Amir is leaving st. john's

• 271 replies

uwsfan

Re: Amir is leaving st. john's
« Reply #220 on: April 05, 2013, 02:52:13 PM »
Liked Amir personally, but i think this is addition by subtraction.
Christian and Felix have much more upside and I think they are a better team next yr if Amirs minutes go to these two guys along with Hooper.

I think Jones has the potential to be a star here by his junior season and hope he sticks around. Sanchez and Sampson are gone after next season so he has the potential to be a starter and major contributer as a junior. I personally think he may have NBA potential in the future. Felix will be a good player for us if he sticks around, although his inability to hit the long range shot makes him more vulnerable to being overrecruited in the near future.

paultzman

« Reply #221 on: April 05, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »
Respectfully disagree about Jones' NBA potential. Let's see if he sticks around and becomes a decent contributor.

SJUFAN

« Reply #222 on: April 05, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
Oh God here we go

What? Was it something I said?

Amir transferring thread turning into whether prostitution should be legal :)

Getting back to Amir, I think it's clear that his lack of jumper put him him on the bench. That says to me the guy who gets his minutes will need to have a consistent one. It might work out that Sampson plays the 3 and Sanchez plays the 4. Dom is the 6th man, and that leaves very little time for Amir.

I get it, but I don't like losing the continuity that I see other programs thriving from. Seniors make a difference. We saw that 2 years ago. It's big part of success. We're not going to be as experienced as we expected to be next year.

We need a bench. Teams like Louisville go 10 deep

Actually Louisville routinely play 8, Syracuse as well. Duke has a 7 man rotation and they have Amil Jefferson on the bench. He would have been our top recruit last year. Depth is important for practice, development, injuries, foul trouble and the like. Going 10 deep in the game is over rated, maybe bring in a kid for a couple spot minutes to spell a player but I want my top guys on the floor at all times. I would prefer to see us shorten our rotation and get some continuity.

While I agree with your premise Louisville actually went 9 deep.  Will go 8 this weekend without Ware.

Louisville will play 9 to 10 guys, however, the 9th and 10th guy only play a few minutes. I meant to say their primary rotation is 8 guys.

« Reply #223 on: April 05, 2013, 03:13:21 PM »
   Watching the Rutgers President on TV makes one realize the state of Education today, throughout America and, at all levels is BROKEN...

Dimwits and Nitwits are running Universities, Schools today and I shudder to think how FH would appear if he had to answer the charges against him in a public Forum..He'd be right up there with Dr. Barchi of Rutgers who basically presented himself as a idiot.

None of these guys ever step up and accept responsibility, and FH WON'T EITHER.

Now, losing Amir is difficult because he showed class and was a good kid.. He wasn't the Basketball Player he was proclaimed to be and his game lacked a shooting touch and some BB IQ..

Geez, Lavin's 1ST class isn't living up to its' press clippings.

Rutgers administration comes across as BUFFOONS..

Poison

« Reply #224 on: April 05, 2013, 03:13:49 PM »
Liked Amir personally, but i think this is addition by subtraction.
Christian and Felix have much more upside and I think they are a better team next yr if Amirs minutes go to these two guys along with Hooper.

I think Jones has the potential to be a star here by his junior season and hope he sticks around. Sanchez and Sampson are gone after next season so he has the potential to be a starter and major contributer as a junior. I personally think he may have NBA potential in the future. Felix will be a good player for us if he sticks around, although his inability to hit the long range shot makes him more vulnerable to being overrecruited in the near future.

I wouldn't sell Sampson to the league just yet. He is going to need a legit 3 point shot that he can hit with consistency, improved rebounding, improved passing and much defense.

That's asking for a lot of work in just one summer. He'll get there. The question is when?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 06:54:52 PM by Poison »

« Reply #225 on: April 05, 2013, 05:07:38 PM »
Oh God here we go

Getting back to Amir, I think it's clear that his lack of jumper put him him on the bench. That says to me the guy who gets his minutes will need to have a consistent one. It might work out that Sampson plays the 3 and Sanchez plays the 4. Dom is the 6th man, and that leaves very little time for Amir.

I get it, but I don't like losing the continuity that I see other programs thriving from. Seniors make a difference. We saw that 2 years ago. It's big part of success. We're not going to be as experienced as we expected to be next year.

Actually Louisville routinely play 8, Syracuse as well. Duke has a 7 man rotation and they have Amil Jefferson on the bench. He would have been our top recruit last year. Depth is important for practice, development, injuries, foul trouble and the like. Going 10 deep in the game is over rated, maybe bring in a kid for a couple spot minutes to spell a player but I want my top guys on the floor at all times. I would prefer to see us shorten our rotation and get some continuity.

While I agree with your premise Louisville actually went 9 deep.  Will go 8 this weekend without Ware.

Louisville will play 9 to 10 guys, however, the 9th and 10th guy only play a few minutes. I meant to say their primary rotation is 8 guys.

Their 7, 8 and 9 guys were Hazell, Ware and Van Tresse.  I suppose it's fair to say Van Tresse was not part of the primary rotation but he did average over 10 minutes per game.

Moose

« Reply #226 on: April 05, 2013, 05:19:56 PM »
Oh God here we go

Their 7, 8 and 9 guys were Hazell, Ware and Van Tresse.  I suppose it's fair to say Van Tresse was not part of the primary rotation but he did average over 10 minutes per game.

Were his minutes skewed by early games when Dieng was out?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #227 on: April 05, 2013, 05:28:41 PM »
Excellent question.  He did play over 20 mins the first four games Dieng was out then it was pared down.  But it would appear that Pitino has a hot and cold with him probably based on matchup.  He's played over 15 in 3 of the 4 tourney games and played 15 in the first two games of the BET but only played 2 in the BET final.  Go figure.  Like I said, yeah probably not core rotation but significant role player on and off.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 05:29:25 PM by yankcranker »

Moose

« Reply #228 on: April 05, 2013, 05:53:25 PM »
Excellent question.  He did play over 20 mins the first four games Dieng was out then it was pared down.  But it would appear that Pitino has a hot and cold with him probably based on matchup.  He's played over 15 in 3 of the 4 tourney games and played 15 in the first two games of the BET but only played 2 in the BET final.  Go figure.  Like I said, yeah probably not core rotation but significant role player on and off.

I have a been a big proponent of trying to downplay having 13 players.  I've posted many times showing what teams go 'deep' and Gonzaga was notoriously the only team that went 10-11 deep. Especially the year they beat us in the tournament.  You have the manage the roster the right way.  We're not there yet.

*Gonzaga even went deeper than 11 two years ago.  Olynyk only averaged 14 mpg that year.  That's allowing the player to mature and not throwing him to the fire which we are in a routine of doing.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #229 on: April 05, 2013, 06:33:43 PM »
I agree, in fact I think it hurt Pitt that Dixon felt the need to play 11 players more than 10 mins per game.  No continuity.

Core rotation should be no more than 8 players with a couple of situational role players.  Last 3 should be player or two in case of emergency and preparing for their more important roles in subsequent years plus an empty seat or two who won't give you any problems. 

« Reply #230 on: April 05, 2013, 08:02:06 PM »
Jordan, Harrison, Branch, Jakar, Sanchez, Obekpa, Dom and Greene.  Max/Jones.  Felix/Marco.

To what Choz said, I'm not a fan of pushing any kid out, even though I know it happens all the time.  However, a coach should be honest with his players at all times.  If a kid is a sophomore or junior and is or has already gotten recruited over, I think a coach should share that with the player so they have the option of moving on.  If they choose to stay for a period, a la Stith in 2010-2011, so be it.

Poison

« Reply #231 on: April 05, 2013, 08:13:28 PM »
Jordan, Harrison, Branch, Jakar, Sanchez, Obekpa, Dom and Greene.  Max/Jones.  Felix/Marco.

To what Choz said, I'm not a fan of pushing any kid out, even though I know it happens all the time.  However, a coach should be honest with his players at all times.  If a kid is a sophomore or junior and is or has already gotten recruited over, I think a coach should share that with the player so they have the option of moving on.  If they choose to stay for a period, a la Stith in 2010-2011, so be it.

I don't think Garrett was recruiter over. Other guys player better than him. He plays baseball over the summer, and while we all understand why, he can't work on his jumper in the minor leagues.

« Reply #232 on: April 05, 2013, 08:23:27 PM »

I don't think Garrett was recruiter over. Other guys player better than him. He plays baseball over the summer, and while we all understand why, he can't work on his jumper in the minor leagues.

True, he was just recruited in a class that had 4 SF's and he ended being the least of them.   Tough break but the other 3 will play hoops for pay for a long time. 

« Reply #233 on: April 05, 2013, 08:28:33 PM »

Agree..Actually thought Amir had a decent look to his stroke but he obviously was not able to work o it sufficiently nor develop a right hand...The fact that the team was going to play overseas during the summer was going to set him further behind. I am sure he realized it...

« Reply #234 on: April 05, 2013, 08:29:09 PM »

Agree..Actually thought Amir had a decent look to his stroke but he obviously was not able to work on it sufficiently nor develop a right hand...The fact that the team was going to play overseas during the summer was going to set him further behind. I am sure he realized it...

« Reply #235 on: April 05, 2013, 08:43:14 PM »
Respectfully disagree about Jones' NBA potential. Let's see if he sticks around and becomes a decent contributor.

I don't think he will be a star, but based on some flashes that I have seen, I could seem him getting a cup of coffee in the League. He has a big body, and runs the floor pretty well. Very raw back to the basket game, but if he can develop that, I like his chances.

Poison

« Reply #236 on: April 05, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »

I don't think he will be a star, but based on some flashes that I have seen, I could seem him getting a cup of coffee in the League. He has a big body, and runs the floor pretty well. Very raw back to the basket game, but if he can develop that, I like his chances.

It all comes down to the summer. What are his plans?

boo3

« Reply #237 on: April 05, 2013, 08:55:43 PM »
 They are all going to Europe, aren't they?  Amir not being a part of that team building trip would have glued him to the bench, IMO.

gman

« Reply #238 on: April 05, 2013, 09:23:17 PM »

Evans, JB, and Jb2 couldn't make it. Really think jones will make it?

crgreen

« Reply #239 on: April 05, 2013, 09:46:47 PM »

Evans, JB, and Jb2 couldn't make it. Really think jones will make it?

Correction, Gman.  Evans, JB and JB2 HAVEN'T made it.    Look no further than our newest Assistant Coach for a guy who didnt' make the league till 3-4 years down the road.  And Darrick ended up sticking a decade.   

Maybe the utimate guy in that category was Indiana's Dean Garrett -a JC transfer who was the Center on the Hoosier's 1987 National Championship team.  He graduated after the 1988 season, and had a nice 6-year NBA career.  Thing is, his rookie season was 1997.  He played in Italy and Greece for 8 seasons before getting his shot in the NBA...