2013-2014 Schedule

• 909 replies

Moose

Re: 2013-2014 Schedule
« Reply #540 on: July 24, 2013, 10:28:12 PM »
“@SJUCoachLavin: Barclays Tournament guarantees #stjbb  2 opponents from power conferences. We schedule the 2 other opponents: This year Cuse and Wisconsin.”

“@SJUCoachLavin: Good to have the Johnnies non conf schedule being bantered about by high profile expert pundits. Another indication #stjbb making strides.”

I honestly think it looks amateurish to have our coach indirectly responding on twitter like this.

Disagree. I thought it was great. He's doing it in a beyond professional manner. Gotta stick up for the team!

I don't mind coach responding. He thinks young, and Twitter fits him. Lotta kids see his posts. They are relevant. As we do better on the court, they'll be more relevant.

I agree. It's a new age.

Do other coaches respond to pundits like that?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #541 on: July 24, 2013, 10:32:08 PM »
Lav was a pundit hisself fo 5+ year so he know the game.
And its all in the game.

Pangos Pangos
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

redslope

« Reply #542 on: July 24, 2013, 10:51:07 PM »
noticed a lot of concern about lack of travel but there is some interesting travel in this schedule.  The Wisconsin game in Souix Falls is almost equivalent to a San Fran game as NO non stop flight.  They will probably have to change in Minn and when you add on the the wait time, you have non stop to SF.  Then there is conference travel which includes Omaha, Milwaukee, Chicago, et. al.  That is enough.

« Reply #543 on: July 24, 2013, 11:12:49 PM »
“@SJUCoachLavin: Barclays Tournament guarantees #stjbb  2 opponents from power conferences. We schedule the 2 other opponents: This year Cuse and Wisconsin.”

“@SJUCoachLavin: Good to have the Johnnies non conf schedule being bantered about by high profile expert pundits. Another indication #stjbb making strides.”

I honestly think it looks amateurish to have our coach indirectly responding on twitter like this.

Disagree. I thought it was great. He's doing it in a beyond professional manner. Gotta stick up for the team!

I don't mind coach responding. He thinks young, and Twitter fits him. Lotta kids see his posts. They are relevant. As we do better on the court, they'll be more relevant.

I agree. It's a new age.

Who cares? He doesn't have to base what he does off of what other coaches do. Also, I think he might be feel like he can do this stuff because he worked with some of those guys for 10 years.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 11:13:52 PM by Mparty7441 »

Moose

« Reply #544 on: July 24, 2013, 11:14:14 PM »

I agree. It's a new age.

Who cares?

Thanks for your reply.  Much appreciated.  Guess conversation is off the table here.

paultzman

« Reply #545 on: July 25, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
Fratto touch quite apparent;

“@DalyDoseOfHoops: Breaking down the @StJohnsBBall nonconference schedule with an overall thought from @SJUCoachLavin... http://dalydoseofhoops.blogspot.com/2013/07/breaking-down-st-johns-nonconference.html #sjubb #stjbb”

« Reply #546 on: July 25, 2013, 07:09:26 PM »

I agree. It's a new age.

Who cares?

Thanks for your reply.  Much appreciated.  Guess conversation is off the table here.

Haha. I actually wrote who cares? and edited it immediately. You must have looked at my post the 5 seconds in between i submitted it and edited it.

desco80

« Reply #547 on: July 25, 2013, 08:10:53 PM »

I agree. It's a new age.

I can't remember ever seeing that before.  And I agree, on first glance it seems beneath a coach to respond to a commentator on twitter.

It could become a good thing though if we get on a role.   If we're winning and the topic du jour for cbb analysts is "well, St Johns has talent, and they've beaten the teams they should beat, .. but have they really been challenged ??"  If that's what Bilas and co. are talking about all season, and if Joe Lunardi is saying we're only a 3 seed because we have a 'cupcake' schedule; then in that case I'm glad coach defended the schedule and sparked a conversation.   

But obviously I don't know that's how things are going to play out  8)

« Reply #548 on: July 25, 2013, 08:23:35 PM »
take care of business against the mid-low majors, and beat wisconsin and/or cuse and this will be a complete afterthought. 

« Reply #549 on: July 26, 2013, 12:43:26 AM »

“@DalyDoseOfHoops: Breaking down the @StJohnsBBall nonconference schedule with an overall thought from @SJUCoachLavin... http://dalydoseofhoops.blogspot.com/2013/07/breaking-down-st-johns-nonconference.html #sjubb #stjbb”
Love the assertion in the Dartmouth game that one of their players will have SJU recalling the deft shooting touch of Tomas Jasciulonas. Think maybe the guy meant his deaf shooting touch.  ::)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:46:08 AM by Celtics11 »

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #550 on: July 26, 2013, 06:21:27 AM »

Love the assertion in the Dartmouth game that one of their players will have SJU recalling the deft shooting touch of Tomas Jasciulonas. Think maybe the guy meant his deaf shooting touch.  ::)

;D

desco80

« Reply #551 on: July 26, 2013, 09:52:02 AM »
Not everyone will care about this, but I realized the Syracuse game is probably going to be at the same time as the Giants home game against Seattle on Dec 15th.  1pm.   Which should have a lot of playoff implications. 

Some of us are going to have to make a tough call on where to be that day.   Unless the SJU game is at night, but I think somebody said the rangers play that night.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:52:44 AM by desco80 »

Moose

« Reply #552 on: July 26, 2013, 09:56:09 AM »
Not everyone will care about this, but I realized the Syracuse game is probably going to be at the same time as the Giants home game against Seattle on Dec 15th.  1pm.   Which should have a lot of playoff implications. 

Some of us are going to have to make a tough call on where to be that day.   Unless the SJU game is at night, but I think somebody said the rangers play that night.

Playing Seattle though.  That game will probably be flexed to at least a 4pm start for those Seattle fans 3 hours behind.

desco80

« Reply #553 on: July 26, 2013, 10:14:20 AM »

Playing Seattle though.  That game will probably be flexed to at least a 4pm start for those Seattle fans 3 hours behind.

Excellent point.   If seattle is as good as people expect, it could probably end up being the Sunday night NBC game too, right?   I don't know what kind of restrictions nbc has is flexing games, but I think they can do it up to 2 weeks before.

Moose

« Reply #554 on: July 26, 2013, 10:29:14 AM »

Excellent point.   If seattle is as good as people expect, it could probably end up being the Sunday night NBC game too, right?   I don't know what kind of restrictions nbc has is flexing games, but I think they can do it up to 2 weeks before.

And they can also change the start time to 4 for CBS in this case.  Long time to see.  But should be a good late season matchup.

« Reply #555 on: July 26, 2013, 12:28:04 PM »
Simple solution: TIVO TIVO TIVO! As for NBC taking game for Sunday night think there also is a rule that CBS and FOX can protect one game per week late in the season but can see game going to 4pm.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:28:44 PM by Celtics11 »

Moose

« Reply #556 on: July 26, 2013, 12:35:32 PM »
Simple solution: TIVO TIVO TIVO! As for NBC taking game for Sunday night think there also is a rule that CBS and FOX can protect one game per week late in the season but can see game going to 4pm.

People still use Tivo?

« Reply #557 on: July 26, 2013, 12:40:49 PM »

People still use Tivo?
Well there is a segment of the population over 40 in this country probably contrary to your ideal society save your parents. :)

Moose

« Reply #558 on: July 26, 2013, 12:42:02 PM »

People still use Tivo?
Well there is a segment of the population over 40 in this country probably contrary to your ideal society save your parents. :)

Well my parents still do call it TIVO when meanwhile its not TIVO and just regular plain old DVR.  Maybe your like them.

« Reply #559 on: July 26, 2013, 12:46:33 PM »

And they can also change the start time to 4 for CBS in this case.  Long time to see.  But should be a good late season matchup.

No they can't.  Only under certain circumstances can the Giants and Jets play at the same time.  But league rules prevent it.  Jets play on CBS at 4 Giants play at 1.

3 years ago Woody Johnson asked the League to play at 1 one Sunday even though Giant game was at 1 as well.  Jewish holiday he wanted to be home by sunset.  League obliged.

Flex is when NBC takes a game and moves it to Sunday night.