« Reply #801 on: October 07, 2013, 08:39:15 PM »
Wow, we don't play a true road game until New years eve. That's incredible

We learned from Boeheim.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

Re: 2013-2014 Schedule
« Reply #802 on: October 07, 2013, 08:50:47 PM »
Decent analysis of a tough opponent;

“@CBTonNBC: 2013-2014 Season Preview: No. 20 Wisconsin Badgers http://wp.me/p1aWjM-1Z0Q

I wouldn't call it so much of an an analysis as a proclamation that Bo Ryan is good so Wisconsin will be too.  He doesn't know what will make them good except Ryan and Dekker.    All I know is Pointer will be on Dekker a lot, and when not him, it will be Sampson or Sanchez.  Get past that and he'll have to shoot over Obekpa.  If the rest of the Wisconsin team doesn't step up, it will be tough for them.  They do play rock ball though, so I'm sure they are aiming to slow the game down as much as possible.

In any event let's agree this is a tough game. Their mechanical style, solid D & usually  proficient three point shooting will present challenges. Our depth, quickness and athleticism should cause problems for them.  I certainly like our chances.

Tough without a question.  Wisconsin is always tough.  I agree with the writer.  He just skipped over any real analysis per se.  We might have a little bit of a wild card in that we have Whitesell on board and we don't know what twists he will integrate into our half court offense.  It's an early season game, so having a new "offensive coordinator" who teams can't really scout could add a wrinkle.

If we run an offense it will brand new to every opponent.

If Wisconsin starts hitting from 3, we'll lose this game.

As I've said before, Syracuse in their 2-3 has never placed a premium on defending the 3-pt shot.  Theyve been pretty successful under Boeheim methinks.  We need to do a better job getting out on shooters, but it's not that cut and dry.   Owning the boards is more important.

Once again, that statement regarding Syracuse and defending three-pointers is completely false.  It is a huge part of their defense.  I've heard JB himself say that is the biggest misconception about his zone. 

Autry, Hart, Edelin, Duany, Triche, Williams etc. They have big guards. I always feel like we're playing a pro team when we go up against them. They smother us. They get out on shooters, and disrupt. We don't shoot or pass well, and that's why we've no shot. Louisville made the extra pass and dunked all over them in last year's BE final.

Agree, but now our guards are 6'2-6'5", and we have more forwards to make it work better.  They can't chase on a guy like  Hooper or D'lo if we move the ball well enough.  A guy like Sanchez could possibly a killer in the high post.

I don't think we even sniff their length. Compared to them we are undersized at every position.
Do you think DLo has the length to get out on a shooter who could be 6'5/6'6?

« Reply #803 on: October 07, 2013, 10:10:56 PM »

“@CBTonNBC: 2013-2014 Season Preview: No. 20 Wisconsin Badgers http://wp.me/p1aWjM-1Z0Q

I wouldn't call it so much of an an analysis as a proclamation that Bo Ryan is good so Wisconsin will be too.  He doesn't know what will make them good except Ryan and Dekker.    All I know is Pointer will be on Dekker a lot, and when not him, it will be Sampson or Sanchez.  Get past that and he'll have to shoot over Obekpa.  If the rest of the Wisconsin team doesn't step up, it will be tough for them.  They do play rock ball though, so I'm sure they are aiming to slow the game down as much as possible.

In any event let's agree this is a tough game. Their mechanical style, solid D & usually  proficient three point shooting will present challenges. Our depth, quickness and athleticism should cause problems for them.  I certainly like our chances.

Tough without a question.  Wisconsin is always tough.  I agree with the writer.  He just skipped over any real analysis per se.  We might have a little bit of a wild card in that we have Whitesell on board and we don't know what twists he will integrate into our half court offense.  It's an early season game, so having a new "offensive coordinator" who teams can't really scout could add a wrinkle.

As I've said before, Syracuse in their 2-3 has never placed a premium on defending the 3-pt shot.  Theyve been pretty successful under Boeheim methinks.  We need to do a better job getting out on shooters, but it's not that cut and dry.   Owning the boards is more important.

Once again, that statement regarding Syracuse and defending three-pointers is completely false.  It is a huge part of their defense.  I've heard JB himself say that is the biggest misconception about his zone. 

Autry, Hart, Edelin, Duany, Triche, Williams etc. They have big guards. I always feel like we're playing a pro team when we go up against them. They smother us. They get out on shooters, and disrupt. We don't shoot or pass well, and that's why we've no shot. Louisville made the extra pass and dunked all over them in last year's BE final.

Agree, but now our guards are 6'2-6'5", and we have more forwards to make it work better.  They can't chase on a guy like  Hooper or D'lo if we move the ball well enough.  A guy like Sanchez could possibly a killer in the high post.

I don't think we even sniff their length. Compared to them we are undersized at every position.

Grant and fair cover so much ground on the wings. That's what makes being able to get the ball into the middle so important. Hopefully Sanchez can hurt them in there. Their guards aren't as big this year.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #804 on: October 07, 2013, 11:21:48 PM »

Grant and fair cover so much ground on the wings. That's what makes being able to get the ball into the middle so important. Hopefully Sanchez can hurt them in there. Their guards aren't as big this year.

The Syracuse zone last year was something else.  I can't remember it ever being better...rotations were so fluid and quick.  The length was absurd with MCW at 6'6...the only real lack of length was Triche and he could play the zone in his sleep.

I think Grant is a first round pick after the year.  Fair also has great length and athletic ability.  After that, I don't think they have the same kind of stuff as last year defensively. 

Poison

« Reply #805 on: October 07, 2013, 11:26:46 PM »

The Syracuse zone last year was something else.  I can't remember it ever being better...rotations were so fluid and quick.  The length was absurd with MCW at 6'6...the only real lack of length was Triche and he could play the zone in his sleep.

I think Grant is a first round pick after the year.  Fair also has great length and athletic ability.  After that, I don't think they have the same kind of stuff as last year defensively. 

They will have a very young team. Other than Fair, everyone is a question mark. Grant may be promising, but first round pick? You think he's that good? He was a role player from what I recall. He'll get his chance. I just we can beat them before their youth finds their rythem.

We're the veteran team on Dec 15th. We can't lose to freshman.

« Reply #806 on: October 08, 2013, 08:35:15 AM »

They will have a very young team. Other than Fair, everyone is a question mark. Grant may be promising, but first round pick? You think he's that good? He was a role player from what I recall. He'll get his chance. I just we can beat them before their youth finds their rythem.

We can lose to freshmen, especially when our "homecourt" feels like it belongs to CUSE.

MCNPA

« Reply #807 on: October 08, 2013, 08:50:26 AM »

Not at every position.  Cuse is bigger than us in the frontcourt, but you can only play 2 at a time.  Sanchez and Sampson are probably slightly  taller than Grant and Fair, and that is likely their matchup.  Cuse has a ton of bigs like Christmas, Coleman etc who have great size, but like I said, can only play 2 at a time.  Our backcourt is overall as big. 

As far as getting out on a 6'6" shooter, as of now they only have Cooney filling that role, and D'Lo can certainly get out on Cooney who isn't really fast.   Southerland is gone, who is the guy that destroyed us last year. We will have Hooper playing that shooter role and he is at least 6'6". 

Cuse has only 1 returning double digit scorer but they do have a lot of talent.  Their Pg is Ennis  and seems to be savy for his age, but they have a few questions in the backcourt right now, namely nobody pencilled at shooting guard.  Aside from Fair, they will have to figure out who will score.  I think they lose almost 50ppg scoring from last year which is a ton. 

They still scare me though, because they have been waxing us for years.  I think this is our year to turn that though.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:54:35 AM by MCNPA »

Marillac

« Reply #808 on: October 08, 2013, 01:19:57 PM »

Love Grant.  I can't see him not being a first rounder.

paultzman

« Reply #809 on: October 08, 2013, 01:24:59 PM »

Love Grant.  I can't see him not being a first rounder.

+1

Poison

« Reply #810 on: October 08, 2013, 01:57:21 PM »

Not at every position.  Cuse is bigger than us in the frontcourt, but you can only play 2 at a time.  Sanchez and Sampson are probably slightly  taller than Grant and Fair, and that is likely their matchup.  Cuse has a ton of bigs like Christmas, Coleman etc who have great size, but like I said, can only play 2 at a time.  Our backcourt is overall as big. 

As far as getting out on a 6'6" shooter, as of now they only have Cooney filling that role, and D'Lo can certainly get out on Cooney who isn't really fast.   Southerland is gone, who is the guy that destroyed us last year. We will have Hooper playing that shooter role and he is at least 6'6". 

Cuse has only 1 returning double digit scorer but they do have a lot of talent.  Their Pg is Ennis  and seems to be savy for his age, but they have a few questions in the backcourt right now, namely nobody pencilled at shooting guard.  Aside from Fair, they will have to figure out who will score.  I think they lose almost 50ppg scoring from last year which is a ton. 

They still scare me though, because they have been waxing us for years.  I think this is our year to turn that though.

This will come down to what happens first?
They get acclimated to Boeheim's system, or our guys gel.

Guys like Coleman are often forgotten, because they don't excel right away, but Boeheim could turn him into a force. That's what he does. You think a freshman is overrated, and then bam, Etan Thomas goes from a foul prone bricklayer to an all be player.

boo3

« Reply #811 on: October 08, 2013, 02:10:49 PM »
Poison-  I don't know the answer, but what NBA team is Triche on this season?

Moose

« Reply #812 on: October 08, 2013, 02:12:30 PM »
Poison-  I don't know the answer, but what NBA team is Triche on this season?

Trento

Northern Italy
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #813 on: October 08, 2013, 02:42:13 PM »

Syracuse always plays with a center. They will have those two (grant, fair) plus a big center in for the majority. I don't see Jakarr seein many minutes at the 3.

MCNPA

« Reply #814 on: October 08, 2013, 02:52:13 PM »
They always play a center but we could go with Obekpa, Sampson and Sanchez or Pointer up front.  Jerami Grant has yet to show his ability to play the 3 as well.  Orlando can probably play some time at the 3 for us as he has skills to play inside and out. 

I think that they are bigger in the post for sure, but at this point I like Obekpa and Gift there.  Christmas and Coleman need to step up and show what they can do.

« Reply #815 on: October 08, 2013, 02:56:24 PM »
They always play a center but we could go with Obekpa, Sampson and Sanchez or Pointer up front.  Jerami Grant has yet to show his ability to play the 3 as well.  Orlando can probably play some time at the 3 for us as he has skills to play inside and out. 

I think that they are bigger in the post for sure, but at this point I like Obekpa and Gift there.  Christmas and Coleman need to step up and show what they can do.

Grant played the 3 last year.

MCNPA

« Reply #816 on: October 08, 2013, 03:05:38 PM »

Grant played the 3 last year.

My point  was really that he's still a bit of a tweener.  Upside is excellent, and shot a nice percentage from the outside last year, but on low volume.  (he made 6 treys last year).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 03:08:53 PM by MCNPA »

Marillac

« Reply #817 on: October 08, 2013, 04:19:28 PM »
Jerami Grant has yet to show his ability to play the 3 as well.

Umm...what?!?
Grant has shown so much more of a SF game than Sampson and it's not even close. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 04:20:19 PM by Marillac »

MCNPA

« Reply #818 on: October 08, 2013, 04:48:22 PM »

Umm...what?!?

How so?  Those 6 treys?  Or the 50% from the line or 3.9 points per game?  Most of what Jerami Grant did was PF work inside.  I know you'll come up with some crazy description of why, but it doesn't show in the stats.  He has some work to do to show he's a SF as does Sampson.  Fwiw, I said Orlando could give us time at sf it seems, but it remains to be seen.  For Cuse, Fair is more of a SF than Grant at this point.

Marillac

« Reply #819 on: October 08, 2013, 06:06:40 PM »

Umm...what?!?

How so?  Those 6 treys?  Or the 50% from the line or 3.9 points per game?  Most of what Jerami Grant did was PF work inside.  I know you'll come up with some crazy description of why, but it doesn't show in the stats.  He has some work to do to show he's a SF as does Sampson.  Fwiw, I said Orlando could give us time at sf it seems, but it remains to be seen.  For Cuse, Fair is more of a SF than Grant at this point.

Why do you keep saying he is a PF?  Christmas averaged 22 mpg, Keita 15 mpg and they both played in every game.  There was also 12 mpg from Coleman (23 games).  Fair played 35mpg at the four.  Where are these minutes for Grant at the four?  He averaged 15 mpg.

He flashed a good handle and playmaking ability. Sampson did not show he had a SF's handle at all.  Grant is better than both Fair and Sampson.  They have limited games.  Grant doesn't have the same limitations.