2013-2014 Schedule

• 909 replies

paultzman

Re: 2013-2014 Schedule
« Reply #480 on: June 25, 2013, 11:35:37 AM »
Off topic, but anyone?

“@FinkelsteinNERR: 2014 Big East recruiting - who they have & who they want http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=9420472&src=desktop

Moose

« Reply #481 on: June 25, 2013, 11:36:40 AM »
Off topic, but anyone?

“@FinkelsteinNERR: 2014 Big East recruiting - who they have & who they want http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=9420472&src=desktop

St. John's Red Storm

Who they have: No 2014 recruits so far.

Who they want: With a roster full of rising sophomores and juniors, Steve Lavin's 2014 recruiting strategy is likely to be very similar to his 2013 plan, when he seized the opportunity to be selective and invested all of his time with a select few prospects until he landed a commitment from a player capable of making an immediate impact as a freshman, point guard Rysheed Jordan. The Red Storm are one of 10 teams still in the hunt for elite point guard Emmanuel Mudiay and are uniquely positioned to go the distance since Mudiay has already said he wants to wait until after his senior season to make his decision. Other backcourt options are local New York ESPN 100 talents like Isaiah Whitehead and Terry Larrier.

Storyline to watch: With late commitments from Jordan, Chris Obekpa, and Jakarr Sampson in recent years, there hasn't been a better 11th-hour recruiter in college basketball than Steve Lavin. A commitment from Mudiay, however, would be by far his best score since arriving in New York.

Bold prediction: At this point, it's bold to expect Lavin to come up empty-handed when the recruiting music stops playing, so this might be the dullest bold prediction ever. But don't bet against St. John's landing another four- or five-star prospect in 2014.

Overall recruiting trend: Up. Lavin is back and healthy on the sidelines, has a young, dynamic roster that is all of his making, and has hit all of his recruiting objectives in each of his three seasons since taking over.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #482 on: June 25, 2013, 11:49:59 AM »
Thx Moose.

jr49

« Reply #483 on: June 25, 2013, 12:57:07 PM »
Off topic, but anyone?

St. John's Red Storm

Who they want: With a roster full of rising sophomores and juniors, Steve Lavin's 2014 recruiting strategy is likely to be very similar to his 2013 plan, when he seized the opportunity to be selective and invested all of his time with a select few prospects until he landed a commitment from a player capable of making an immediate impact as a freshman, point guard Rysheed Jordan. The Red Storm are one of 10 teams still in the hunt for elite point guard Emmanuel Mudiay and are uniquely positioned to go the distance since Mudiay has already said he wants to wait until after his senior season to make his decision. Other backcourt options are local New York ESPN 100 talents like Isaiah Whitehead and Terry Larrier.

Storyline to watch: With late commitments from Jordan, Chris Obekpa, and Jakarr Sampson in recent years, there hasn't been a better 11th-hour recruiter in college basketball than Steve Lavin. A commitment from Mudiay, however, would be by far his best score since arriving in New York.

Bold prediction: At this point, it's bold to expect Lavin to come up empty-handed when the recruiting music stops playing, so this might be the dullest bold prediction ever. But don't bet against St. John's landing another four- or five-star prospect in 2014.

Overall recruiting trend: Up. Lavin is back and healthy on the sidelines, has a young, dynamic roster that is all of his making, and has hit all of his recruiting objectives in each of his three seasons since taking over.
Hard to get everything, and I'm happy with talent Coach has put together. What is missing is a center with O game and a forward who bangs and gets you 8-10 boards. Sanchez might make up for some of that in way Pointer has with all around game.

Poison

« Reply #484 on: June 26, 2013, 11:09:56 AM »
Off topic, but anyone?

St. John's Red Storm

Hard to get everything, and I'm happy with talent Coach has put together. What is missing is a center with O game and a forward who bangs and gets you 8-10 boards. Sanchez might make up for some of that in way Pointer has with all around game.

Regarding our center, wouldn't we be happier w Obekpa playing great defense, and only worrying about dunks, put packs and passing and on offense? I think if he
takes the step defensively, he could be the best defensive center in the country.

I'm hoping for 4.5 points, 10 rebounds and 5/6 blocks per game. He does that, and offenses will think twice before going anywhere near him.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:11:28 AM by Poison »

derk

« Reply #485 on: June 26, 2013, 11:49:56 AM »
Off topic, but anyone?

St. John's Red Storm

Regarding our center, wouldn't we be happier w Obekpa playing great defense, and only worrying about dunks, put packs and passing and on offense? I think if he
takes the step defensively, he could be the best defensive center in the country.

I'm hoping for 4.5 points, 10 rebounds and 5/6 blocks per game. He does that, and offenses will think twice before going anywhere near him.

That would be a very nice year for him along with improved free throw shooting so they don't play Hack a Shaq with him.

Poison

« Reply #486 on: June 26, 2013, 11:55:47 AM »
Off topic, but anyone?

St. John's Red Storm

That would be a very nice year for him along with improved free throw shooting so they don't play Hack a Shaq with him.

I think his free throws improved during the course of the season. They can improve more, though.

« Reply #487 on: June 26, 2013, 12:54:06 PM »
Off topic, but anyone?

St. John's Red Storm

That's some high hopes. I think he'll be a really good rebounder this year but I don't think he'll get enough minutes to come close to averaging 10 boards let alone 5/6 blocks a game.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #488 on: June 26, 2013, 01:20:02 PM »
Off topic, but anyone?

St. John's Red Storm

That's some high hopes. I think he'll be a really good rebounder this year but I don't think he'll get enough minutes to come close to averaging 10 boards let alone 5/6 blocks a game.

I agree Mase.   His rebounding Definately improved as the year went on, and Im sure he'll be even better.  But he won't get enough minutes. 
Plus, his defense and his shot blocking are two different skills.   On the ball, low post defense, was a weakness for him. 

« Reply #489 on: June 26, 2013, 03:35:36 PM »
Off topic, but anyone?

St. John's Red Storm

Even if he did get the minutes, I don't think other teams will give him the satisfaction of 6 blocks a night.

LJSA

« Reply #490 on: June 26, 2013, 04:00:38 PM »
But they loved giving him 4 bpg?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:03:32 PM by LJSA »

MCNPA

« Reply #491 on: June 26, 2013, 04:14:02 PM »

It's not their choice, now is it??   ;)

LJSA

« Reply #492 on: June 26, 2013, 04:21:39 PM »

It's not their choice, now is it??   ;)

I think his numbers go down with Sanchez on board, but it wouldn't shock me at all to see him challenge the single season average his junior year.

« Reply #493 on: June 26, 2013, 05:46:16 PM »
Just noticed they're not selling upper level tickets to our Barclay's Center games.  Thank God.

paultzman

« Reply #494 on: June 27, 2013, 01:56:53 PM »
“@AdamZagoria: Sampson, Obekpa Poised to Lead Johnnies on Upswing http://zagsblog.com/articles/sampson-obekpa-poised-to-lead-johnnies-on-upswing/ #stjbb”

« Reply #495 on: June 27, 2013, 02:33:54 PM »
Updated to include the Xavier New Years game.

Fri.  9/27 Midnight Madness
Tu.  11/5 Humboldt State (Exhibition) (Carnesecca)
Fri.  11/8 Wisconsin (Sioux Falls, South Dakota)
Tu.  11/19  Bucknell (Carnesecca)
Fri.  11/29 Penn State (Barclays)
Sat. 11/30 Ole Miss/Georgia Tech (Barclays)
Sat. 12/7 Fordham (MSG)
Sat. 12/14 Syracuse (MSG)
Sat. 12/28 Columbia (Barclays)
Tu.  12/31 @Xavier
TBA: Monmouth (Carnesecca), Longwood (Carnesecca), San Francisco (Carnesecca)
Big East
Home: Depaul, Creighton, Seton Hall, Xavier, Butler, Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, Providence
Road:  Depaul, Creighton, Seton Hall, Butler, Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, Providence

« Reply #496 on: June 27, 2013, 04:03:26 PM »
Sampson and Obekpa talk to Zags about the upcoming season and their game.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/sampson-obekpa-poised-to-lead-johnnies-on-upswing/#more-98770

paultzman

« Reply #497 on: July 15, 2013, 02:06:48 PM »
Fratto;
“@StJohnsBBall: YES! RT @gionysports: @SJUCoachLavin Is the whole team working out on campus getting ready for the Europe trip? #stjbb #sjubb”

paultzman

« Reply #498 on: July 16, 2013, 03:09:25 PM »
Hope so!
“@philgreene31: People not gone believe how good I'm going to be next season #STJBB”

« Reply #499 on: July 16, 2013, 03:10:55 PM »
I'm not up to date on this. Is our schedule complete for next year?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.