Next Season

• 280 replies

crgreen

Re: Next Season
« Reply #200 on: March 28, 2013, 01:16:43 AM »
What is interesting is we were 5-5 against the old Big East and only 3-6 against the Catholic 7 and 2 0f the 3 were wins over De Paul. Gtwn 0-2 Villanova 0-2 Providence 0-1 and Marquette 0-1 and Seton Hall 1-0.

I wouldn't read too much into that. We could have easily beaten Marquette (lost by 1 at buzzer), and Villanova the first time (blew big lead lost in OT), and I would expect us to beat Providence at home, and on the road with a full team.

But we didn't and come next fall we'll all  see foolish predictions as if we had won those games.

No, we'll see predictions based on what would have happened if we had Sanchez for those games.

« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2013, 10:33:51 AM »
What is interesting is we were 5-5 against the old Big East and only 3-6 against the Catholic 7 and 2 0f the 3 were wins over De Paul. Gtwn 0-2 Villanova 0-2 Providence 0-1 and Marquette 0-1 and Seton Hall 1-0.

I wouldn't read too much into that. We could have easily beaten Marquette (lost by 1 at buzzer), and Villanova the first time (blew big lead lost in OT), and I would expect us to beat Providence at home, and on the road with a full team.

But we didn't and come next fall we'll all  see foolish predictions as if we had won those games.

No, we'll see predictions based on what would have happened if we had Sanchez for those games.
What they believe Sanchez would have contributed. Which of course is fact.

« Reply #202 on: March 31, 2013, 07:37:22 PM »
"sleeping giants" like what:  the loch ness monster??  we've been sleeping longer than rip van winkle.

the program is in a coma like snow white...and we're stuck hoping the handsome prince can wake her.

it's tiresome listening to hosts who don't follow college hoops re-warm the same old lines. 

sorry to be debbie downer...and not to rewarm the same old argument...but 13 of the remaining sweet 16 teams are BCS schools.  the best we can hope for down the road is second tier top 25...ekeing into the NCAA tournament more often than not...and if we're ever in the sweet 16, we'll be billed as a cinderella story.

it didn't have to be that way.  instead the college presidents are counting the instant cash while listening to radio talk show hosts verbally stroke their privates.

Rarely is a major conference school with a few final fours, elite 8's, and nearly 30 NCAA appearances considered a "cinderella". The only time that may happen is if we had a bad season, then somehow got hot and won the BET getting the auto bid then going on a run from there. Cinderellas are almost always mid majors i.e. FGCU, Davidson, Butler, George Mason, VCU, Wichita St, etc.

As for the article, I don't think we are a sleeping "giant"...I think we are a team with a glorious past that may never rekindle that old flame again. By rekindle I mean elite 8's, final fours, top 10 rankings, consistent berths and some BET championships, etc. Some teams sadly never get back to their glory days even after many years of failure. I have learned not to have wild expectations for this program because it will almost certainly lead to disappointment. We should go by steps...right now the biggest thing is to make the tourney. Then let's get ranked. Then let's get ranked, make the tourney and win a few games. It's not too much to ask for a tourney berth next year at the minimum.

Poison

« Reply #203 on: March 31, 2013, 07:40:39 PM »
"sleeping giants" like what:  the loch ness monster??  we've been sleeping longer than rip van winkle.

the program is in a coma like snow white...and we're stuck hoping the handsome prince can wake her.

it's tiresome listening to hosts who don't follow college hoops re-warm the same old lines. 

sorry to be debbie downer...and not to rewarm the same old argument...but 13 of the remaining sweet 16 teams are BCS schools.  the best we can hope for down the road is second tier top 25...ekeing into the NCAA tournament more often than not...and if we're ever in the sweet 16, we'll be billed as a cinderella story.

it didn't have to be that way.  instead the college presidents are counting the instant cash while listening to radio talk show hosts verbally stroke their privates.

Rarely is a major conference school with a few final fours, elite 8's, and nearly 30 NCAA appearances considered a "cinderella". The only time that may happen is if we had a bad season, then somehow got hot and won the BET getting the auto bid then going on a run from there. Cinderellas are almost always mid majors i.e. FGCU, Davidson, Butler, George Mason, VCU, Wichita St, etc.

As for the article, I don't think we are a sleeping "giant"...I think we are a team with a glorious past that may never rekindle that old flame again. By rekindle I mean elite 8's, final fours, top 10 rankings, consistent berths and some BET championships, etc. Some teams sadly never get back to their glory days even after many years of failure. I have learned not to have wild expectations for this program because it will almost certainly lead to disappointment. We should go by steps...right now the biggest thing is to make the tourney. Then let's get ranked. Then let's get ranked, make the tourney and win a few games. It's not too much to ask for a tourney berth next year at the minimum.

Which teams are you referring to that has a few final fours?

« Reply #204 on: March 31, 2013, 07:52:49 PM »

Don't we have 2?

Poison

« Reply #205 on: March 31, 2013, 07:54:29 PM »

Don't we have 2?

« Reply #206 on: March 31, 2013, 08:01:54 PM »
Well my point remains...I can't remember the last time a major conference team with a history of glory at one point was called a cinderella.

paultzman

« Reply #207 on: March 31, 2013, 08:05:35 PM »

Don't we have 2?

And 1952

1952   Kansas   Big Seven   West   National Champions
St. John's   Independent   East   National Runner-Up
Illinois   Big Ten   East   Third Place
Santa Clara   Independent   West   

Poison

« Reply #208 on: March 31, 2013, 08:09:10 PM »
Well my point remains...I can't remember the last time a major conference team with a history of glory at one point was called a cinderella.

I wish we had a history of glory. We have a history of being relevant.

« Reply #209 on: April 01, 2013, 08:25:29 AM »
history being the operative word here.

no one can tell me an atlantic 10 clone...which we'll be after ACC entries syracuse and louisville finish this season...will have a "glorious future" against BCS teams.  rooting for st john's is like rooting for the mets.  at least they're tied for first place right now.  happy opening day!

« Reply #210 on: April 02, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »
 Interesting to learn that Michigan hadn't been to final 4 since 1993. Michigan State having surpassed them as that State's premier program..Beilein is a great Coach.He wins everywhere he's been.

Also Wichita State's return to prominence has been a long time coming too.. They were powerful in the 60's, 70's,80's but, not much lately.

So, there is always hope for us to return to a stature of National Prominence one day and not too distant in the future.

Poison

« Reply #211 on: April 02, 2013, 11:32:14 AM »

no one can tell me an atlantic 10 clone...which we'll be after ACC entries syracuse and louisville finish this season...will have a "glorious future" against BCS teams.  rooting for st john's is like rooting for the mets.  at least they're tied for first place right now.  happy opening day!

Spot on. At least the Mets have 86.

« Reply #212 on: April 03, 2013, 12:55:31 AM »
Interesting to learn that Michigan hadn't been to final 4 since 1993. Michigan State having surpassed them as that State's premier program..Beilein is a great Coach.He wins everywhere he's been.

Also Wichita State's return to prominence has been a long time coming too.. They were powerful in the 60's, 70's,80's but, not much lately.

So, there is always hope for us to return to a stature of National Prominence one day and not too distant in the future.

To do that we need shooters. We need our Trey Burke. For some reason we suck at recruiting shooters. If Hooper turns out to be Marco 2.0 I really think something is wrong with our talent evaluators. Fire them and hire shooting experts who know what to look for.

desco80

« Reply #213 on: April 03, 2013, 01:03:51 AM »

Newsie, we don't have big time football - there was no place for us in a bcs conference.   You really need to come to terms with that.    The new big east truly is the best situation for SJU, and it's not that bad by most measures.

Moose

« Reply #214 on: April 03, 2013, 01:11:19 AM »

Newsie, we don't have big time football - there was no place for us in a bcs conference.   You really need to come to terms with that.    The new big east truly is the best situation for SJU, and it's not that bad by most measures.

To add last 3 yrs each had a non football team in the Final Four right?  It CAN be done
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #215 on: April 03, 2013, 06:58:57 AM »

To add last 3 yrs each had a non football team in the Final Four right?  It CAN be done
what are the odds?  we need all the help we can get.  i never said we belong in a bcs conference.  i said there should have been more creativity in creating a league that could compete with bcs leagues.  perception is everything. 

« Reply #216 on: April 03, 2013, 01:19:17 PM »

what are the odds?  we need all the help we can get.  i never said we belong in a bcs conference.  i said there should have been more creativity in creating a league that could compete with bcs leagues.  perception is everything. 

7 in the last 10 years makes the odds 17.5%, while only 2 in the 10 years before that, though Moose is wrong, there were none last year.  So its actually trending positively as the hoops landscape flattens out a bit with early entries and more talented players to fill the same amount of spots as frosh.

Moose

« Reply #217 on: April 03, 2013, 01:30:30 PM »

7 in the last 10 years makes the odds 17.5%, while only 2 in the 10 years before that, though Moose is wrong, there were none last year.  So its actually trending positively as the hoops landscape flattens out a bit with early entries and more talented players to fill the same amount of spots as frosh.

Sorry I thought VCU was last year.  So back it up 1 extra year the number of teams is still the same.

« Reply #218 on: April 06, 2013, 08:53:32 PM »
Random, but I was recently in Florida on line to get some food and an older man taps me and asks "How the Johnnies doing?". Was pretty cool to get that in Florida. Apparently the guy was a Providence alum and followed both PC and SJ very closely. He even watched us in the NIT and said we would be good next year. We also talked about the new conference. Nice to see that it's a larger brand than I realize sometimes.

Moose

« Reply #219 on: April 06, 2013, 08:54:36 PM »
Random, but I was recently in Florida on line to get some food and an older man taps me and asks "How the Johnnies doing?". Was pretty cool to get that in Florida. Apparently the guy was a Providence alum and followed both PC and SJ very closely. He even watched us in the NIT and said we would be good next year. We also talked about the new conference. Nice to see that it's a larger brand than I realize sometimes.

You met Shurina Cheese?