2013-2014 Schedule

• 909 replies
Re: 2013-2014 Schedule
« Reply #220 on: April 30, 2013, 08:32:47 AM »
I don't know about you guys but I expect this team to plow through the cupcakes early on unlike this past year. We cannot tolerate multiple Asheville/USF type games. I try to be realistic and many teams have at least 1 hiccup early on so I won't say we must go undefeated, but we better not have more than 1 loss against true cupcakes early on. If this team does not look like the clear better and dominant team in those types of games I will be very concerned. No more excuses guys, this is it. Put up or shut up time.

Marillac

« Reply #221 on: April 30, 2013, 09:45:16 AM »
I don't know about you guys but I expect this team to plow through the cupcakes early on unlike this past year. We cannot tolerate multiple Asheville/USF type games. I try to be realistic and many teams have at least 1 hiccup early on so I won't say we must go undefeated, but we better not have more than 1 loss against true cupcakes early on. If this team does not look like the clear better and dominant team in those types of games I will be very concerned. No more excuses guys, this is it. Put up or shut up time.

I am very confident we will run through the cupcakes with large margins of victory.  The Europe trip will be a HUGE advantage for this team early.  I don't think this team is immune from an early upset or a disappointing loss, but I expect this team to be downright menacing to lesser teams.  This is the first year Coach Lavin's vision will be a reality...he quoted this exact year when he was hired for a reason. 

sju89tr

« Reply #222 on: April 30, 2013, 10:25:47 AM »

If we play 12 or so out of conference pre BE games with a similar schedule to what we had last year, at worst I think we are 11-1. The record is going to be important come selection time because the new conference won't have the built in SOS that last years conference supplied. Don't get me wrong, still a very good conference but Butler, Xavier, and Creighton <  everything we left behind at least at last year concerned 

« Reply #223 on: April 30, 2013, 10:58:44 AM »

If we play 12 or so out of conference pre BE games with a similar schedule to what we had last year, at worst I think we are 11-1. The record is going to be important come selection time because the new conference won't have the built in SOS that last years conference supplied. Don't get me wrong, still a very good conference but Butler, Xavier, and Creighton <  everything we left behind at least at last year concerned 
completely agree. we have nothing but positive vibes for the upcoming season.  i believe god's gift will be a major asset and a re-dedicated harrison will be our kemba walker.

desco80

« Reply #224 on: April 30, 2013, 05:41:41 PM »
A lot depends on what the non-conference schedule looks like, but I have a hard time imagining us rolling through the early part of the season without some bumps. 
As joe is fond of pointing out, just look at the probabilities.
A lot would have to go right for us to go undefeated, or only have one loss, in no conference play.
Sanchez would have to be as good as advertised.
Dangelo would have to 1) not kicked off the team again  2) have his head on straight, and 3) be shooting better than he did this past season
Either Jordan would have to be very good or Branch would have to be much improved.  But one of them would have to be a good pg.
Coach would need to be willing to play one of those two in place of Circles.
And we'd need to be mostly healthy.

Could those things happen?  Sure.   I expect most will come to fruition, but not all.  Which is why I'd bet we lose 2-3 games before conference play opens. 
Depending on the schedule of course. 

TONYD3

« Reply #225 on: April 30, 2013, 07:09:12 PM »
I missed the last few games. I heard branch didn't play well. But as a junior I think he is going to be one of the better pg's in the big east. Is that crazy to think that ?

desco80

« Reply #226 on: April 30, 2013, 07:24:38 PM »
I missed the last few games. I heard branch didn't play well. But as a junior I think he is going to be one of the better pg's in the big east. Is that crazy to think that ?

I'm hoping the same thing happens.   I don't know if it's likely to happen, but I don't think it's crazy Tony.
There were games (like Marquette) where I thought he looked very good and was on the verge of breaking out.  But he was never consistent, and his shooting became a real problem. 

I think as fans we're sleeping on Branch a little.  We only saw him for half a season, and he had eye surgery and then a knee injury during that time. 

« Reply #227 on: April 30, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »

I'm hoping the same thing happens.   I don't know if it's likely to happen, but I don't think it's crazy Tony.
There were games (like Marquette) where I thought he looked very good and was on the verge of breaking out.  But he was never consistent, and his shooting became a real problem. 

I think as fans we're sleeping on Branch a little.  We only saw him for half a season, and he had eye surgery and then a knee injury during that time. 

During our best stretch of the season I thought branch might have been our most vital piece. I've never wavered on him. I think he can be a really good point guard, as long as our team lets him be the PG. A lot of guys on our team unfortunately think they are PGs, Dom and JaKarr on the break, Phil in the half court. They need to give it to branch in the backcourt so he can get it to guys up ahead, because that is what he does best. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 08:43:32 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #228 on: April 30, 2013, 08:49:32 PM »

During our best stretch of the season I thought branch might have been our most vital piece. I've never wavered on him. I think he can be a really good point guard, as long as our team lets him be the PG. A lot of guys on our team unfortunately think they are PGs, Dom and JaKarr on the break, Phil in the half court. They need to give it to branch in the backcourt so he can get it to guys up ahead, because that is what he does best.

I totally agree Mase.
I think the two things Branch does best are look to pass up court, and get in the lane.   He threw a few outlet passes that made me cringe, but he's the only guy who looks to move the ball up ahead.
I still don't fully understand why we didn't play Branch and Marco together.   Branch started driving somewhat regularly, and seeing he was among the trees, he'd go under the hoop and dribble back out.  That's when guys are usually open on the perimeter.
Prigioli and Kidd do it a half dozen times every game.   Gets the defense to collapse.

« Reply #229 on: April 30, 2013, 09:06:49 PM »

I totally agree Mase.
I think the two things Branch does best are look to pass up court, and get in the lane.   He threw a few outlet passes that made me cringe, but he's the only guy who looks to move the ball up ahead.
I still don't fully understand why we didn't play Branch and Marco together.   Branch started driving somewhat regularly, and seeing he was among the trees, he'd go under the hoop and dribble back out.  That's when guys are usually open on the perimeter.
Prigioli and Kidd do it a half dozen times every game.   Gets the defense to collapse.

I too often wondered why the two of them didn't play together, Desco. Maybe lavin didn't trust the two of them out there together defensively, IDK.

I'm looking forward to Branch, Dlo, and Rysheed out on the court together. That's a lineup who can really get out and run. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #230 on: May 01, 2013, 04:00:58 PM »
I expect Branch to be much better.  Whether or not that is good enough to be a starter, I do not know.  It depends on how good Jordan is and how much Phil Greene improves as well.  I would not be shocked if he was all-league.  I would also not be shocked if he didn't start.

Branch has played a total of 28 games in his two half seasons with different teams.  A lot of those games included him adjusting to his team (twice) or playing injured. I thought there was a stretch he looked really good.  We haven't seen his best yet...I think he is really made for an up-and-down game that we will hopefully be playing.  He's not a great athlete, but he's smooth int he open court.  Another year of strength and conditioning could really help him.

« Reply #231 on: May 01, 2013, 05:03:57 PM »
I expect Branch to be much better.  Whether or not that is good enough to be a starter, I do not know.  It depends on how good Jordan is and how much Phil Greene improves as well.  I would not be shocked if he was all-league.  I would also not be shocked if he didn't start.

Branch has played a total of 28 games in his two half seasons with different teams.  A lot of those games included him adjusting to his team (twice) or playing injured. I thought there was a stretch he looked really good.  We haven't seen his best yet...I think he is really made for an up-and-down game that we will hopefully be playing.  He's not a great athlete, but he's smooth int he open court.  Another year of strength and conditioning could really help him.

Branch in the Marquette game was the best I've seen a point guard play for us in quite some time.  He can be special if he stays healthy and gets to the hoop.

« Reply #232 on: May 01, 2013, 05:17:48 PM »
Branch needs to dribble closer to the wood when he penetrates. Defenses have gotten wise and swipe it away from behind.

Marillac

« Reply #233 on: May 01, 2013, 06:42:57 PM »
Branch needs to dribble closer to the wood when he penetrates. Defenses have gotten wise and swipe it away from behind.

Agree with this...one of the first things I look for in a PG.  It's safe to say he needs to protect the ball a lot better during many facets of his game.  His passes can be very lazy and risky. 

Poison

« Reply #234 on: May 01, 2013, 10:54:08 PM »

I don't think we sleep on anyone. We obsess on everyone. Branch was a freshman last year regardless of his academic standing. He needs to hit the weight room in a major way. He showed some positive signs, but for the most part, he was overwhelmed against good teams.

paultzman

« Reply #235 on: May 02, 2013, 12:04:05 PM »

7. Mediocre teams becoming good, bad teams getting better

St. John's Red Storm: I never understood why Jakarr Sampson didn't receive more hype last season. As a freshman, the forward averaged 14.9 points and 6.6 rebounds, yet Steve Lavin was able to convince the NBA prospect to return for his sophomore season. Even without Sampson, St. John's roster would've been loaded. Chris Obekpa ranked second in the country in blocks last season with 4.1 per game, and D.J. Harrison averaged a team-high 17.8 points. Both return along with bruising forward God's Gift Achiuwa, who redshirted last season. Another important piece will be incoming freshman Rysheed Jordan, the No. 3-ranked point guard in the Class of 2013.

“@eamonnbrennan: King's Court: Top 10 for 2013-14 http://es.pn/ZpAKkg

boo3

« Reply #236 on: May 02, 2013, 12:10:28 PM »
DJ Harrison...lol

paultzman

« Reply #237 on: May 02, 2013, 12:12:17 PM »
DJ Harrison...lol

It's not like these idiots are under crushing deadlines out of season. Do your homework!

« Reply #238 on: May 02, 2013, 04:33:57 PM »
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS 11m
The four hosts for the Legends Classic are Pittsburgh, Stanford, Texas Tech and Houston.

Looks like it's just the Barclays Classic for us.

Poison

« Reply #239 on: May 02, 2013, 04:52:10 PM »
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS 11m
The four hosts for the Legends Classic are Pittsburgh, Stanford, Texas Tech and Houston.

Looks like it's just the Barclays Classic for us.

Who would go to this?