2013-2014 Schedule

• 909 replies

MCNPA

Re: 2013-2014 Schedule
« Reply #440 on: June 13, 2013, 05:11:59 PM »
Fri.  9/27 Midnight Madness
Tu.  11/5 Humboldt State (Exhibition) (Carnesecca)
Fri.  11/8 Wisconsin (Sioux Falls, South Dakota)
Tu.  11/19  Bucknell (Carnesecca)
Fri.  11/29 Penn State (Barclays)
Sat. 11/30 Ole Miss/Georgia Tech (Barclays)
Sat. 12/7 Fordham (MSG)
Sat. 12/14 Syracuse (MSG)
Sat. 12/28 Columbia (Barclays)
TBA: Monmouth (Carnesecca), Longwood (Carnesecca), San Francisco (Carnesecca)
Big East
Home: Depaul, Creighton, Seton Hall, Xavier, Butler, Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, Providence
Road:  Depaul, Creighton, Seton Hall, Xavier, Butler, Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, Providence

Schedule looks weak. Dont like it.
No reason to play both Columbia and Fordham in the same season. One of those games should have been against Kentucky, Duke, Indiana...

And why the hell is Bucknell on the schedule?!  Seems a complete waste of a game for such a talented experienced team.

It doesn't matter all too much.  Just win the games.

« Reply #441 on: June 13, 2013, 05:19:20 PM »
Fri.  9/27 Midnight Madness
Tu.  11/5 Humboldt State (Exhibition) (Carnesecca)
Fri.  11/8 Wisconsin (Sioux Falls, South Dakota)
Tu.  11/19  Bucknell (Carnesecca)
Fri.  11/29 Penn State (Barclays)
Sat. 11/30 Ole Miss/Georgia Tech (Barclays)
Sat. 12/7 Fordham (MSG)
Sat. 12/14 Syracuse (MSG)
Sat. 12/28 Columbia (Barclays)
TBA: Monmouth (Carnesecca), Longwood (Carnesecca), San Francisco (Carnesecca)
Big East
Home: Depaul, Creighton, Seton Hall, Xavier, Butler, Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, Providence
Road:  Depaul, Creighton, Seton Hall, Xavier, Butler, Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, Providence

Schedule looks weak. Dont like it.
No reason to play both Columbia and Fordham in the same season. One of those games should have been against Kentucky, Duke, Indiana...

And why the hell is Bucknell on the schedule?!  Seems a complete waste of a game for such a talented experienced team.

Every team plays cupcakes.  In 2011 we had one of the 15 strongest nonconference schedules for a power conference team and it included games against Columbia, Drake, Ball State, Wagner, Fordham, St. Bonaventure and Davidson.  Last year Duke had the #1 nonconference schedule and that included games against Elon, Delaware, Cornell and Georgia State.

desco80

« Reply #442 on: June 13, 2013, 07:30:19 PM »
I think people aren't giving Wisconsin their due...

We have two very difficult non-conference games that we'll probably be underdogs in, that's enough for me.   
If we play well in-conference we'll make the tournament and have a solid seed.    And that's how it should be.  Don't kill yourself with tough opponents early, but don't leave yourself unprepared either. 

I've said it before - but I think the most important aspect of the nonconference schedule is to make sure you see a variety of playing-styles.   

« Reply #443 on: June 17, 2013, 07:51:41 PM »
There's up to two more games to come as well. 

« Reply #444 on: June 20, 2013, 01:28:30 AM »
Wisconsin should be taken very seriously.  Bo Ryan's teams play smart and tough.  Excellent D and very deliberate on offense.  The Badgers will expect to win that game so we better come out of the gate strong and run them into the ground.

I like the Bucknell game, over 100 years since we've played them I hear.  Their coach, Dave Paulson, had been in the mix for the Northwestern job.  He has worked his way up through the system and won everywhere.

I was hoping we'd play in that Charleston Classic again.  If I remember correctly Rick Barry's son will be playing for the College of Charleston and he shoots his freethrows underhand.  That would be fun to watch.  I imagine we'd win a game or 2 more next year if we had Chris O shooting 80% from the line underhand!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:30:10 AM by Lapchick65 »

Moose

« Reply #445 on: June 20, 2013, 02:16:35 AM »
Wisconsin should be taken very seriously.  Bo Ryan's teams play smart and tough.  Excellent D and very deliberate on offense.  The Badgers will expect to win that game so we better come out of the gate strong and run them into the ground.

I like the Bucknell game, over 100 years since we've played them I hear.  Their coach, Dave Paulson, had been in the mix for the Northwestern job.  He has worked his way up through the system and won everywhere.

I was hoping we'd play in that Charleston Classic again.  If I remember correctly Rick Barry's son will be playing for the College of Charleston and he shoots his freethrows underhand.  That would be fun to watch.  I imagine we'd win a game or 2 more next year if we had Chris O shooting 80% from the line underhand!

You rarely if ever see teams play in same tournament 2 yrs in a row
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #446 on: June 20, 2013, 10:29:56 AM »

Not only is it rare, but it's illegal.  No Division 1 team can play in the same exempt tournament more than once every 4 years.  That rule came in about 7 or 8 years ago (replacing a short-lived rule that stated a team could play in no more than 2 exempt tournaments of any kind every 4 years).

In fact, Lapchick65, College of Charleston is not even in the Charleston Classic this year.  They were in it last year, and before that in 2008.  Expect to see them in that tournament again in 2016.

« Reply #447 on: June 20, 2013, 10:35:07 AM »

Not only is it rare, but it's illegal.  No Division 1 team can play in the same exempt tournament more than once every 4 years.  That rule came in about 7 or 8 years ago (replacing a short-lived rule that stated a team could play in no more than 2 exempt tournaments of any kind every 4 years).

In fact, Lapchick65, College of Charleston is not even in the Charleston Classic this year.  They were in it last year, and before that in 2008.  Expect to see them in that tournament again in 2016.

That's exactly right.

That is why SJU is not in the preseason NIT every year or why Duke is not in Maui every year even though they are like 5 time champ.   By rule they can't be.

desco80

« Reply #448 on: June 20, 2013, 10:36:22 AM »

How much does the program's budget have to do with what preseason tournament we enter?
I'm just thinking since the team is going to Europe this summer, the cost of travel & arrangements to Maui or Alaska might not be feasible.   Maybe that's why we're playing in Brooklyn?    I could be reading too much into that, but it seems plausible.

paultzman

« Reply #449 on: June 20, 2013, 12:29:17 PM »
“@QSTJHoops: The new Big East has to help itself to remain elite in 2013-14 #stjbb #pcbb #dpubb #vuhoops http://sbn.to/11AXTRO

Moose

« Reply #450 on: June 20, 2013, 12:38:43 PM »

But then Chaminade plays in Maui every year which was the exception I was hinting at.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #451 on: June 20, 2013, 12:41:01 PM »
“@QSTJHoops: The new Big East has to help itself to remain elite in 2013-14 #stjbb #pcbb #dpubb #vuhoops http://sbn.to/11AXTRO

I understand the writer's concerns, but to me, it has to be 5 years before we can accuartly judge where this league is/where it will be going.  3 years minimum. 

IMO, Other then the really low-majors, Any league can have an "up" or a "down" year re: NCAA bids, so to judge it all on next year (either way) would be a farce, IMO (heck, the Providence Civc Center was only about half-full for the first Big East Tournament, and that league obiviously did not fail - not till much, much later anyway).  Whatever number the league ends up with, we need to be sending about half to the tournament on average, IMO.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:42:05 PM by sju61982 »

« Reply #452 on: June 20, 2013, 12:42:52 PM »

But then Chaminade plays in Maui every year which was the exception I was hinting at.

Yes.  I believe, since Chaminade and Alaska-Anchorage are not D-1, the rule does not apply to them.

« Reply #453 on: June 20, 2013, 05:28:31 PM »
That is correct.  So they are not really exceptions to the rule since the rule only applies to D1 schools.

« Reply #454 on: June 20, 2013, 07:12:36 PM »
[quothe author=sju61982 link=topic=7792.msg166900#msg166900 date=1371746572]

Yes.  I believe, since Chaminade and Alaska-Anchorage are not D-1, the rule does not apply to them.
[/quote]

Yes that is correct.

Maui is going to be interesting.  That is arguably the premiere exempt preseason tourney.

Their formula was invite 1 team from each of the 6 BCS conferences, then 1 good mid major(Gonzaga as an example or Butler last year) and Chaminade.

Now the question is who is the 6th BCS conference.  Next year you have Cal, Syracuse, Baylor, Minnesota, Vandy.  No BE or AAC.  Dayton and Gonzaga are the other 2 along with Chaminade.

uwsfan

« Reply #455 on: June 22, 2013, 12:26:55 PM »
There's up to two more games to come as well.

One should be against Kentucky or Michigan.

« Reply #456 on: June 23, 2013, 03:59:53 PM »
Or the Knicks.

TONYD3

« Reply #457 on: June 23, 2013, 04:52:57 PM »
I would like to play Michigan in the garden. They would bring plenty of fans. That's what we are going to need to stay relevant. A rocking garden is awesome. Not going to get there vs Marquette

Poison

« Reply #458 on: June 23, 2013, 05:52:58 PM »
I would like to play Michigan in the garden. They would bring plenty of fans. That's what we are going to need to stay relevant. A rocking garden is awesome. Not going to get there vs Marquette

That's a good idea. They do have a great fan base. We could learn a lot from a Big Ten school.

« Reply #459 on: June 23, 2013, 08:46:37 PM »
we use to play Michigan in the early 90's.  We beat them there, i remember james scott had a big game.  They beat us at the nassau coliseum.