The difference between us and Nova

• 16 replies
The difference between us and Nova
« on: March 06, 2013, 09:45:58 PM »
I saw this one coming from miles away...miles. This Nova team just does not give up...they don't play scared, they play together as a team, have pure shooters who can hit from anywhere, and they know how to get to the line and penetrate. They beat 3 top 5 teams. They are now a lock in the tourney. The part that makes me so upset is that I know we match them talent wise...we are not that far off from them in that department. The difference is that Nova knows how to win the big games. They don't get blown out by 20+ they beat those top tier teams. They are such a well-run program, the fans are so loyal there, and I won't lie I envy that program in every way, shape, and form.

Was just talking to some Nova fans and they were very classy saying SJ would be great next year and we are not a team to underrate. Very jealous of the year they had...if we don't make the tourney next year we are in big, big trouble.

Re: The difference between us and Nova
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
Glad to see another C7 school make the tourney (assume they do).  Was rooting against them for a while since I thought we were competing for a spot with them in the NCAAs.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 10:02:39 PM »
Glad to see another C7 school make the tourney (assume they do).  Was rooting against them for a while since I thought we were competing for a spot with them in the NCAAs.
yeah that's the way I feel also. Was rooting against them the last several games but the higher the profile right now the better for the new conference

Poison

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 10:06:16 PM »
I saw this one coming from miles away...miles. This Nova team just does not give up...they don't play scared, they play together as a team, have pure shooters who can hit from anywhere, and they know how to get to the line and penetrate. They beat 3 top 5 teams. They are now a lock in the tourney. The part that makes me so upset is that I know we match them talent wise...we are not that far off from them in that department. The difference is that Nova knows how to win the big games. They don't get blown out by 20+ they beat those top tier teams. They are such a well-run program, the fans are so loyal there, and I won't lie I envy that program in every way, shape, and form.

Was just talking to some Nova fans and they were very classy saying SJ would be great next year and we are not a team to underrate. Very jealous of the year they had...if we don't make the tourney next year we are in big, big trouble.

We're not on big trouble, but Lavin will be fired.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 10:06:41 PM »
They play well against good teams but they play a style of basketball that to me is hard to watch.  They throw their head back on every drive like D'Angelo does (except Nova usually gets the call) and do that pump fake lean in trying to get the foul whenever they can't get open.  If the refs call it more power to them but I hate watching basketball where teams play the refs.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 10:13:17 PM »
They play well against good teams but they play a style of basketball that to me is hard to watch.  They throw their head back on every drive like D'Angelo does (except Nova usually gets the call) and do that pump fake lean in trying to get the foul whenever they can't get open.  If the refs call it more power to them but I hate watching basketball where teams play the refs.

No doubt at all that Nova has gotten every call and more than they could dream of. Their home cooking is VERY generous. It's one thing to be able to play 3 top 5 teams at home, and another to have the refs granting 40 potential freebies while granting the other team 8. However, the point is, they get the W's when they need them, and we fold. I wouldn't believe anyone for a second on here if they claim they aren't jealous of Nova in the past decade.

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 10:35:11 PM »

BTW Welcome back Joe3

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:41:44 PM »

BTW Welcome back Joe3

Haha was thinking the same thing
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

SJUFAN

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 01:35:44 PM »
You forgot to mention that Wright has been there for what 10+ years????
Let's not also forget they have 1 senior, 1 junior, and 2 sophomores in their starting lineup with 1 senior, 1 junior, and 1 sophomore coming off the bench, they also have 2 freshmen getting minutes. You could either make the same comparison when Lavin is in his 10th year, or simply look back at Jay's third year and see he went 6-10 in Big East play. Jay wasn't on a 7 year hiatus prior to taking over Nova and didn't miss his second year and having to deal with buzzards tell every recruit and their momma that coach is on his death bed and isn't coming back.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:37:29 PM by STJFAN »

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 01:40:36 PM »
Or even talk about the phone card scandal and did that tarnish the UV brand????????????????  ::) ::) ::) ::)

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 01:45:24 PM »
TALENT!  Shooters!

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 10:43:30 PM »
Villanova has shooters (Arcidiacono) and a beast down low (Pinkston). It's a recipe for success.

With another year of seasoning, I'm expecting Sampson and Obekpa to be a tough frontcourt. As for the shooters ...

pmg911

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 07:51:14 AM »
Think about how good they would have been if Dom Cheek & Malik Wayns had stayed in school

gman

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 08:14:29 AM »
Villanova has shooters (Arcidiacono) and a beast down low (Pinkston). It's a recipe for success.

With another year of seasoning, I'm expecting Sampson and Obekpa to be a tough frontcourt. As for the shooters ...

Exactly.  Those two are exactly what we needed, especially a big guy like Pinkston.

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 08:19:23 AM »
Think about how good they would have been if Dom Cheek & Malik Wayns had stayed in school

Actually I think it's the opposite. I think they are good this year because those kids left. Cheeks flat out wasn't that good. Never lived up to the hype. Wayns had talent but for some reason was very up and down. I don't think it's a coincidence those guys left and the team is playing more like a team.

pmg911

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 09:00:12 AM »
We can politely disagree on Cheek, he would have been a double figure scorer coming back to the team. He might not have been MCD AA good but I will take a Sr who has increased his scoring every year any day of the week.

CC

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 09:19:55 AM »
Looks like we will see them in the 7/10 game .