2013-2014 Schedule

• 909 replies
Re: 2013-2014 Schedule
« Reply #280 on: May 11, 2013, 06:50:30 PM »
We need to stop playing awful programs like Fordham and St.Francis. It's simply not fair to ask people to pay for what should be a slaughter. It's just boring.

I have no problem with St. John's and Fordham playing every year. Keeps the local rivalry alive.

I wasn't being clear. I don't either, but not on the big stage. That makes it pathetic. Fordham has done nothing to earn that opportunity, only they got it anyway. If they want to play us, let it be on campus. And in no manor shape or form should we entertain playing them on a neutral site or on the road until they tow they line. Which isn't happening anytime soon.

Fordham should play Hofstra and Manhattan. Programs that they can aspire to be like. It doesn't make sense to ask people to pay top dollar to watch us play the worst program in the United States.

If we win big, which is likely, what was the point? If by some chance we lose, people have paid to watch the ugliest basketball they've ever seen. Fordham will probably not win more than 10 games next season. It's not a program that can pull the rivalry card. That program doesn't rival anyone's.
we should play as many locals as we can...with ticket prices at the appropriate level.

How do we decide which locals? There are lot to choose from. We always play some. IMO, the locals that it makes sense to play are Iona, LIU & Manhattan. I think we should get something out of the game too. Like competition.

We shouldn't only play teams that have a shot at beating us.   I've said this before, but to me the most important thing in the non-conference games is to see a bunch of different styles.   It's all about preparing for later in the season.   
And part of that is building confidence.   I'm not saying there shouldn't be some degree of difficulty to a few games, but if every game is a challenge that's a recipe for disaster. 
A few challenges (like the Syracuse game) and 1 or two other of that caliber, and mostly cupcakes besides that.    I don't see any reward in playing challenging mid majors.   Play Syracuse or Columbia, no USF or Iona.   

The training wheels have to come off early with this team. This is the season Lavin needs to make that big jump into to the top 25. We need to be challenged. Playing teams that have no chance at beating us is a waste of time, and we don't improve as a team by doing it. Last couple of years, I understand it. We were young. Not anymore.

The BE isn't strong enough on its own to carry us like in years past.

The new BE is plenty strong enough to carry us even with a few cough-ups in conference. This is a 5-7 bid league. If Providence or SJ can make the jump they should with their talent, we can get 8 bids. I think you are overlooking the difficulty of our conference. Let's be real...we weren't going to seriously compete with Cuse and L'Ville in our old league anyway they were just too top heavy every year always some of the best talent. I'd rather play great but still beatable teams like Nova, G'Town, Marquette. Getting Cuse/L'Ville out of the conference is like taking the Patriots out of the AFC East. Just like it would help the Jets, the new BE will help us. It was so strong that even a portion of the old BE is still among the best. The key to this league going from good to arguably the best is Providence and St. John's stepping up for once.

I love the new conference more than anyone but 7-8 teams out of 10 making tournament?  That's crazy talk.

Not when you break it down. 1. Nova 2. Marquette 3. G'Town 4. Creighton 5. Butler 6. SJ 7. Xavier/PC...those are all good teams that can absolutely make the tourney next year. Remember, not only does getting rid of SU and L'Ville help us, it also strengthens the other teams like Marquette and G'Town that much more. IMO the new Big East being a 7 bid league is much more likely than us being the #9 team in the nation as some agreed with before.

Moose

« Reply #281 on: May 11, 2013, 06:52:46 PM »
We need to stop playing awful programs like Fordham and St.Francis. It's simply not fair to ask people to pay for what should be a slaughter. It's just boring.

I have no problem with St. John's and Fordham playing every year. Keeps the local rivalry alive.

I wasn't being clear. I don't either, but not on the big stage. That makes it pathetic. Fordham has done nothing to earn that opportunity, only they got it anyway. If they want to play us, let it be on campus. And in no manor shape or form should we entertain playing them on a neutral site or on the road until they tow they line. Which isn't happening anytime soon.

Fordham should play Hofstra and Manhattan. Programs that they can aspire to be like. It doesn't make sense to ask people to pay top dollar to watch us play the worst program in the United States.

If we win big, which is likely, what was the point? If by some chance we lose, people have paid to watch the ugliest basketball they've ever seen. Fordham will probably not win more than 10 games next season. It's not a program that can pull the rivalry card. That program doesn't rival anyone's.
we should play as many locals as we can...with ticket prices at the appropriate level.

How do we decide which locals? There are lot to choose from. We always play some. IMO, the locals that it makes sense to play are Iona, LIU & Manhattan. I think we should get something out of the game too. Like competition.

We shouldn't only play teams that have a shot at beating us.   I've said this before, but to me the most important thing in the non-conference games is to see a bunch of different styles.   It's all about preparing for later in the season.   
And part of that is building confidence.   I'm not saying there shouldn't be some degree of difficulty to a few games, but if every game is a challenge that's a recipe for disaster. 
A few challenges (like the Syracuse game) and 1 or two other of that caliber, and mostly cupcakes besides that.    I don't see any reward in playing challenging mid majors.   Play Syracuse or Columbia, no USF or Iona.   

The training wheels have to come off early with this team. This is the season Lavin needs to make that big jump into to the top 25. We need to be challenged. Playing teams that have no chance at beating us is a waste of time, and we don't improve as a team by doing it. Last couple of years, I understand it. We were young. Not anymore.

The new BE is plenty strong enough to carry us even with a few cough-ups in conference. This is a 5-7 bid league. If Providence or SJ can make the jump they should with their talent, we can get 8 bids. I think you are overlooking the difficulty of our conference. Let's be real...we weren't going to seriously compete with Cuse and L'Ville in our old league anyway they were just too top heavy every year always some of the best talent. I'd rather play great but still beatable teams like Nova, G'Town, Marquette. Getting Cuse/L'Ville out of the conference is like taking the Patriots out of the AFC East. Just like it would help the Jets, the new BE will help us. It was so strong that even a portion of the old BE is still among the best. The key to this league going from good to arguably the best is Providence and St. John's stepping up for once.

I love the new conference more than anyone but 7-8 teams out of 10 making tournament?  That's crazy talk.

Not when you break it down. 1. Nova 2. Marquette 3. G'Town 4. Creighton 5. Butler 6. SJ 7. Xavier/PC...those are all good teams that can absolutely make the tourney next year. Remember, not only does getting rid of SU and L'Ville help us, it also strengthens the other teams like Marquette and G'Town that much more. IMO the new Big East being a 7 bid league is much more likely than us being the #9 team in the nation as some agreed with before.

Regardless of how many teams you 'think' can make the tournament they are going to beat eachother up.  70% to 80% of a conference is NOT making the NCAA tournament.  Someone I'm sure can come up with the biggest % of teams that made a tournament, but I'm willing to bet it was never close to 70 or 80%
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #282 on: May 11, 2013, 06:57:42 PM »

Regardless of how many teams you 'think' can make the tournament they are going to beat eachother up.  70% to 80% of a conference is NOT making the NCAA tournament.  Someone I'm sure can come up with the biggest % of teams that made a tournament, but I'm willing to bet it was never close to 70 or 80%
not to mention in a 10 team conference you arent going to have 8 teams with a winning conference record

« Reply #283 on: May 11, 2013, 07:39:37 PM »

not to mention in a 10 team conference you arent going to have 8 teams with a winning conference record

Exactly. There is no way the 7th placed team is gonna have a winning BE record. And that's what it will take to make it out of this league, at least in its first year.

And moose I think we have the record with 11/16. What's that like 71% or something?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #284 on: May 11, 2013, 07:45:28 PM »

Exactly. There is no way the 7th placed team is gonna have a winning BE record. And that's what it will take to make it out of this league, at least in its first year.

And moose I think we have the record with 11/16. What's that like 71% or something?

I figured it was the big Big East with whatever the highest number was but also as you point out its skewed with 6 more teams.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #285 on: May 11, 2013, 11:19:51 PM »
When I said 8 bids obviously it would be a stretch, and was really intended to be only if the stars align. But I don't think anyone can deny this is easily a 5 bid league each year. 4 seem to be near locks Nova, G'Town, Marquette, Creighton. Then there will definitely be 1 team out of the SJ/PC/Xavier/Butler group to be the 5th team. Like I said, SJ and PC are the key to this new conference if the Big East wants to get into 6+ bid territory again. 5 bids in a 10 team conference means 50% of the league goes to the NCAA's...that's a damn good ratio.

The ACC is way too top heavy and the teams below L'Ville, Duke, UNC, Cuse, Pitt, etc. are screwed. They have no chance. At least our conference is very good but also very deep. There are honestly only 2 truly weak teams in our conference and 1 of those 2 currently weak teams (SH) was just ranked 2 years ago. DePaul is still dangerous.

« Reply #286 on: May 12, 2013, 08:00:29 AM »
When I said 8 bids obviously it would be a stretch, and was really intended to be only if the stars align. But I don't think anyone can deny this is easily a 5 bid league each year. 4 seem to be near locks Nova, G'Town, Marquette, Creighton. Then there will definitely be 1 team out of the SJ/PC/Xavier/Butler group to be the 5th team. Like I said, SJ and PC are the key to this new conference if the Big East wants to get into 6+ bid territory again. 5 bids in a 10 team conference means 50% of the league goes to the NCAA's...that's a damn good ratio.

The ACC is way too top heavy and the teams below L'Ville, Duke, UNC, Cuse, Pitt, etc. are screwed. They have no chance. At least our conference is very good but also very deep. There are honestly only 2 truly weak teams in our conference and 1 of those 2 currently weak teams (SH) was just ranked 2 years ago. DePaul is still dangerous.
Disagree on Nova as a lock. After arch and pinkston, that's not a terribly talented team. And they are very undersized. Bottom half team

« Reply #287 on: May 12, 2013, 05:01:18 PM »

Disagree on Nova as a lock. After arch and pinkston, that's not a terribly talented team. And they are very undersized. Bottom half team

I believe they have made the tourney 80% of the time in the past decade. As sure of a lock as possible if you ask me. They are too well-coached not to make it IMO. They are among the most consistent teams in the conference...very rarely in the past 10 yrs or so have they truly been bad or mediocre. They're usually damn good. They also seem to have great scouts who bring in players that always seem to work out for them.

« Reply #288 on: May 12, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »

I believe they have made the tourney 80% of the time in the past decade. As sure of a lock as possible if you ask me. They are too well-coached not to make it IMO. They are among the most consistent teams in the conference...very rarely in the past 10 yrs or so have they truly been bad or mediocre. They're usually damn good. They also seem to have great scouts who bring in players that always seem to work out for them.

Both their coaching and talent are middle of conference next year. Bubble team given their lack of size.

Poison

« Reply #289 on: May 12, 2013, 08:26:20 PM »

Both their coaching and talent are middle of conference next year. Bubble team given their lack of size.

Always thought Jay Wright was a very good coach. What am I missing?

« Reply #290 on: May 12, 2013, 09:13:58 PM »

Nothing. He's lower on the list than buzz or Stevens but higher than lavin willard Purnell. Good not great. Just like the current roster.

« Reply #291 on: May 12, 2013, 10:12:29 PM »

Nothing. He's lower on the list than buzz or Stevens but higher than lavin willard Purnell. Good not great. Just like the current roster.

I think I'd take him 3rd. Over JT3
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #292 on: May 12, 2013, 10:14:39 PM »

Do you think he's as good as Lou Carnesecca?

« Reply #293 on: May 12, 2013, 10:19:43 PM »
I am for playing Fordham, can't stand Pecora and I know the STJ staff does not like him either, love beating up on him.  But we should not be playing them at MSG.  They are a campus game or maybe at Barclays as their home game but no way should that be a home season ticket game at msg.

« Reply #294 on: May 12, 2013, 10:34:03 PM »

He's a pretty good modern day comp for Looie. Similar.

I'd take our roster and staff (together) over theirs right now. And I think we are somewhere in the middle of the conference next year too
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 10:35:23 PM by Gray Chudney »

Poison

« Reply #295 on: May 12, 2013, 10:41:09 PM »

He's a pretty good modern day comp for Looie. Similar.

I'd take our roster and staff (together) over theirs right now. And I think we are somewhere in the middle of the conference next year too

I hope you're right.

« Reply #296 on: May 13, 2013, 03:31:51 AM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

I think this is a very early projected bracket for next year from about a month ago. We got Jordan by the time this came out right? Well we aren't in the NCAA tourney according to Lunardi. That would have to be an awful year to not make the tourney with what many consider the deepest most talented team in the conference roster wise.

Only 4 Big East teams mentioned: Nova, G'Town, Marquette, Creighton.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 03:34:45 AM by RedStormyNight »

« Reply #297 on: May 13, 2013, 07:25:42 AM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

I think this is a very early projected bracket for next year from about a month ago. We got Jordan by the time this came out right? Well we aren't in the NCAA tourney according to Lunardi. That would have to be an awful year to not make the tourney with what many consider the deepest most talented team in the conference roster wise.

Only 4 Big East teams mentioned: Nova, G'Town, Marquette, Creighton.
Lunardi has Nova as an 11 seed. Like I said, bubble team, not a lock

Marillac

« Reply #298 on: May 13, 2013, 10:52:27 AM »

They were on the right side of the bubble this year with their leading scorers being a soph, a frosh, and a soph, respectively.  They return six out of seven of their top scorers (four starters).  Pinkston is a beast a 6'7 260 and Ochefu will be a 6'11 245 soph that saw almost 20 mpg. James Bell is a 6'6 225 senior for them and Hillard is 6'6 as well as a g/f.  According to Rivals, they have to PF commits (one ranked #74).  They also get the transfer Ennis eligible after sitting out the past season. 

I really don't see how this team would not be a lock...I could see them making a run at a top 20 ranking.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 10:57:19 AM by Marillac »

« Reply #299 on: May 13, 2013, 11:34:03 AM »

They were on the right side of the bubble this year with their leading scorers being a soph, a frosh, and a soph, respectively.  They return six out of seven of their top scorers (four starters).  Pinkston is a beast a 6'7 260 and Ochefu will be a 6'11 245 soph that saw almost 20 mpg. James Bell is a 6'6 225 senior for them and Hillard is 6'6 as well as a g/f.  According to Rivals, they have to PF commits (one ranked #74).  They also get the transfer Ennis eligible after sitting out the past season. 

I really don't see how this team would not be a lock...I could see them making a run at a top 20 ranking.

Agreed. For the past decade I've come to learn that if there is any team worth betting on in the Big East it's Nova. Arc is only going to get better and they return most of their key players plus they add a few top 100 recruits. Wright is a great coach, and the team knows how to evaluate talent so their recruits pan out when they get there. The team plays with great chemistry. They should be a lock and I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see them in the 20's.