2013-2014 Schedule

• 909 replies

paultzman

Re: 2013-2014 Schedule
« Reply #740 on: September 26, 2013, 12:00:08 PM »
“@tsnmike: Six coaches (and one league) with something to prove http://dlvr.it/42RjdQ

"2012-13 finish: 17-16, lost in NIT second round

Lavin’s absence from the Red Storm bench in 2011-12 because of his prostate cancer undoubtedly impacted the momentum he has been trying to build since returning to coaching following nearly a decade in the broadcasting business.

His first SJU team was a smashing success, as was the recruiting class gathered while that 2011 team was earning the school’s first NCAA Tournament appearance in nearly a decade. He left the team in capable hands the following season, with Mike Dunlap calling the plays, but it couldn’t be entirely Lavin’s program during that period. And the most talented player from that squad, freshman Mo Harkless, cut out for the NBA before anybody expected that would be possible.

So now Lavin gets to coach the Red Storm in consecutive seasons for the first time. He gets to do that with six players in the seven-man rotation from the team’s NIT loss in place. The Red Storm will not be dependent on freshmen to enliven the roster, as was the case each of the past two seasons. There is a five-star point guard recruit, Philadelphian Rysheed Jordan; his contributions will be welcome but not essential.

St. John’s also enters a reimagined Big East Conference in which football’s attention, influence and (relative) financial benefits no longer tilt the balance of power toward others.               

For all of this to matter, however, somebody is going to have to make some shots, or Lavin and his assistants will need to X-and-O the players into more dunks and layups. The Red Storm hit 41.5 percent from the field and 27 percent from 3-point range. It’s going to be a challenge."

paultzman

« Reply #741 on: September 26, 2013, 08:08:08 PM »
“@MikeMMcBride: College basketball countdown: No. 32 St. John's http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/09/26/college-basketball-countdown-no-32-st-johns/2875431/ via @USATODAY”

paultzman

« Reply #742 on: September 27, 2013, 12:58:03 PM »
“@QSJUHoops: Today is the first day of practice, but the Storm's Europe trip limits the schedule. #sjubb http://sbn.to/1fNgVxF

« Reply #743 on: September 27, 2013, 03:16:18 PM »
“@QSJUHoops: Today is the first day of practice, but the Storm's Europe trip limits the schedule. #sjubb http://sbn.to/1fNgVxF

That's a bullshit rule. The first time in 4 years we get to get a head start with practices and our "added" practices aren't even "added".
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #744 on: September 28, 2013, 03:38:53 PM »
From today's event;

“@NYPost_Brazille: JaKarr Sampson: "“This is why I came to St. John’s, for a team like this. We have all the pieces.” #sjubb”

“@NYPost_Brazille: Steve Lavin today: "This is a year where we're positioned to do something special." #sjubb”

“@NYPost_Brazille: D'Angelo Harrison: “Our [top] 10 players can probably start on any roster [in the country],” #sjubb”

“@NYPost_Brazille: More Harrison: "“We can have about eight, nine guys in double figures this year. We have two or three guys at every position.” #sjubb”

“@NYPost_Brazille: Clearly, expectations are high for #sjubb. Could have four NBA players on roster in Harrison, Obekpa, Sampson and Jordan.”
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 03:41:02 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #745 on: September 28, 2013, 08:40:20 PM »
Steve Lavin has set the same three goals for his St. John’s basketball team each year: win the Big East regular season title, the conference’s postseason crown and reach the NCAA Tournament.

For the first time, he feels all three are realistically attainable.

“This is a year where we’re positioned to do something special,” Lavin said Saturday at the third annual “Dribble for the Cure,” a benefit for the Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation at St. John’s. “We expect that, too. We probably have even higher expectations than people outside the program because that’s why we all came here. That’s why I came as a head coach. That’s why [junior shooting guard D’Angelo Harrison] came from Houston. That’s why we put together this group.”

Expectations are sky-high for the Queens program, which is looking for its first NCAA Tournament berth since 2011, Lavin’s first season, and first victory since 2000.

This season will be unlike any of Lavin’s previous three. His first year there were no expectations, and his team of seniors made a surprising run to the NCAAs, snapping a nine-year drought. The ensuing season, the team was made up of mostly freshmen and lacked the needed depth to compete in the rugged Big East. Last year, the Johnnies still were young, but reached the NIT and finished with a 16-15 record.

St. John’s has added key pieces in Philadelphia freshman point guard Rysheed Jordan, a five-star recruit ranked among the top high school seniors in the country a year ago; Harvard transfer Max Hooper, a sharpshooter who hit 10 3-pointers in an exhibition game during the team’s trip to Europe over the summer; and versatile big man Orlando Sanchez, who became eligible after the NCAA granted him an age waiver. Furthermore, red-shirt senior God’sgift Achiuwa is active after sitting out last season, and the entire team returns aside from reserve forward Amir Garrett, who transferred to Cal State-Northridge.

“This is why I came to St. John’s, for a team like this,” said sophomore forward JaKarr Sampson, the Big East Rookie of the Year last winter. “We have all the pieces.”

Vastly improved depth — a weakness the past two years, but now a strength — should give Lavin plenty of flexibility, offering him the option to go small or play big, press and trap.

“Our [top] 10 players can probably start on any roster [in the country],” said Harrison, the Johnnies’ leading scorer a year ago who is back after being suspended by Lavin for the team’s final six games last season because of behavioral issues. “Having that depth and being able to just expend your energy on things you need to do because you know somebody just as good is coming in for you, that’s just great to have.”

“We can have about eight, nine guys in double figures this year. We have two or three guys at every position.”
The addition of Jordan should free up experienced guards like Harrison and Phil Greene IV to play off the ball, their forte, rather than initiating the offense. The freshman already has impressed his teammates and the St. John’s coaching staff with his basketball IQ and ability to create opportunities for himself and others.

“He’s as impressive as any player I’ve had at this stage in his career in space,” Lavin said. “If you just kind of space the floor, his ability to break ankles, as they say, get to the paint, the cup or kick, is exceptional.”

http://nypost.com/2013/09/28/lavin-says-st-johns-can-be-special/
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 08:42:34 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #746 on: September 30, 2013, 03:49:27 PM »
“@rumbleSBN: CBS Sports: 2013-14 College Basketball Conference predictions. Who has #sjubb second? Who has them 6th?  http://buff.ly/1bmAJoF

Moose

« Reply #747 on: September 30, 2013, 03:51:37 PM »
“@rumbleSBN: CBS Sports: 2013-14 College Basketball Conference predictions. Who has #sjubb second? Who has them 6th?  http://buff.ly/1bmAJoF

Can't believe I have to like Gottlieb.
Palm is a nice person with his head stuck in his calculations.
Borzello is  1 place from being on my good side.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #748 on: September 30, 2013, 05:11:29 PM »
Everyone has Creighton in their top 3.... except Rothstein.   He's got the Jays way down at #7. 
I think he's closer to the truth than the rest of them.    I'd be surprised if they don't struggle a little.

And fwiw, I would have Georgetown #1.    But maybe that's why I dont get paid to predict college basketball.

« Reply #749 on: September 30, 2013, 05:50:33 PM »
I agree with rothstein the most. I would switch us and gtown though.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #750 on: September 30, 2013, 07:59:55 PM »
I agree with rothstein the most. I would switch us and gtown though.

Same, but I would move up Creighton to ahead of Providence.  I just can't see them not making the dance. 

paultzman

« Reply #751 on: September 30, 2013, 08:45:39 PM »
@DickieV: Word in the hoop world is that this could be a big season for Steve Lavin & the Red Storm ST john's alum @howieschwab is excited

Poison

« Reply #752 on: October 01, 2013, 04:27:49 PM »
Everyone has Creighton in their top 3.... except Rothstein.   He's got the Jays way down at #7. 
I think he's closer to the truth than the rest of them.    I'd be surprised if they don't struggle a little.

And fwiw, I would have Georgetown #1.    But maybe that's why I dont get paid to predict college basketball.

I agree with Rothstein. I need to see Creighton do it in this league before I'm a buyer. There is NBA talent in the new BE. Far more than in the MVC. Kyle Korver was a killer in that league, but now that's he's going up against NBA talent night in, night out, he's a role player.

It's not a perfect theory, but because of the harder comp, I think Creighton will be exposed.

My pre-season order is: (barring injury or ineligible players)

GTown, Marq, STJ, Prov, Nova, Butler, Creighton, Xavier, Seton Hall & DePaul.

Moose

« Reply #753 on: October 01, 2013, 04:42:28 PM »

I agree with Rothstein. I need to see Creighton do it in this league before I'm a buyer. There is NBA talent in the new BE. Far more than in the MVC. Kyle Korver was a killer in that league, but now that's he's going up against NBA talent night in, night out, he's a role player.

It's not a perfect theory, but because of the harder comp, I think Creighton will be exposed.

Creighton below Butler????
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #754 on: October 01, 2013, 04:44:38 PM »

What did you expect Korver to be...Lebron James? It is not only production in college you have to project what he can be at the NBA level which means size, athleticism, quickness, etc. Doesn't mean he would not have been just about as productive in any college league.

« Reply #755 on: October 01, 2013, 07:43:25 PM »
Seriously, the guy's had a 10 year career in the NBA averaging double figures half of those years and you don't think he would have been productive in the Big East?  C'mon Man!

Poison

« Reply #756 on: October 01, 2013, 08:58:17 PM »
Seriously, the guy's had a 10 year career in the NBA averaging double figures half of those years and you don't think he would have been productive in the Big East?  C'mon Man!

Let me elaborate, I'm not saying that Kyle Korver couldn't play in the BE. Just that he wouldn't have been as good, and I stand by that. As far as averaging double figures in the league. Yes, very nice. He is still a one trick pony, and if there were ever a situation where he was going off, he'd be guarded, and that would be end of it. Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony he is not.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:19:30 PM by Poison »

Tha Kid

« Reply #757 on: October 02, 2013, 09:10:05 AM »
JJ Redick is also a role player and was national college player of the year and played in the acc.  Jeff green dominated in the big east but is only a role player.  Explain that? There are plenty of examples. Korver was an exceptional college player and would hve been all big east first team at an absolute minimum.  As per usual if you don't play in a major state, poison discredits you.
"I drink and I know things"

paultzman

« Reply #758 on: October 02, 2013, 11:06:08 AM »
“@StJohnsBBall: SCHEDULE UPDATE: #SJUBB exhibition vs. Humboldt State has been moved to Monday, Nov. 4 at 7:30 p.m. Will still air on @ESPN3.”

Poison

« Reply #759 on: October 02, 2013, 01:19:48 PM »

Creighton below Butler????

Yes