2013-2014 Schedule

• 909 replies

Moose

Re: 2013-2014 Schedule
« Reply #260 on: May 06, 2013, 03:32:36 PM »
People should go see SJU wherever they play.  Both are major conference schools that we need to beat.  Time for fans to step up too.

I had the exact same thought but declined to post.  It's time to stop making excuses and start getting our butts in the seats---irrespective of who the opponent is.

In theory, yes they should, but they didn't against St.Francis. Do we need to be undefeated to tell these seats in Brooklyn?

That situation was odd though.  All of the lower seats were sold to Michigan/WVU fans and it's hard to expect people to pay 25 bucks a seat to sit in the rafters to see us play St. Francis.

We were a late addition to a Mich/WVU and Fordham game.  We blew thru our ticket allotment and asked for more and were rebuffed.  Michigan is playing there again next year.  Sounds like they have an aggressive AD.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #261 on: May 06, 2013, 04:13:14 PM »
We need to stop playing awful programs like Fordham and St.Francis. It's simply not fair to ask people to pay for what should be a slaughter. It's just boring.

Moose

« Reply #262 on: May 06, 2013, 04:18:13 PM »
We need to stop playing awful programs like Fordham and St.Francis. It's simply not fair to ask people to pay for what should be a slaughter. It's just boring.

Price of tickets is definitely a concern but our SOS is always high because we balance it well vs. our conference slate.  Going forward you will probably see some better teams based on losing some old BE teams but there will always be a place for a couple of local layups.  It balances the schedule.

As for if the ticket price matches what you see?  That's another story.  If we win it won't matter what the damn ticket price is.

desco80

« Reply #263 on: May 07, 2013, 03:37:32 PM »
People should go see SJU wherever they play.  Both are major conference schools that we need to beat.  Time for fans to step up too.

I had the exact same thought but declined to post.  It's time to stop making excuses and start getting our butts in the seats---irrespective of who the opponent is.

In theory, yes they should, but they didn't against St.Francis. Do we need to be undefeated to tell these seats in Brooklyn?

That situation was odd though.  All of the lower seats were sold to Michigan/WVU fans and it's hard to expect people to pay 25 bucks a seat to sit in the rafters to see us play St. Francis.

The same thing happened in the 2k at MSG two years ago.   We were significantly outnumbered by Arizona fans.  And that was coming on the heels of an NCAA berth, with a big recruiting class, and Lavin was still on the bench.

I don't see us doing well at all for those Brooklyn games.  If we win consistently then attendance will pickup as the season goes on, and our big conference games in February should see good attendance. 
But I'd be shocked if we start off that way.   I'll be there though, and I hope I'm wrong obviously. 

« Reply #264 on: May 08, 2013, 06:32:03 AM »

I have no problem with St. John's and Fordham playing every year. Keeps the local rivalry alive.

Poison

« Reply #265 on: May 08, 2013, 07:36:04 AM »

I have no problem with St. John's and Fordham playing every year. Keeps the local rivalry alive.

I wasn't being clear. I don't either, but not on the big stage. That makes it pathetic. Fordham has done nothing to earn that opportunity, only they got it anyway. If they want to play us, let it be on campus. And in no manor shape or form should we entertain playing them on a neutral site or on the road until they tow they line. Which isn't happening anytime soon.

Fordham should play Hofstra and Manhattan. Programs that they can aspire to be like. It doesn't make sense to ask people to pay top dollar to watch us play the worst program in the United States.

If we win big, which is likely, what was the point? If by some chance we lose, people have paid to watch the ugliest basketball they've ever seen. Fordham will probably not win more than 10 games next season. It's not a program that can pull the rivalry card. That program doesn't rival anyone's.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 08:41:19 AM by Poison »

« Reply #266 on: May 08, 2013, 08:50:38 AM »
Poison, bring on them Gaels and Jaspers

« Reply #267 on: May 08, 2013, 08:55:06 AM »

I wasn't being clear. I don't either, but not on the big stage. That makes it pathetic. Fordham has done nothing to earn that opportunity, only they got it anyway. If they want to play us, let it be on campus. And in no manor shape or form should we entertain playing them on a neutral site or on the road until they tow they line. Which isn't happening anytime soon.

Fordham should play Hofstra and Manhattan. Programs that they can aspire to be like. It doesn't make sense to ask people to pay top dollar to watch us play the worst program in the United States.

If we win big, which is likely, what was the point? If by some chance we lose, people have paid to watch the ugliest basketball they've ever seen. Fordham will probably not win more than 10 games next season. It's not a program that can pull the rivalry card. That program doesn't rival anyone's.
we should play as many locals as we can...with ticket prices at the appropriate level.

Poison

« Reply #268 on: May 08, 2013, 09:30:40 AM »

we should play as many locals as we can...with ticket prices at the appropriate level.

How do we decide which locals? There are lot to choose from. We always play some. IMO, the locals that it makes sense to play are Iona, LIU & Manhattan. I think we should get something out of the game too. Like competition.

« Reply #269 on: May 08, 2013, 10:13:39 AM »
According to this article SJU-Syracuse will be at MSG on Satruday December 14th.  SJU and Villanova also starting a series.

My guess is the previous Saturday, 12/7, will be the Holiday Festival and the now annual SJU-Fordham game at MSG.

Be interesting to see what network gets that game, the new FOXSPORTS1 or ESPN.  My guess is since it is a SJU home game FOXSPORTS1.

I think the Garden could be really juiced for that game.  No pun intended.  Saturday during the Holidays with the Cuse in town the bars will be packed around the Garden.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/07/report-syracuse-to-keep-big-east-ties-with-villanova/

The out-of-conference schedule Syracuse is putting together over the next few seasons, although difficult, will ennsure the Orange make several appearances at Madison Square Garden until 2016. On Dec. 14, St. John’s host Syracuse at MSG.

« Reply #270 on: May 08, 2013, 10:32:36 AM »
Do you mean Cuse and Nova?

« Reply #271 on: May 08, 2013, 10:36:12 AM »

The article is about Cuse and Nova but in the article it mentions the scheduled SJU/Cuse game next year.

desco80

« Reply #272 on: May 08, 2013, 10:48:52 AM »

How do we decide which locals? There are lot to choose from. We always play some. IMO, the locals that it makes sense to play are Iona, LIU & Manhattan. I think we should get something out of the game too. Like competition.

We shouldn't only play teams that have a shot at beating us.   I've said this before, but to me the most important thing in the non-conference games is to see a bunch of different styles.   It's all about preparing for later in the season.   
And part of that is building confidence.   I'm not saying there shouldn't be some degree of difficulty to a few games, but if every game is a challenge that's a recipe for disaster. 
A few challenges (like the Syracuse game) and 1 or two other of that caliber, and mostly cupcakes besides that.    I don't see any reward in playing challenging mid majors.   Play Syracuse or Columbia, no USF or Iona.   

Poison

« Reply #273 on: May 08, 2013, 11:02:52 AM »

We shouldn't only play teams that have a shot at beating us.   I've said this before, but to me the most important thing in the non-conference games is to see a bunch of different styles.   It's all about preparing for later in the season.   
And part of that is building confidence.   I'm not saying there shouldn't be some degree of difficulty to a few games, but if every game is a challenge that's a recipe for disaster. 
A few challenges (like the Syracuse game) and 1 or two other of that caliber, and mostly cupcakes besides that.    I don't see any reward in playing challenging mid majors.   Play Syracuse or Columbia, no USF or Iona.   

The training wheels have to come off early with this team. This is the season Lavin needs to make that big jump into to the top 25. We need to be challenged. Playing teams that have no chance at beating us is a waste of time, and we don't improve as a team by doing it. Last couple of years, I understand it. We were young. Not anymore.

The BE isn't strong enough on its own to carry us like in years past.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:06:34 AM by Poison »

« Reply #274 on: May 08, 2013, 11:16:11 AM »

The article is about Cuse and Nova but in the article it mentions the scheduled SJU/Cuse game next year.

Ok. Thought so. Thanks.

« Reply #275 on: May 08, 2013, 01:04:13 PM »
 Stony Brook has got to be in the mix of quality locals to play/ or not play.  They had a real good team last year.

Poison

« Reply #276 on: May 08, 2013, 02:13:51 PM »
Stony Brook has got to be in the mix of quality locals to play/ or not play.  They had a real good team last year.

They should be.

« Reply #277 on: May 11, 2013, 06:21:17 PM »

The training wheels have to come off early with this team. This is the season Lavin needs to make that big jump into to the top 25. We need to be challenged. Playing teams that have no chance at beating us is a waste of time, and we don't improve as a team by doing it. Last couple of years, I understand it. We were young. Not anymore.

The new BE is plenty strong enough to carry us even with a few cough-ups in conference. This is a 5-7 bid league. If Providence or SJ can make the jump they should with their talent, we can get 8 bids. I think you are overlooking the difficulty of our conference. Let's be real...we weren't going to seriously compete with Cuse and L'Ville in our old league anyway they were just too top heavy every year always some of the best talent. I'd rather play great but still beatable teams like Nova, G'Town, Marquette. Getting Cuse/L'Ville out of the conference is like taking the Patriots out of the AFC East. Just like it would help the Jets, the new BE will help us. It was so strong that even a portion of the old BE is still among the best. The key to this league going from good to arguably the best is Providence and St. John's stepping up for once.

Moose

« Reply #278 on: May 11, 2013, 06:23:13 PM »

The new BE is plenty strong enough to carry us even with a few cough-ups in conference. This is a 5-7 bid league. If Providence or SJ can make the jump they should with their talent, we can get 8 bids. I think you are overlooking the difficulty of our conference. Let's be real...we weren't going to seriously compete with Cuse and L'Ville in our old league anyway they were just too top heavy every year always some of the best talent. I'd rather play great but still beatable teams like Nova, G'Town, Marquette. Getting Cuse/L'Ville out of the conference is like taking the Patriots out of the AFC East. Just like it would help the Jets, the new BE will help us. It was so strong that even a portion of the old BE is still among the best. The key to this league going from good to arguably the best is Providence and St. John's stepping up for once.

I love the new conference more than anyone but 7-8 teams out of 10 making tournament?  That's crazy talk.

Poison

« Reply #279 on: May 11, 2013, 06:39:07 PM »

I love the new conference more than anyone but 7-8 teams out of 10 making tournament?  That's crazy talk.

I love the new conference too. No Louisville. No SU. No guaranteed losses.