Re: Amir is leaving st. john's
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2013, 11:05:55 PM »
or Chris Copeland on the Knicks ....

« Reply #241 on: April 06, 2013, 09:57:12 AM »
great kid and leader....will miss hi  reminded me of david from bellport

« Reply #242 on: April 06, 2013, 10:19:33 AM »
Great kid.. his positive attitude during rise mess showed tremendous character and loyalty.  His toughness will be missed

Poison

« Reply #243 on: April 06, 2013, 11:29:49 AM »
Great kid. Big character. Also big long arms. Such driven. Happy 4 him. Sad go. I miss.

ras

« Reply #244 on: April 06, 2013, 01:08:57 PM »
What a difference between the responce on the board w Amir as opposred to nuri. A class act. Wish him the best. Would have liked to see him around as a SR.

Poison

« Reply #245 on: April 06, 2013, 02:49:39 PM »
What a difference between the responce on the board w Amir as opposred to nuri. A class act. Wish him the best. Would have liked to see him around as a SR.

Look at how and when Nuri left. That is why he received the reaction he did. He couldn't handle being coached. Guys can have talent, but if they have a 5 cent head as well, they need to be ridiculously talented to make up for it. And he wasn't.

« Reply #246 on: April 06, 2013, 03:07:37 PM »
I don't think any Johnnie fan is happy that Amir is transferring, even though we acknowledge it as an inevitability in this era of college hoops and, at the end of the day, probably best for both the player and the team.  He showed loyalty to the program after the Rise debacle, is by all accounts a great kid, and played his a** off even though he has obvious shortcomings right now to be a wing player at this level.  A class act all the way, and he deserves all the love and well wishes he is getting.

Nuri was a far different story.

TONYD3

« Reply #247 on: April 06, 2013, 09:57:04 PM »
We are going to miss him. He wasn't big enough to be a post defender, but at least he tried to get position and defend the basket. Was overrated as a recuit,but given a chance to play would get garbage points and rebounds. Not the guy I wanted to transfer
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 09:57:49 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #248 on: April 07, 2013, 12:42:05 PM »
 Amir Garrett was no David Russell.. No disrespect to Amir but, David had much more game and could finish going to the rim. Usually from above it.

While not a great shooter he could hit the  pull up jumper..

All up, David Russel was a much better player..In all the categories that count.

« Reply #249 on: April 07, 2013, 02:29:19 PM »
First wife showed loyalty when she married me not so much when she left me. Just sayin. No problem with Amir transferring he is entitled to do what he feels his best for him and i wish him the best of luck especially in baseball where his future may lie just think it is a curious time to use the term loyality and I by no means are saying he was disloyal. Now my first wife on the other hand...  :)

« Reply #250 on: April 07, 2013, 07:40:47 PM »
Amir Garrett was no David Russell.. No disrespect to Amir but, David had much more game and could finish going to the rim. Usually from above it.

While not a great shooter he could hit the  pull up jumper..

All up, David Russel was a much better player..In all the categories that count.
No disrespect to Amir but not even remotely close...David Russell was an impact player in his 1st year...remember him blocking shots and hitting jump hooks against Louisville's doctors of dunk

« Reply #251 on: April 08, 2013, 08:02:30 PM »
shurinaCheese memory a little hazy. :)

sju89tr

« Reply #252 on: April 08, 2013, 08:07:26 PM »
I don't think any Johnnie fan is happy that Amir is transferring, even though we acknowledge it as an inevitability in this era of college hoops and, at the end of the day, probably best for both the player and the team.  He showed loyalty to the program after the Rise debacle, is by all accounts a great kid, and played his a** off even though he has obvious shortcomings right now to be a wing player at this level.  A class act all the way, and he deserves all the love and well wishes he is getting.

Nuri was a far different story.

I love Amir. He jut didn't develop as much as Dom. He was going to lose minutes. Hope he lands at a USC, UNLV, Long Beach State, New Mexico etc I will continue to root for him

« Reply #253 on: April 09, 2013, 12:01:56 AM »
i don't know if it's been mentioned here, but i think we also owe Amir a big thanks for helping to persuade JKS to come back. it's well known that Amir and JKS formed a tight friendship while they were in prep school together.  so while Amir only stayed 1.5 years in our program, i think he had a profound effect.

paultzman

« Reply #254 on: August 07, 2014, 03:38:46 PM »
@Amir_Garrett: It's time to marry the game, and I said yeah I do. Baseball I'm all yours!!! CountOnAG #TheGrindReallyStartsNow #RoadToTheShow

It's a smart move giving up basketball, considering how well he has done pitching recently. Good luck Amir!

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #255 on: August 07, 2014, 06:33:33 PM »
Wishing him the best if luck in Baseball, and thanks for being a Johnny.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #256 on: August 07, 2014, 07:13:52 PM »
Wish nothing but success for the kid, thanks for giving your best while at SJU…… Now can you find your way on the Mets lol

« Reply #257 on: August 08, 2014, 03:11:52 AM »
Wish he would have decided this while at SJU and pitched for the Johnnies. Best of luck!

« Reply #258 on: August 09, 2014, 06:42:35 PM »
He showed up at STJ with a pro contract already.  He wasn't playing baseball for any college at any time.