Next Season

• 280 replies
Re: Next Season
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2013, 04:25:18 PM »
Why are we still talking about a walk on getting a few minutes of PT?

« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2013, 04:28:48 PM »
Why are we still talking about a walk on getting a few minutes of PT?

Because the season's over and nobody is thrilled with how the last nine games played out. ;)

MCNPA

« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2013, 05:02:19 PM »
I don't think Lipscomb draws attention to anything. 

Of course you don't. Your worry meter is stuck on 30, you're wearing rose colored glasses and waving pom poms, and you believe Lavin is as infallible in basketball matters as Pope Francis is in the realm of the spirit. Which is all fine. I admire your optimism and envy you your faith. But there are other theologies: Kierkegaard called faith the leap into the absurd. I believe what I see with my eyes and fear and trembling comes upon me. I see walk ons playing in "meaningless" post season games where before there were none. Poof! They appear. That you choose to believe that a miracle doesn't make it one. Especially you.

You forget that I too am an atheist and "faith" is not something i readily participate in.  I'm much more existential, but with respect to Kierkegaard it is the fear component that I lack.  At second glance, your conspiracy theories don't lend themselves to existentialism much if at all.  I'm surprised because as someone that claims to be an atheist and references the great existentialists, you constantly need to partake legerdemain more befitting, well a Machiavellian.  And don't take that as a compliment. 

I don't have blind faith in Lavin, contrary to what you believe.  I just think he needs some more time to put this team together.  He's been to more sweet 16's as a head coach than most of the coaches currently in the tournament.  It would seem that he knows what it takes to get there and win games.  In the grand scheme, every walkon playing 3 minutes in a game doesn't have to become Rudy Part Deux, although it seems to me more of a nice gesture rather than chicanery. 

« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2013, 05:15:43 PM »
I've heard a lot of speculation as to why the walk-ons have been played at the end of the season.  Did anyone hear a valid reason?

Sending a message to everyone on the team specifically guys like Marco, Felix, Christian Jones for next year.  Your playing time is not guaranteed and I expect serious results next year or you are sitting.

The two biggest issues going into to next year are:

1) Getting the D'lo situtation resolved one way or another and as soon as possible.  Is he going to be on the team or not?

2) Getting these guys committed in the off-season to improving themselves and coming back stronger and ready to compete.

A possible 3rd issue is getting a late recruit like Jordan but to me that is not as critical as the first two.  That would be luxury.

Wonder what the staff will be working on? Everyone needs to improve, correct?

Yes but to me it is strength and conditioning.  Those are the two qualities that young teams need to improve on from one season to the next.

Don't miss that 50/50 ball on the floor because your tired or give up that late rebound because the other guy outmuscled you underneath.

Foad

« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2013, 05:54:30 PM »
You forget that I too am an atheist and "faith" is not something i readily participate in.  I'm much more existential, but with respect to Kierkegaard it is the fear component that I lack.  At second glance, your conspiracy theories don't lend themselves to existentialism much if at all.  I'm surprised because as someone that claims to be an atheist and references the great existentialists, you constantly need to partake legerdemain more befitting, well a Machiavellian.  And don't take that as a compliment. 

I don't have blind faith in Lavin, contrary to what you believe.  I just think he needs some more time to put this team together.  He's been to more sweet 16's as a head coach than most of the coaches currently in the tournament.  It would seem that he knows what it takes to get there and win games.  In the grand scheme, every walkon playing 3 minutes in a game doesn't have to become Rudy Part Deux, although it seems to me more of a nice gesture rather than chicanery.

Im not an existentialist, a system comprising the belief that because life is absurd philosophy should be also. Neither do I care about your personal relationship with the Yahweh or lack thereof: that Kierkegaard twaddle was a third  metaphor and the rest monkeyshine. Either it sailed over your head or my skill at prestidigitation is better than you credit.

I know you think you're "objective." You're not. You could I suppose more the pollyanna but I dont see how. Frankly I find MBC Carmine's Phil Greene fetishism more realistic, at least he admits he's being irrational. You train your clinical eye on Lavin and see Pete Newell. They call me Doctor Fun but I can't cure that sort of myopia. Besides which its an honorarium anyway.

What I'm seeing through my shit colored glasses - which I readily admit to wearing - is not merely bad basketball but things much worse. Section 9 ably put forth the case for a loss of control, the fish rotting from the head coach down. There's no point rehashing it because you're oblivious to Lavin's myriad failings. The fact is that if not for Lavin's accumulated goodwill we'd already be a laughingstock. Again. Suspensions, fights, walk ons, tardiness and eye rolls. Its all part of the same parcel. My take is less a conspiracy than an integrated system of belief [sic]. Those who can't, teach; those who can't teach, coach. The best that can be hoped is that Lavin is not so addled that he mistakes his shortcomings for ingenuity. Notice I said hope. Faith is for suckers. 

« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2013, 06:09:31 PM »
IMO I don't think Lavin knows why he played the walk ons. Or why he plays a guy for 10 seconds, takes him out, then puts him back in. I don't think Lavin thinks about what he is doing. I think he knows the guys he likes and he is going to play them big minutes. The guys he doesn't like or is not sure about he shuffles them in an out hoping something sticks. I really believe this to be the case.

MCNPA

« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2013, 06:15:43 PM »

Im not an existentialist, a system comprising the belief that because life is absurd philosophy should be also. Neither do I care about your personal relationship with the Yahweh or lack thereof: that Kierkegaard twaddle was a third  metaphor and the rest monkeyshine. Either it sailed over your head or my skill at prestidigitation is better than you credit.

I know you think you're "objective." You're not. You could I suppose more the pollyanna but I dont see how. Frankly I find MBC Carmine's Phil Greene fetishism more realistic, at least he admits he's being irrational. You train your clinical eye on Lavin and see Pete Newell. They call me Doctor Fun but I can't cure that sort of myopia. Besides which its an honorarium anyway.

What I'm seeing through my shit colored glasses - which I readily admit to wearing - is not merely bad basketball but things much worse. Section 9 ably put forth the case for a loss of control, the fish rotting from the head coach down. There's no point rehashing it because you're oblivious to Lavin's myriad failings. The fact is that if not for Lavin's accumulated goodwill we'd already be a laughingstock. Again. Suspensions, fights, walk ons, tardiness and eye rolls. Its all part of the same parcel. My take is less a conspiracy than an integrated system of belief [sic]. Those who can't, teach; those who can't teach, coach. The best that can be hoped is that Lavin is not so addled that he mistakes his shortcomings for ingenuity. Notice I said hope. Faith is for suckers.

Agree with you about hope.  I wasn't happy with how this season went down either. 

« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2013, 06:19:57 PM »
IMO I don't think Lavin knows why he played the walk ons. Or why he plays a guy for 10 seconds, takes him out, then puts him back in. I don't think Lavin thinks about what he is doing. I think he knows the guys he likes and he is going to play them big minutes. The guys he doesn't like or is not sure about he shuffles them in an out hoping something sticks. I really believe this to be the case.

As much as I hate to say it, I sort of agree. 33 games into the season and we were still incredibly erratic in terms of who gets minutes and what our rotation is. Just really bizarre.

paultzman

« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2013, 06:21:23 PM »

As much as I hate to say it, I sort of agree. 33 games into the season and we were still incredibly erratic in terms of who gets minutes and what our rotation is. Just really bizarre.

Agree

« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2013, 06:33:17 PM »
The lose to Virginia was sad but a proper way to end the season we show great penitential but when we are required to play big time basketball we just don't have the skills. I understand many people have used this "young team" excuse for there lack of quality basketball but shooting 27% from behind the arc is scary and what i take from this season is that we have athletic players but that doesn't translate into a good basketball team who can shoot the ball and unless Lavin teaches the team to attack the hooop and take quality shoots and make them it will be another long season

« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2013, 09:51:46 PM »
maybe someone reminded coach lipscomb beat florida gulf coast twice this year...he got confused and put lipscomb in the games.

« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2013, 11:13:06 PM »
I'm calling it now. Amir is first to leave

Moose

« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2013, 11:14:10 PM »

Twitter vibe?
Remember who broke the Slice news

LJSA

« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2013, 11:15:24 PM »

I believe other coaches yank guys with no rhyme or reason because they are being passive aggressive about wanting them to transfer -- they don't want to be a bad guy and tell them to leave, so they treat them like shit until they leave on their own.

I of course think Lavin is a nice guy and refuse to believe he's doing that with Marco to create roster space.

MCNPA

« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2013, 01:57:52 AM »

I believe other coaches yank guys with no rhyme or reason because they are being passive aggressive about wanting them to transfer -- they don't want to be a bad guy and tell them to leave, so they treat them like shit until they leave on their own.

I of course think Lavin is a nice guy and refuse to believe he's doing that with Marco to create roster space.

I don't think Lavin us a bad guy with respect to pulling Marco.  I do believe though, tha Marco's recruitment was certainly linked to Sanchez more than it was solely on his own merits.  I believe that Lavin thought it would help bring in Sanchez and in addition Marco could be a role player.  Marco had some decent games and probably has some in the future.  He isn't going anywhere.  He's going to be a senior. 

« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2013, 02:07:52 AM »

I don't think Lavin us a bad guy with respect to pulling Marco.  I do believe though, tha Marco's recruitment was certainly linked to Sanchez more than it was solely on his own merits.  I believe that Lavin thought it would help bring in Sanchez and in addition Marco could be a role player.  Marco had some decent games and probably has some in the future.  He isn't going anywhere.  He's going to be a senior. 

So was Avery Paterson.

Assuming lavin is the coach next year, I really dont see any transfers. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2013, 08:11:32 AM »

DFF6

« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2013, 08:19:21 AM »

« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2013, 08:51:08 AM »

Twitter vibe?

Yup
Don't read into it too much.  He said this two days ago when asked about his plans:

amir garrett ‏@Amir_Garrett 24 Mar

@NoApologies5 appreciate it man.. It's baseball then I'm coming back like I did this past summer!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:51:20 AM by Gray Chudney »

Moose

« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2013, 08:58:56 AM »

Twitter vibe?

Yup
Don't read into it too much.  He said this two days ago when asked about his plans:

amir garrett ‏@Amir_Garrett 24 Mar

@NoApologies5 appreciate it man.. It's baseball then I'm coming back like I did this past summer!

But come on.  Interpreting tweets is more fun ;)
Remember who broke the Slice news