Three Good Outcomes

• 22 replies

desco80

Re: Three Good Outcomes
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 09:33:32 PM »
More than anything else, the Jordan signing has convinced me that Lavin really does know what he's doing when it comes to assembling a team.   I'll be honest, I had begun to have doubts.   
There were questions about recruiting too many athletes at the expense of real big men or skilled shooters, and he had a few players that didn't pan out for one reason or another:  Polee, Pelle, Nuri, Gathers. 

But the roster is balanced now in terms of scholarships, and it sounds like he's pursuing JUCO big men as well; which would give us depth for when Sampson goes pro or Sanchez graduates next spring.   It's clear he has a clue how to build a roster, and not just that, but he's able to execute the plan.   
The jury is still out on his in game coaching, in my mind anyway.   But the man knows how to recruit.   We'll have talent on the team as long as he's at St Johns.   Which is something that wasn't guaranteed under any of our former coaches, including Lou.   
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:41:45 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 09:51:08 PM »
I think it was probably going to be the reality with Fran at the helm as well, but I agree with you on all accounts, desco.

desco80

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 09:55:35 PM »
I think it was probably going to be the reality with Fran at the helm as well, but I agree with you on all accounts, desco.

You're right PR, it could've been true with Fran too. He certainly started out on the right track.
But it feels good now to know at least we'll have the talent to compete year in and year out.   Obviously a lot else still needs to go right to have good seasons, but starting out with the right talent at least gives you a shot.