Amir is leaving st. john's

• 271 replies

Moose

Re: Amir is leaving st. john's
« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2013, 02:54:12 PM »
Classes should be starting today following Spring Break.

Will be interesting to see if D'angelo is back in classes, as well as the other guys.

By not attending classes they make it harder when transferring.  I don't see why any won't come back to finish out semester.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Re: Amir is leaving st. john;s
« Reply #121 on: April 03, 2013, 03:17:54 PM »
Two potential destinations that stick out to me are Cincy and USC.

UNLV.  Has friends there and i believe a lady friend...
His old gf heading into college goes to Kansas.  She was pretty salty when they parted ways - he he he

« Reply #122 on: April 03, 2013, 03:18:57 PM »
want to wish Amir the best of luck.  was really rooting for this kid.  as for the team, we're still top heavy.  wish we had more back court players.

« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2013, 03:18:59 PM »

Will be interesting to see if D'angelo is back in classes, as well as the other guys.

By not attending classes they make it harder when transferring.  I don't see why any won't come back to finish out semester.

Thanks for the clarification, wasn't sure quite how the transfer side worked out.

How long do kids usually wait to announce their plans?

Moose

« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2013, 03:20:29 PM »

Thanks for the clarification, wasn't sure quite how the transfer side worked out.

How long do kids usually wait to announce their plans?

They can announce now and just leave after semester.  And then can announce anytime before semester of classes.  Could drag out.

Chilleb

« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2013, 04:29:12 PM »
I love the way were tryna glaze this over. lol the kid is a wonderful kid. hes loyal and a hardworker, but we need to add this to the transfer thread. add him to the list of the 76587567238 other transfers in the country. its an epidemic.

Moose

« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2013, 04:30:05 PM »
I love the way were tryna glaze this over. lol the kid is a wonderful kid. hes loyal and a hardworker, but we need to add this to the transfer thread. add him to the list of the 76587567238 other transfers in the country. its an epidemic.

Only gonna get worse if NCAA legislation gets passed.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21494783/whywhen-a-new-transfer-rule-could-have-big-effects-on-college-hoops

« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2013, 04:42:51 PM »

Only gonna get worse if NCAA legislation gets passed.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21494783/whywhen-a-new-transfer-rule-could-have-big-effects-on-college-hoops

Wow -  that is going to have a major impact. I had no idea that was in the works. Thanks for the link Moose.

dR3w

« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2013, 04:49:47 PM »
Yeah, this will make the better schools better.  Now Kentucky can recruit players from other teams.  Hey kid, go play somewhere else for a year or two, then when you have honed your skills transfer to us.  Now they don't have to take a chance on a kid, just let him prove his skills somewhere else.

paultzman

« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »
Imo, fair critique of overall program stability.

“@QSTJHoops: Amir Garrett's departure from St. John's is a reminder of continuing trend. #stjbb http://sbn.to/10zpam7

« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2013, 05:56:33 PM »
it seems to me that our entire season next year depends upon harrison's "maybe" coming back.  we have a lot of talent in the frontcourt, but without a backcourt we're not going anywhere.  get used to a lot of ugly games.  sorry, but we need harrison next year...big time.  and even with him coming back, we need him, branch and greene to be healthy all year long.  the staff needs to do a better job at bringing in talented guards into the program.

bk8664

« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2013, 06:03:12 PM »
it seems to me that our entire season next year depends upon harrison's "maybe" coming back.  we have a lot of talent in the frontcourt, but without a backcourt we're not going anywhere.  get used to a lot of ugly games.  sorry, but we need harrison next year...big time.  and even with him coming back, we need him, branch and greene to be healthy all year long.  the staff needs to do a better job at bringing in talented guards into the program.

I don't agree with this. Yes, having Harrison back would be quite helpful, but I don't think a successful season hinges entirely on him coming back.  If Greene and Branch come back as effective shooters in the back-court wouldn't that suffice? (Along with continued improvements from Sampson, Pointer and hopefully a good as advertised Sanchez?)    What would happen if Harrison doesn't show and we do indeed get Rysheed Jordan who is supposed to be a terrific scorer?  I think a back-court of Jordan, Greene and Branch would put up pretty darn good results.     
    I actually think there are plenty of ways in which this team has an opportunity to get better and be effective on the court.  It doesn't all hing on Harrison - it's a team game, and it'll need a team effort to get us to where we want to be.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 06:06:46 PM by bk8664 »

Poison

« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2013, 06:15:19 PM »

I don't agree with this. Yes, having Harrison back would be quite helpful, but I don't think a successful season hinges entirely on him coming back.  If Greene and Branch come back as effective shooters in the back-court wouldn't that suffice? (Along with continued improvements from Sampson, Pointer and hopefully a good as advertised Sanchez?)    What would happen if Harrison doesn't show and we do indeed get Rysheed Jordan who is supposed to be a terrific scorer?  I think a back-court of Jordan, Greene and Branch would put up pretty darn good results.     
    I actually think there are plenty of ways in which this team has an opportunity to get better and be effective on the court.  It doesn't all hing on Harrison - it's a team game, and it'll need a team effort to get us to where we want to be.

We went 1-6 w out Harrison. He is essential to our success.

MCNPA

« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2013, 07:37:53 PM »

Agree.  And IF we land Rysheed Jordan, we are looking pretty dangerous all of a sudden.

bk8664

« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2013, 07:41:33 PM »

We'll agree to disagree. I think the team can be good even if Harrison doesn't return.  If other returning players improve; coupled with adding Sanchez and Gift and Hooper, and especially if we add Rysheed Jordan.

« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2013, 08:13:50 PM »
Amir's intensity and aggressiveness paid off initially and he contributed to the team through his rebounding and layups underneath.

Once the defense learned that Amir was a left-handed one-shot player he became ineffective offensively except for his rebounding.

That's when some of Amir's eye-popping fundamental mistakes began to make him a conspicuous liability out there.

He has a great attitude and I would love to be on his team in a pickup game but he failed to show the improvement necessary to compete at this level.

Great attitude, great work ethic,  great athlete.  But that's his blessing and curse - he's a kid who NEEDS an intensive offseason non-stop HOOPS development program in order to improve his game.  But he's got a million reasons to dedicate that attitude, work ethic and athleticism for 6 months a year to Baseball.   Six months a year IS time to make great strides for a pitcher - where practice time is limited anyways by restrictions to amount of repetitive stress on a pitchers arm.  But it guarantees a pretty flat line on an improvement curve in hoops.   As we've seen, just on his athleticism, Amir can be a contributor off the bench to a winning team in a high-end conference. He could even be a starter and major contributor at a mid major.  And I love the kid.  But St. Johns will possibly be better off in the long run giving his 20 minutes a game  the next two years to a player who COULD still develop into a starting level Big East player.

Just my 2 cents.

+4000 :(

P.S. Loved his heart and hustle but I still ache when I think about marquette loss at end of season @ the Garrrdin!!!!
 :'(

TONYD3

« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2013, 08:21:44 PM »
We can't win without Harrison or a legit replacement. Samson is a great complmentary player. Not a star

Re: Amir is leaving st. john;s
« Reply #137 on: April 03, 2013, 08:28:34 PM »
Good move...not surprised at all.  I love this kid's potential on the hardwood, but Lavin clearly favors athletes like Dom over him.

I'd love to see him go to a school like Butler and develop his all-around game.
Prototypical Butler player-great outside shooter. ???

« Reply #138 on: April 03, 2013, 08:29:49 PM »
We can't win without Harrison or a legit replacement. Samson is a great complmentary player. Not a star

Strongly disagree with your second sentence. He averaged 15 and 7 as a freshman.

« Reply #139 on: April 03, 2013, 08:30:30 PM »
We can't win without Sanchez. Team sucked this year with Harrison and Sampson
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 08:31:02 PM by Marco Baldi »