JaKarr ROY

• 233 replies
Re: JaKarr ROY
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2013, 10:15:51 PM »

Harvard girls are lame.

Especially if you're on the basketball team and not one of those sweet finals clubs.

sju89tr

« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2013, 10:17:30 AM »
I saw Max at Mater Dei, 3 years ago?

I can tell you he is a smart ballplayer and willing to bang a little.

He won't get ball stolen every time he puts ball on the floor. He is not going to get beaten back door consistently. He is taller than Marco.

We are not going to see the next Ron Rowan but I can tell you he won't hurt you if he plays 10-15 minutes a game next year and hits a few three pointer.

I agree though, key to his success as well as Marco comes from Lavin's game plan and the guards doing their job creating plays.   

Poison

« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2013, 11:14:35 AM »
I saw Max at Mater Dei, 3 years ago?

I can tell you he is a smart ballplayer and willing to bang a little.

He won't get ball stolen every time he puts ball on the floor. He is not going to get beaten back door consistently. He is taller than Marco.

We are not going to see the next Ron Rowan but I can tell you he won't hurt you if he plays 10-15 minutes a game next year and hits a few three pointer.

I agree though, key to his success as well as Marco comes from Lavin's game plan and the guards doing their job creating plays.   

That's nice to hear, but in regards to Marco, he just missed shots. He was given chances, and he showed very little promise. Lavin needs to add another capable shooter, especially if Harrison leaves. Marco can't be counted on to be that guy.

TONYD3

« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2013, 11:25:24 AM »
I hope Marco wants to be a starter and decides to go some where else. Would lobe to get a juco big man instead Who wants to play defense and rebound.

« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2013, 12:57:32 PM »
Remember once upon a time when the prevailing logic on this board was that all we need to do is play Marco Giscard d'Estaing and the Aggie more and the season would be saved?

« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2013, 12:59:33 PM »
Remember once upon a time when the prevailing logic on this board was that all we need to do is play Marco Giscard d'Estaing and the Aggie more and the season would be saved?

Rarely did they get much run together.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2013, 01:00:31 PM »
I hope Marco wants to be a starter and decides to go some where else. Would lobe to get a juco big man instead Who wants to play defense and rebound.

We essentially have two of them coming in already. Orlando and GG.

Poison

« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2013, 01:12:06 PM »

I hear that 100%. It was much more than him not hitting threes. The game was way too fast for him. He wasn't thinking fast enough, and he wasn't moving fast enough. To a lesser extent, Gift wasn't thinking much 2 years ago as well.

Maybe a summer of practice can make a big difference? The staff took two guys who weren't starting and made turned them into studs. It will be interesting to see if Lavin advises a couple of guys to look elsewhere for PT, or he keeps what he has got.

Poison

« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2013, 01:26:05 PM »

The logic wasn't really logic but more out of desperation. I know I asked to see different guys. Greene may have finished pretty well, but he had stretches where didn't deserve to be out there bec he wasn't passing or scoring the ball.

Sometimes guys get to play just because there's no one else.

I said the same thing regarding Phil Wait and Omari Lawrence. I'm not a fan of strutting the same guys out there every game if we are getting housed. And we got housed plenty of times this year. Guys who are waiting their turn should get a chance.

To his credit, Greene did improve this year. I expect him to come back as an even better player next season.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 12:58:40 PM by Poison »

TONYD3

« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2013, 04:17:26 PM »
I think Omari could have contributed here. Don't know what Marco can bring. He can practice all summer if he wants just like i can. Doesnt change the fact that we both stink.

Poison

« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2013, 01:36:10 AM »
I think Omari could have contributed here. Don't know what Marco can bring. He can practice all summer if he wants just like i can. Doesnt change the fact that we both stink.

Looks that way, but it isn't always so clear. Tyshawn Edmondson was awful as a freshman, but he worked hard and improved-a lot.

LJSA

« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2013, 02:36:48 AM »
I watched several of Omari's South Kent games streamed online, and he looked like a stud. I was really impressed with his BB IQ. Not sure what happened.

« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2013, 11:15:09 AM »
He got fat and lazy under the last regime

paultzman

« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2013, 01:38:13 PM »
Another Honor, College Insider

2013 KYLE MACY FRESHMEN ALL-AMERICA TEAM

Kyle Anderson   6-9   G   UCLA
Ryan Arcidiacono   6-3   G   Villanova
Anthony Bennett   6-8   F   UNLV
Sim Bhullar   7-5   C   New Mexico State
John Brown   6-7   F   High Point
Omar Calhoun   6-5   G   Connecticut
Jahii Carson   5-10   G   Arizona State
Semaj Christon   6-3   G   Xavier
Damyean Dotson   6-5   G   Oregon
Olivier Hanlan   6-4   G   Boston College
Gary Harris   6-4   G   Michigan State
Danuel House   6-7   F   Houston
R.J. Hunter   6-5   G   Georgia State
Ben McLemore   6-5   G   Kansas
Shabazz Muhammad   6-6   G-F   UCLA
Nerlens Noel   6-10   F   Kentucky
Marcus Paige   6-0   G   North Carolina
Glenn Robinson III   6-6   F   Michigan
JaKarr Sampson   6-8   F   St. John's
Marcus Smart   6-4   G   Oklahoma State
D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera   6-3   G   Georgetown

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:39:17 PM by paultzman »

SJUFAN

« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2013, 02:02:26 PM »
I said the same thing regarding Phil Wait and Omari Lawrence. I'm not a fan of strutting the same guys out there every game if we are getting housed. And we got housed plenty of times this year. Guys who are waiting their turn should get a chance.

Guys get there chance every day in practice. It doesn't matter that you haven't seen it. You guys have to trust that Coach is playing his best options.  Coaches want to win just a much as the fans, if he had better options, he would play them.   
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:13:34 PM by STJFAN »

« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2013, 02:34:48 PM »

Guys get there chance every day in practice. It doesn't matter that you haven't seen it. You guys have to trust that Coach is playing his best options.  Coaches want to win just a much as the fans, if he had better options, he would play them.   

Coaches have never played the wrong guys before?

SJUFAN

« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2013, 02:55:44 PM »

Coaches have never played the wrong guys before?

Based on the information that is available to them, no. There are times, few times, where players actually play better during the game. But you can't blame a coach for not trusting to put a player in the game who doesn't know the offense, or understand their defensive rotations, make poor decisions, or make shots in practice. Coaches are trying to win a game.

When you say "play the wrong player" that is often based off of the results, hinesight. If you seen that same player completely lost in practice I doubt he would be the first person that you would put into the game. Sometimes the light just comes on. Players are not lighting it up in practice and don't see the floor. Coaches want to win.

« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2013, 04:17:27 PM »

Excellent point. It's why I chide some of our posters for their predictable love of our "backup quarterbacks". Up until walkon gate I was with you.  That was just inexplicable.

SJUFAN

« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2013, 04:50:46 PM »

Excellent point. It's why I chide some of our posters for their predictable love of our "backup quarterbacks". Up until walkon gate I was with you.  That was just inexplicable.

Some of you have been harsh regarding the walkon decision. But lets be honest, the walkons, with the exception of Lipscomb, played 1 minute each. Why is that inexplicable? They were not inserted with 50 sec remaining and us down by 1. Their playing time had no impact on us winning or losing the game. It was a classy move by coach, imo, to get them at least 1 minute of action in what maybe their final game in an STJ uniform. We don't know if they will be on the team next year. These kids work their tails off all year, just as hard as the scholarship players. Why is that so terrible?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:53:16 PM by STJFAN »

« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2013, 06:02:19 PM »
And Lipscomb was only in there because unless you wanted Pointer (which could have been an option) playing guard there was no other option at third guard with Dlo suspended and Balamou injured.