2013-2014 Schedule

• 909 replies

MCNPA

Re: 2013-2014 Schedule
« Reply #820 on: October 08, 2013, 06:28:36 PM »
Jerami Grant has yet to show his ability to play the 3 as well.

Umm...what?!?
Grant has shown so much more of a SF game than Sampson and it's not even close. 

How so?  Those 6 treys?  Or the 50% from the line or 3.9 points per game?  Most of what Jerami Grant did was PF work inside.  I know you'll come up with some crazy description of why, but it doesn't show in the stats.  He has some work to do to show he's a SF as does Sampson.  Fwiw, I said Orlando could give us time at sf it seems, but it remains to be seen.  For Cuse, Fair is more of a SF than Grant at this point.

Why do you keep saying he is a PF?  Christmas averaged 22 mpg, Keita 15 mpg and they both played in every game.  There was also 12 mpg from Coleman (23 games).  Fair played 35mpg at the four.  Where are these minutes for Grant at the four?  He averaged 15 mpg.

He flashed a good handle and playmaking ability. Sampson did not show he had a SF's handle at all.  Grant is better than both Fair and Sampson.  They have limited games.  Grant doesn't have the same limitations.

Grant is better than Fair and Sampson?  What are you smoking?  He's got potential for sure, but played almost 20 minutes per game last year and averaged 3.8 ppg and 6 treys for the season.  Yet you say he's better than Cuse's best player and only double digit scorer returning and the Big East ROY?  Again, he has to produce first for that potential to become reality. 

Poison

« Reply #821 on: October 08, 2013, 07:36:48 PM »
They always play a center but we could go with Obekpa, Sampson and Sanchez or Pointer up front.  Jerami Grant has yet to show his ability to play the 3 as well.  Orlando can probably play some time at the 3 for us as he has skills to play inside and out. 

I think that they are bigger in the post for sure, but at this point I like Obekpa and Gift there.  Christmas and Coleman need to step up and show what they can do.

You like Obekpa and Gift to guard Christmas and Coleman?

MCNPA

« Reply #822 on: October 08, 2013, 08:00:07 PM »
They always play a center but we could go with Obekpa, Sampson and Sanchez or Pointer up front.  Jerami Grant has yet to show his ability to play the 3 as well.  Orlando can probably play some time at the 3 for us as he has skills to play inside and out. 

I think that they are bigger in the post for sure, but at this point I like Obekpa and Gift there.  Christmas and Coleman need to step up and show what they can do.

Why not?  What have those guys done?  Obekpa was the best shot blocker in the country last time I checked.  Cuse isn't going to play Christmas and Coleman at the same time, but we have several guys 6'8" and above.  We guarded them last year without Sanchez and Gift, and it wasn't those guys that killed us.  It was fair, Triche, MCW and Southerland.

It's very sad, because I keep expecting our beloved Crgreen to comment on our constant inferiority complex.  Time for that to end.  We are in different leagues now and we have the horses to not make excuses any more.  Time to not be afraid of Cuse.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:19:48 PM by MCNPA »

paultzman

« Reply #823 on: October 08, 2013, 08:23:41 PM »
IMO, our one advantage v. Cuse is guard play. It's tough to integrate a Freshman PG (Ennis) usually, especially so early in season.  Our guards seem potentially solid for sure. Tough matchup always with Orange, but have to respect our chances.

« Reply #824 on: October 08, 2013, 08:24:37 PM »

Obekpa will be fine. Gift is the question mark in that scenario.

MCNPA

« Reply #825 on: October 08, 2013, 08:27:50 PM »

Why?  Gift had better numbers his first season than either Christmas or Coleman...  People might not like Gift but he's strong and can do some nice things when needed to do so. He had no help his first season.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:30:11 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #826 on: October 08, 2013, 08:31:06 PM »

Why?  Gift had better numbers his first season than either Christmas or Coleman...

We all know Gift's numbers were very inflated that year from playing minutes he shouldn't have been getting. He looked overmatched against more talented teams.

MCNPA

« Reply #827 on: October 08, 2013, 08:42:22 PM »

Why?  Gift had better numbers his first season than either Christmas or Coleman...

We all know Gift's numbers were very inflated that year from playing minutes he shouldn't have been getting. He looked overmatched against more talented teams.

He double-doubled vs UK so he's capable for sure.  Christmas has yet to show up.  Coleman looks like he can produce, but needed to get in better shape.  Neither guy has done much yet, that's all I'm saying, so we aren't overmatched by those guys until they prove they are a problem.  I think they had a combined 2 pts vs us last year?  SJU having Sanchez up front, with his skill set at his size should be a huge asset for us as well.

« Reply #828 on: October 08, 2013, 09:24:03 PM »

He double-doubled vs UK so he's capable for sure.  Christmas has yet to show up.  Coleman looks like he can produce, but needed to get in better shape.  Neither guy has done much yet, that's all I'm saying, so we aren't overmatched by those guys until they prove they are a problem.  I think they had a combined 2 pts vs us last year?  SJU having Sanchez up front, with his skill set at his size should be a huge asset for us as well.

I'm just still not convinced Gift is a BE caliber big man. I think in a limited role he can be useful for us, but I don't want to have to count on him for much. I know he showed flashes of playing well (UK game), but other than that he struggled mightily in BE play.

MCNPA

« Reply #829 on: October 08, 2013, 09:29:55 PM »

I'm just still not convinced Gift is a BE caliber big man. I think in a limited role he can be useful for us, but I don't want to have to count on him for much. I know he showed flashes of playing well (UK game), but other than that he struggled mightily in BE play.

That's not entirely true.  Gift scored double digits with near double digit boards vs Piitt, Rutgers, DePaul and I think one or two others.  Overall, his numbers were quite good as a first year JC big guy with no help inside.  Sure he had inconsistent performances, but for a backup big man on our team now, his first year numbers were impressive.

Poison

« Reply #830 on: October 08, 2013, 09:46:51 PM »
I don't think Gift can contain any BE center, let alone a guy as strong as Christmas. He might not be the McDonald's AA they expected to be getting, but he plays defense, he rebounds and he holds his position in the paint.

Gift can't do any of those things unless he's playing much weaker competition.  I am lost at how anyone can point to Gift's "performance" against UK as proof that he is capable. That game was an absolute disgrace. We had no business being on the same court with them.

Gift started to score some points and pull down some boards when there was absolutely no doubt that the game was over. So, his offensive rebound and basket off the glass trimmed UK's lead to 65-25. What can you take away from that? In 2006, there was a thread on one of these boards about the awakening of Ricky Torres, because he scored a few baskets at MSG vs Maryland. Why did he score against them? Because they didn't care if he did.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 09:48:32 PM by Poison »

Moose

« Reply #831 on: October 08, 2013, 09:52:07 PM »
I don't think Gift can contain any BE center, let alone a guy as strong as Christmas. He might not be the McDonald's AA they expected to be getting, but he plays defense, he rebounds and he holds his position in the paint.

Gift can't do any of those things unless he's playing much weaker competition.  I am lost at how anyone can point to Gift's "performance" against UK as proof that he is capable. That game was an absolute disgrace. We had no business being on the same court with them.

Gift started to score some points and pull down some boards when there was absolutely no doubt that the game was over. So, his offensive rebound and basket off the glass trimmed UK's lead to 65-25. What can you take away from that? In 2006, there was a thread on one of these boards about the awakening of Ricky Torres, because he scored a few baskets at MSG vs Maryland. Why did he score against them? Because they didn't care if he did.

Christmas? Strong?
You mean Coleman, right?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #832 on: October 08, 2013, 09:57:16 PM »

Why?  Gift had better numbers his first season than either Christmas or Coleman...  People might not like Gift but he's strong and can do some nice things when needed to do so. He had no help his first season.

He had better numbers, but he was not better than either of them at anything. Gift is a 5th year senior. When he arrived at STJ, he was a junior and a well known academic. I have no doubt that his grades are better than Christmas and Coleman.

The problem is that there is intelligence, and there is basketball intelligence. Players can improve. They can learn a system, work on the weaker parts of their game and become very savvy players.

Christmas, Coleman and Obekpa could all be among the best big men in the country bec they already play with their neck up. They know the game. Gift doesn't have a comfort level on the court. When he gets the ball and isn't in a position to score he often doesn't know what to do. An upperclassmen should. I hope he proves me wrong, but I'm not hopeful for big contributions from him against top flight programs.

MCNPA

« Reply #833 on: October 08, 2013, 10:11:49 PM »

Christmas? Strong?
You mean Coleman, right?

Ah, what's the difference?  Oh, Gift also had 20pts 7 rebs vs Marquette.  He can contribute.

« Reply #834 on: October 08, 2013, 10:24:57 PM »

Ah, what's the difference?  Oh, Gift also had 20pts 7 rebs vs Marquette.  He can contribute.

He didn't do that against Davonte Gardner and Chris Otule, did he?  'Cause those guys were pretty good.

Tiznow

« Reply #835 on: October 08, 2013, 10:26:02 PM »
Too much was asked of Gift two years ago.  The extra minutes hurt his numbers.  He's going look big east caliber - whatever that means - this season.  He's no longer holding down the fort with four 18 year olds.

Marillac

« Reply #836 on: October 08, 2013, 10:32:41 PM »

Why not?  What have those guys done?  Obekpa was the best shot blocker in the country last time I checked.  Cuse isn't going to play Christmas and Coleman at the same time, but we have several guys 6'8" and above.  We guarded them last year without Sanchez and Gift, and it wasn't those guys that killed us.  It was fair, Triche, MCW and Southerland.

It's very sad, because I keep expecting our beloved Crgreen to comment on our constant inferiority complex.  Time for that to end.  We are in different leagues now and we have the horses to not make excuses any more.  Time to not be afraid of Cuse.

CJ Fair is a great player...I would LOVE to have him on our team, but he has a limited game.  He is extremely athletic around the glass and he can hit the outside shot, but he does very little between the two offensively.  Grant has the ability to do it all.  Grant played 15 mpg...let's not exaggerate to prove a point.  He played 15 mpg for as a freshman FInal Four team. 

Grant will lead Syracuse in scoring.    Sampson is a lot like Fair. 

« Reply #837 on: October 08, 2013, 10:48:49 PM »

Christmas? Strong?
You mean Coleman, right?

Christmas is plenty strong.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #838 on: October 08, 2013, 11:23:08 PM »
Too much was asked of Gift two years ago.  The extra minutes hurt his numbers.  He's going look big east caliber - whatever that means - this season.  He's no longer holding down the fort with four 18 year olds.

What makes you say that Gift will look BE caliber? He usually was overmatched at tip off.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 11:23:45 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #839 on: October 08, 2013, 11:34:48 PM »

Christmas? Strong?
You mean Coleman, right?

I didn't say skilled. I said strong, and Christmas is strong. You're not going to push him around in the paint. Gift, you barely have to guard.