get up and down the court like a basketball player.   

And those guys I mentioned aren't exactly out of our league in terms of recruiting; we have plenty of kids in our program who were higher ranked recruits.   But I think we need to compromise a little with our recruiting.   Also, if you look at that list it's also obvious that experience helps.  That at least gives me some hope that Branch, Phil, Dom etc will improve their shots over time.

It's just a weird phenomenon...you turn on random games on CBS, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SNY, etc. and every team seems to have some lethal shooter on the team that can make 3's pretty easily. We never seem to have those guys. I don't care what star recruit he is...can the kid shoot 3's like McDermott, Canaan, McCallum, etc? Then sign him up. I don't want a player who can shoot 3's but runs the floor like they have mud in their shoes and get the ball stolen like a grown man steals candy from a baby. I want our Cashmere Wright. I want our Stephen Curry. Our Canaan.

I truly believe that having a great 3 pt shooter can be the difference in nail-biter 3 pt. losses and 10-12 pt wins. I honestly cannot remember the last time this team shot 40%+ as a team from 3. It might have even been last year or way early like the Baylor game. If I was a fan of the opponent playing us I would be thrilled to know that SJ couldn't hurt us from 3 and they are terrible shooting the ball. Add a guy like Canaan to this team shooting 3's instead of Harrison and I think we have 20 wins right now. 3's are crucial to claw back from sizeable deficits and to keep nice cushions in victories.

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 11:46:55 PM »

It's just a weird phenomenon...you turn on random games on CBS, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SNY, etc. and every team seems to have some lethal shooter on the team that can make 3's pretty easily. We never seem to have those guys. I don't care what star recruit he is...can the kid shoot 3's like McDermott, Canaan, McCallum, etc? Then sign him up. I don't want a player who can shoot 3's but runs the floor like they have mud in their shoes and get the ball stolen like a grown man steals candy from a baby. I want our Cashmere Wright. I want our Stephen Curry. Our Canaan.

I truly believe that having a great 3 pt shooter can be the difference in nail-biter 3 pt. losses and 10-12 pt wins. I honestly cannot remember the last time this team shot 40%+ as a team from 3. It might have even been last year or way early like the Baylor game. If I was a fan of the opponent playing us I would be thrilled to know that SJ couldn't hurt us from 3 and they are terrible shooting the ball. Add a guy like Canaan to this team shooting 3's instead of Harrison and I think we have 20 wins right now. 3's are crucial to claw back from sizeable deficits and to keep nice cushions in victories.

Our Cashmere Wright?  If Harrison didn't have to shoot as much as he does his percentages would be much higher than Cashmere Wright's.  Harrison's percentage as a freshman was higher than Wright's percentage this year and he averaged way more points.

tnice

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 08:58:52 AM »

100% on the money Desco. You dont need some freakish Steve Novak type shooter. If you truly want to stretch the D you need 3 or 4 guys on the floor who are a threat to shoot the 3. Otherwise the D will do what they do to us now...recognize the one shooter on the floor, extend only for him, and slough off on everyone else. And our O will do what we do now..instead of just moving the ball and finding the open man, we force it to the one guy who can shoot and watch him shoot contested shots because the defense knows he's the one guy who can shoot.

Gimme a bunch of low 30's 3 pt shooters- the equivalent of 50% from 2- who can also play basketball and watch the fun that ensues.

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 11:48:57 AM »
Phil Greene is currently shooting 35%. Let's put that in perspective. Since the 2001-02 season only these guys have been at that level or worse and played more than 15 games:
09-10 Omari Lawrence 35% in 9.3 mpg
08-09 Malik Boothe 34%
07-08 Geno 34%
05-06 Ricky Torres 34% in 9.3 mpg
04-05 Geno 33%
04-05 Ced Jackson 34%
03-04 Curtis Johnson 35% in 15 mpg
03-04 Tyler Jones 34% in 12 mpg
01-02 Willie Shaw 34%

Ouch!  That hurts!

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 11:55:55 AM »
Sorry it took that drastic measure to try to get through to you. Consider it an intervention. :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:56:27 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 10:51:43 PM »
Phil Greene is currently shooting 35%. Let's put that in perspective. Since the 2001-02 season only these guys have been at that level or worse and played more than 15 games:
08-09 Malik Boothe 34%
07-08 Geno 34%
04-05 Geno 33%
04-05 Ced Jackson 34%
01-02 Willie Shaw 34%

You can now add:
Marco Bourgault now shooting 34.6%

boo3

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 10:55:55 PM »
08-09 Malik Boothe 34%
07-08 Geno 34%
04-05 Geno 33%
04-05 Ced Jackson 34%
01-02 Willie Shaw 34%

You can now add:
Marco Bourgault now shooting 34.6%

So if he played Phil's minutes and got off 45 shots in that time, we definitely would have been up 15 late in the game...   Simple math kids.. ;)

This team has officially caused me to lose my mind..... I apologize in advance for any more stupid posts.

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2013, 09:40:39 AM »
Great drinking game for the college age kids on the board. Every time Phil misses a shot you have to shotgun a beer.

boo3

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2013, 09:42:56 AM »
Great drinking game for the college age kids on the board. Every time Phil misses a shot you have to shotgun a beer.

Trying to set off a rash of alcohol poisoning around here? 

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2013, 09:44:40 AM »
Good point. Every time Phil makes a shot you have to shotgun a beer

DFF6

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 09:45:36 AM »
Good point. Every time Phil makes a shot you have to shotgun a beer

I thought you said this was a drinking game?

Moose

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 09:46:33 AM »
These last 4 posts were great.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 09:52:01 AM »
Lavin clearly has a problem recruiting skill players. This team has terrible shooters and right cross throwers!

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 10:40:02 AM »
RECRUIT severe...He can shoot..right? How can you recruit a team of 10 people that cannot shoot.  We should just try to block shots into the basket. 

boo3

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 10:42:02 AM »
 "We should just try to block shots into the basket. "

^^ funniest thing I've read in a while.

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 10:50:15 AM »
You should see the one where I said: "I hope Dom didn't hurt his shooting hand!!"

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 11:07:42 AM »
Need a rebounder

Sanchez?
averaged slightly more than eight rebounds in JUNIOR COLLEGE.  don't look for miracles.