Talked to D'angelo at the game yesterday

• 241 replies
Re: Talked to D'angelo at the game yesterday
« Reply #220 on: April 12, 2013, 01:51:47 PM »
I thought crgreen told us that Lavin doesn't guarantee starting spots, but I could be wrong.

Would a coach say that he does?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #221 on: April 12, 2013, 01:52:13 PM »
I don't have a problem with it for the right player. BTW if Jordan can't start for us he should not be the 22nd ranked HS player

LJSA

« Reply #222 on: April 12, 2013, 01:59:53 PM »
I thought crgreen told us that Lavin doesn't guarantee starting spots, but I could be wrong.

I think crgreen is actually friendly with Lavin, and not just going off news clippings.

« Reply #223 on: April 12, 2013, 02:02:07 PM »

I think crgreen is actually friendly with Lavin, and not just going off news clippings.

Oh I see.  Said the blind man to his deaf wife.

« Reply #224 on: April 12, 2013, 02:06:32 PM »
I am friends with coach Keady and I asked him if Jordan was guaranteed a starting spot. He responded "who is Jordan?"

DFF6

« Reply #225 on: April 12, 2013, 02:12:30 PM »
I am friends with coach Keady and I asked him if Jordan was guaranteed a starting spot. He responded "who is Jordan?"

You're on a roll today!

« Reply #226 on: April 12, 2013, 02:39:35 PM »
Unless you are Kentucky, Carolina, etc, generally to get kids like this you guarantee a starting spot. Plus this is not 1980, kids now expect to go to the pros after one season. No one is waiting around to get PT in college.

As a former coach, I'm wondering how you can guarantee a kid a starting spot?  If the rest of your team gets wind of it, and saying something to one player is like telling the entire team - they talk about everything, you'ld never hear the end of it.

I don't like the premise of it, but are you naive enough to think it doesn't happen?

Exactly.  Carmine, why do you think Polee always started even though he wasn't playing starting five minutes?

Wasn't there a story about Lou doing it with one of his recruits and failing to follow through on the promise? I was to young at the time but heard about it because i think the recruit was from Albany around where I'm from.

That would be Elander Lewis, also brought in Marcus Broadnax.  Next year Boo and Porter arrived, Broadnax left and Lewis saw little time and transferred.  Funny thing was Boo was ineligible and Porter left after one season, so maybe Elander would have gotten more pt but Buchannan and Brust were the starters and Boo came back the following year.  Can't be certain but I think lewis went to vcu.

« Reply #227 on: April 12, 2013, 02:42:52 PM »
Unless you are Kentucky, Carolina, etc, generally to get kids like this you guarantee a starting spot. Plus this is not 1980, kids now expect to go to the pros after one season. No one is waiting around to get PT in college.

As a former coach, I'm wondering how you can guarantee a kid a starting spot?  If the rest of your team gets wind of it, and saying something to one player is like telling the entire team - they talk about everything, you'ld never hear the end of it.

I don't like the premise of it, but are you naive enough to think it doesn't happen?

Exactly.  Carmine, why do you think Polee always started even though he wasn't playing starting five minutes?

Wasn't there a story about Lou doing it with one of his recruits and failing to follow through on the promise? I was to young at the time but heard about it because i think the recruit was from Albany around where I'm from.

That would be Elander Lewis, also brought in Marcus Broadnax.  Next year Boo and Porter arrived, Broadnax left and Lewis saw little time and transferred.  Funny thing was Boo was ineligible and Porter left after one season, so maybe Elander would have gotten more pt but Buchannan and Brust were the starters and Boo came back the following year.  Can't be certain but I think lewis went to vcu.

Thanks section 9. Appreciate it!

« Reply #228 on: April 12, 2013, 05:11:42 PM »

To win the opening tap with his superior leaping ability?  :)

« Reply #229 on: April 12, 2013, 05:53:42 PM »
My recollection is Elander Lewis transferred to East Carolina where he became their leading scorer at about 15 pts per game.

paultzman

« Reply #230 on: April 12, 2013, 05:55:28 PM »
My recollection is Elander Lewis transferred to East Carolina where he became their leading scorer at about 15 pts per game.

VCU

desco80

« Reply #231 on: April 12, 2013, 06:18:32 PM »

I think it definitely happens.   That's why I wasn't shocked Jermaine Lawrence went to Cinci.   Could Lav really have guaranteed him a starting spot next year with Sampson, Jakarr, and Dom back?  Probably not. 

Gumby

« Reply #232 on: April 13, 2013, 09:33:11 AM »

VCU
There was a third guard involved in the recruitment of Lewis and Broadnax.  Coach C. told me not pursuing that player was one of his two worst recruiting mistakes.  That third guard was Gary Payton.  As some of you know, Gary wanted to play for Coach C. and St. John's in the worst way. But Coach C. stayed with the east coach recruits.  What ever happened to that kid, Payton?

By the way, according to Coach C., his worst recruiting mistake was some kid from Uniondale who could leap over buildings.  Coach C. dropped the ball on recruiting this player not once, but twice.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:35:23 AM by Gumby »

« Reply #233 on: April 13, 2013, 02:40:16 PM »
"@STJ_Basketball: D'Angelo will be with us on Monday to accept a MWBA Award. Will post interview footage. RT @gionysports: What's Harrison's status? #stjbb"

I'd take this as a good sign. Hopefully someone asks him directly if he's coming back next season.

« Reply #234 on: April 13, 2013, 04:58:30 PM »

VCU
There was a third guard involved in the recruitment of Lewis and Broadnax.  Coach C. told me not pursuing that player was one of his two worst recruiting mistakes.  That third guard was Gary Payton.  As some of you know, Gary wanted to play for Coach C. and St. John's in the worst way. But Coach C. stayed with the east coach recruits.  What ever happened to that kid, Payton?

By the way, according to Coach C., his worst recruiting mistake was some kid from Uniondale who could leap over buildings.  Coach C. dropped the ball on recruiting this player not once, but twice.
If my memory allows me to get this one right GP actually mailed a signed letter to St. J's and Louie tore it up in favor of Lewis and Broadnax and then proceded to never really give either of them a real chance with playing time especially Elander Lewis who showed ability and went on to play real well at VCU as I previously mentioned and some of the guys he played ahead of them were nothing to get excited about.

Poison

« Reply #235 on: April 13, 2013, 05:06:12 PM »
"@STJ_Basketball: D'Angelo will be with us on Monday to accept a MWBA Award. Will post interview footage. RT @gionysports: What's Harrison's status? #stjbb"

I'd take this as a good sign. Hopefully someone asks him directly if he's coming back next season.

What is MWBA?

paultzman

« Reply #236 on: April 13, 2013, 05:09:17 PM »

What is MWBA?

Haggerty Awards

« Reply #237 on: April 13, 2013, 05:13:30 PM »
if jordan is the real deal, EVERYONE, including my boy Phil will be 100x better.  don't sleep on Phil folks, i think he'll be just as good if not better than Harrison next season.
::)
Really?

« Reply #238 on: April 13, 2013, 08:32:43 PM »
Hopefully if Jordan doesn't start it's because branch has lived up to his ranking out of hs and that is a great thing.

LJSA

« Reply #239 on: April 13, 2013, 08:38:33 PM »

Kahiem Seawright? ;D