Amir is leaving st. john's

• 271 replies
Re: Amir is leaving st. john;s
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2013, 11:10:38 PM »
Transfers should be expected every year. Even in the most stable programs. I'd be sorta surprised if Amir is the only role player who leaves. This is OK in my opinion as long as core guys are staying put

MCNPA

« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2013, 11:14:12 PM »
It's a smart move for Amir.  Amir falls behind Sanchez, Jakarr and Pointer.  Amir was a nice player and a hustler.  Seems like a real good kid as well, who wants seem more PT.  He wasn't going to see more with Dom getting better and Sanchez getting a year of eligibility.  We really needed a wing like Amir with some shooting range.  Something we still don't have, but even Dom started to show streaks of ability there. 

Like I said, we should all wish him good luck.  Not a malcontent type of kid and pretty sure he is leaving on good terms.  I don't think this constitutes a "revolving door".  It is just the byproduct of an unnaturally large recruiting class or two and the shakeup for PT that ensues. 

Now we just need to land Rysheed with that ship!

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2013, 11:28:58 PM »
Sad to see him go...he was a good rebounder.  I was really hoping he would develop a stand still 3 pt shot but it didn't happen this year. I wish him well.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2013, 11:30:43 PM »
Kid has a great heart and of Pelle, Sampson and himself, he was the only one to immediately show his dedication to St. John's. I respect that. Even with that being said, his minutes would be gone next year. Also, his inability to hit shots finish inside or mid-range didn't help his cause.

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2013, 11:48:30 PM »
@Amir_Garrett: I love you manRT @KarrSampson14: I'm gonna miss my homie @Amir_Garrett .. He's truly someone I can call my best friend 😔.. I love you buddy

SJUFAN

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2013, 12:13:37 AM »
There should be no outrage or panic here. We all loved Amir's dedication last fall after the Rise nonsense and appreciated his hustle on the court. But he was certifiably bad at key moments in important games this year. To me, it was obvious that there was not a big role for him going forward. I wish him well, as he seems to be a nice kid and was a great representative of the university during his tenure.

The only panic if you wish to call it that is I am not a fan of the revolving door.  Remember everyone talked about having grizzled 4 yr players from that initial class.  Poison made the point that right now Dom and Phil are 'technically the only ones' who will see 4 yrs.  Dee 'could' if he get back to the good graces.

I believe D'lo will be back, lets not forget about Jamal. That makes 4 seniors and 3 juniors with Felix, Jones, and CO. So we will be in good shape with regard to upper classmen. The scholarship situation is also begining to even out. Wish Amir the best. 

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2013, 12:17:39 AM »
It's best for him. His position on the depth chart was far down. Surprised he won't go to baseball full time but he must really love basketball. I will be rooting for him.

desco80

« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2013, 12:31:38 AM »
If Amir was encouraged to leave, then I'm not thrilled with this move at all.
If it was purely his decision - then fine.

But Amir was loyal to the program when we needed it most,  we had 5 scholarship players when Nuri left.   He could've prepped for a whole year, But he came aboard with no practice in mid season.

Plus, as poison and others are pointing out - next year we lose Sanchez, Gift, and almost definately Jakarr;   We have two forwards for the 2014 season.   Dom and jones.     Maybe we have a big haul in the 2014 class, or maybe we need an open scholarship for Jordan right now.    I get the possible reasons.  But if we encouraged Amir to leave, I'm not thrilled.   Hes one of the good guys.  Simple as that.   
Whatever the reason for leaving, thanks Amir, and good luck with whatever is next.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 12:56:06 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2013, 12:42:51 AM »
Good luck to him, great kid and his real sport is baseball anyway you can't blame him. He didn't really do much for us basketball wise...nothing that is not replaceable. I hope Jordan takes notice of this. UCLA loses its coach and possibly a lead recruiter, now we get a ship opened up. I hope this pushes him to us.

« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2013, 12:51:14 AM »
More ships to play with? Like Amir more than Phil by I'm not sure how to feel about a junior Amir garret vs soph Felix

I have to disagree with Amir over Phil. Though his confidence was misguided at times, Phil is a confident ballplayer. Toward the end of the year he began to realize where his shot's are and went with it.

Sad to see Amir go, seemed like a good guy who gave it his all. Pretty good rebounder too.

Two guys who don't have a natural position. Both did what they could. With Dom and Jakarr there were less opportunities for Garrett. Still, I really like the guy, and I find this upsetting if only because it really likes Lavin doesn't have a plan in terms of recruiting.

Or maybe he does, perhaps a certain guard from Philly joins us in a couple weeks  ;)

« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2013, 12:51:53 AM »
I loved Amir and thought he was one of those players you would never have to question his heart out there. I appreciate him coming here when it wasnt an easy choice and wish him best of luck in the future.

He wasnt able to transition to the wing and the front court for next year is only going to get more crowded. I completely understand his decision.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2013, 12:52:44 AM »
Love Amir, loyal & hardworking, really all you can ask for. Personally I think this is a good move for him. Wishing him nothing but the best in the future

« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2013, 05:47:01 AM »
So Dom Pointer and Phil Greene. Is that all that's left from our #2 ranked class?
Stop. He was expandable. Plus jakarr and dangelo back
Yes, don't jump on this...his value was plummeting...if his perception was that he should playing a more integral role then this move was inevitable...

« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2013, 06:10:58 AM »
Good luck, Amir.

« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2013, 06:26:13 AM »
There should be no outrage or panic here. We all loved Amir's dedication last fall after the Rise nonsense and appreciated his hustle on the court. But he was certifiably bad at key moments in important games this year. To me, it was obvious that there was not a big role for him going forward. I wish him well, as he seems to be a nice kid and was a great representative of the university during his tenure.

The only panic if you wish to call it that is I am not a fan of the revolving door.  Remember everyone talked about having grizzled 4 yr players from that initial class.  Poison made the point that right now Dom and Phil are 'technically the only ones' who will see 4 yrs.  Dee 'could' if he get back to the good graces.

I wouldn't call it a revolving door.  Nowadays, transfers are commonplace and always happening.

Amir probably thought he could get more minutes elsewhere and Lavin has depth at the forward position next season.

« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2013, 06:54:57 AM »
i'm just sorry to see one of the class acts leave.  good luck amir!

« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2013, 07:45:42 AM »
So Amir stays loyal to Lavin and St Johns after the whole Rise fiasco that was coordinated by SJU staff. And now, in 1 way or another he's told there's no time or space for him? Cruel world this college basketball

pmg911

« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2013, 08:03:24 AM »
Good luck to Amir is all of his future endeavours, he is making the right choice for his own future.

Let's be honest, at this level of college basketball you need to spend as much time as possible in the off season working on your game to constantly try and improve. Amir just doesn't have the time to do this.

He has the potential to make the majors playing baseball. He doesn't have the skill set or ability to play in the NBA.

Tiger

« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2013, 08:10:01 AM »
Still looks like a crowded front court.  Amir average 20 minutes per game.  Those minutes will have to be split by Hooper, GG and Sanchez and of course any of the returning front court guys who work this summer to improve their play.

Amir seemed like a class act.  His character is gonna be missed.

Poison

« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2013, 08:15:52 AM »
It's best for him. His position on the depth chart was far down. Surprised he won't go to baseball full time but he must really love basketball. I will be rooting for him.

Ever notice how good programs always have a senior waiting in the wings when a young player leaves for the NBA? Amir was ours. He wasn't a starter at this point, but by his senior year, who knows what this program will have left.

It seems like just yesterday, Lavin was spinning the Fresh Five. There are 2 left.