Babylon system is the vampire, yea!

• 6 replies
Babylon system is the vampire, yea!
« on: March 07, 2013, 02:15:11 PM »
I'm hearing a lot lately about the system or lack thereof.

"no offensive system"
"Lavin has no system"
"Dunlap had a system, Lavin doesn't"
"we need a system on offense"
"Lavin needs an x and o guy so he can run a system"
"what's our system?"
"Pete Carril had a good system"
"St. John's has no idea how to attack a zone and no offensive system" - BN and DP
etc., etc., etc.

LEAVES ME WONDERING WHAT OFFENSIVE SYSTEM could be successful on a team with no players that can score in the low post AND no players that can make an outside shot? 

We either need to score off of our defense or get out quick on a fast break or have Jakarr score from mid-range or have an occasional player score attacking the rim when we are lucky enough to get the other team spread out enough. Plus we're always shorter than the other team so to rebound even with the opponent is the best we can hope for.

We had a scorer in the Hill, Hatten, Hardy mold of being able to create his own spectacular brand of offense late in the shot clock in a one on one Earl Monroe style that could help mask our offensive ineptitude but now he's suspended.

It's gonna be fugly from here out boys and I'm not sure Lapchick himself could find the answers with this bunch.

desco80

Re: Babylon system is the vampire, yea!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 02:35:59 PM »

"no offensive system"
"Lavin has no system"
"what's our system?"
"St. John's has no idea how to attack a zone and no offensive system" - BN and DP
etc., etc., etc.

LEAVES ME WONDERING WHAT OFFENSIVE SYSTEM could be successful on a team with no players that can score in the low post AND no players that can make an outside shot? 

We give Obekpa and Sampson the ball at the top of the key.    Maybe it's true they can't score in the post, but how would we even know?   

You could be right about the 'system" talk being overrated.    But, we're the only team I've seen all year run this weave every possession.    So there's at least some evidence that maybe the strategy, or how we teach it to the guys, is wrong.   
Sports isn't rocket science.   You copy and replicate what the successful teams are doing.   We don't do anything like anyone else in the top 25, with the exception of maybe NC State. 

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 02:45:31 PM »
Urgency. Pass the ball like you mean it. Maybe the defense will have to move a little bit.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 02:48:38 PM »

"no offensive system"
"Lavin has no system"
"what's our system?"
etc., etc., etc.

We either need to score off of our defense or get out quick on a fast break or have Jakarr score from mid-range or have an occasional player score attacking the rim when we are lucky enough to get the other team spread out enough. Plus we're always shorter than the other team so to rebound even with the opponent is the best we can hope for.

We had a scorer in the Hill, Hatten, Hardy mold of being able to create his own spectacular brand of offense late in the shot clock in a one on one Earl Monroe style that could help mask our offensive ineptitude but now he's suspended.

It's gonna be fugly from here out boys and I'm not sure Lapchick himself could find the answers with this bunch.

The players have to get after it more. I only see Pointer going hard on both ends of the glass. If we are so athletic, play man to man and shut down a strong offense by playing harder than them. It always feels like opposing teams play harder.

When was the last time you saw a Johnny follow his own ill advised shot? They all just back peddle.

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 02:54:43 PM »

"no offensive system"
"Lavin has no system"
"what's our system?"
etc., etc., etc.

+1

derk

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 03:08:34 PM »
Urgency. Pass the ball like you mean it. Maybe the defense will have to move a little bit.

Can somebody tell these guys that a defender can't outrun a pass unless the pass is so slow as to allow the defender to catch up. By the second or third pass you've created enough space to get a wide open shot or penetration dribble.

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 03:24:57 PM »
If you don't rebound you can't run. It's really simple
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle