C: George Johnson
PG: Frankie Alagia
SG: Billly Schaeffer

Sixth man: Reggie Carter

Thoughts?
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Re: STJ's all-time 70s team
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »
I love threads like this. I wasnt around for these years and am always interested in learning more about the history of our team. 80's next week choz? I could handle the 2000's lol.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 01:18:12 PM »
 before my time... I started in the early 80s.. I defer to the elderly on this one.. ;)

Foad

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 01:44:57 PM »
Boards kinda slow, so I offer this:

PF: Mel Davis
SF: Glen Williams

Thoughts?

A fair list. Davis, Johnson and Williams are gimmes. But IIRC Williams was a SG. Schaeffer I don't remember. David Russell squeaks on my list at SF for playing two months in 1979. As good as Alagia was he was was tiny - a case could be made for Mel Utley @ pg.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 01:47:49 PM »
Where's the Whopper?

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 01:57:36 PM »
well, they made a post season every year...but were beaten in the first round of the ncaa five times...but made a nice run in 1979 only to be beaten on two missed shots against penn that would have taken us to a final four.  we stunk out the nit every year but two...1970 when al mcguire took his marquette team from the ncaa out of spite and beat us in the final...and 1972 when we lost mel davis to oral roberts in a tournament we might have won.   

therefore, billy paultz gets my nod as best center even though looie said george johnson was one of the three most intelligent players to suit up for him.  he was also somewhat of a scoring machine, considering his coach insisted on a "walk up" offense.  plus, six foot seven really doesn't a center make unless you're talking about st john's.  wayne mccoy would be a second or third teamer here.  greg cluess is one of my all time favorites.
mel davis and billy schaeffer are no brainers. frank gilroy, rudy wright and ron plair of the second team deserve mentions.  reggie carter from that team is one of our all time best.  joe depre warrants consideration.  i'll grant alagia a mention, but he didn't win squat.  bernard rencher also deserves a mention.  underrated and very smart.  glen williams was a high scorer who never seemed to put two good halves together. 

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 08:37:12 PM »

Thoughts?

Thought hard bu cant argue with that starting 5...Cluess and Utley off the bench with Carter

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 08:40:04 PM »
well, they made a post season every year...but were beaten in the first round of the ncaa five times...but made a nice run in 1979 only to be beaten on two missed shots against penn that would have taken us to a final four.  we stunk out the nit every year but two...1970 when al mcguire took his marquette team from the ncaa out of spite and beat us in the final...and 1972 when we lost mel davis to oral roberts in a tournament we might have won.   

therefore, billy paultz gets my nod as best center even though looie said george johnson was one of the three most intelligent players to suit up for him.  he was also somewhat of a scoring machine, considering his coach insisted on a "walk up" offense.  plus, six foot seven really doesn't a center make unless you're talking about st john's.  wayne mccoy would be a second or third teamer here.  greg cluess is one of my all time favorites.
mel davis and billy schaeffer are no brainers. frank gilroy, rudy wright and ron plair of the second team deserve mentions.  reggie carter from that team is one of our all time best.  joe depre warrants consideration.  i'll grant alagia a mention, but he didn't win squat.  bernard rencher also deserves a mention.  underrated and very smart.  glen williams was a high scorer who never seemed to put two good halves together.

Glen Williams is one of the all time best outside shooters SJ has ever had...1st round draft choice...just not quick enough and limited handle...

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 11:29:24 PM »

Thoughts?
Got to believe the real author of this thread is Frank Alagia's father.  :) Good arguements for the rest of your choices Choz. Mel "the killer" Davis was a rebounding machine, Billy Schaefer a right handed Chris Mullin with a little less range (avg 24.7 pts his sr yr still a johnnie record), George Johnson still our all time career leading rebounder and smooth as silk at 6'8, Glen Williams a sweet shooting legit 6'4 or 6'5 sg. Frankie always tried to be the hero as illustrated his fr yr in first round of ncaa t down at William and Mary vs U of Penn when down by 1 in final seconds he drove down the middle of the lane and was swallowed up and stuffed by the Penn bigs as Schaeffer, Ed Searcy, Mel Utley and Kevin Cleuss all better options could only stand and watch. I happened to be there.  :(

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 12:00:44 AM »
You got the main players.  I'm biased to all the Nets:  Depre, Paultz, Schaeffer.

pmg911

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 08:34:33 AM »
Choz is dating himself here but in a great way..

My first game was 1978 and I was only 8 years old so I can't speak to much here.

From everything I have ever heard though, THE WHOPPER has to be on the list..!!

Poison

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 09:18:40 AM »
I can't do all 70s, but I'll try all 90s.

SF: Malik Sealy
C/PF: Jayson Williams
PG: Erick Barkley
PF/SF: Ron Artest
SG: Bootsy Thornton

6th man: Lavor Postell
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:20:03 AM by Poison »

boo3

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 11:24:13 AM »

Tough to agrue with this group.  No Cook?  ;)   You have to be Melo good to make an all-decade team after playing only one year IMO. 

redslope

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 02:41:18 PM »

Thoughts?

Mel, Glen, George and Billy are definites.  Missing Mel Utley over Reggie and possibly Frankie.  Also a member of the all time Name team-Beaver Smith 1000 point scorer and over 700 rebounds.  Beaver did the dirty work-always came to play.

redslope

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 02:42:47 PM »
Choz is dating himself here but in a great way..

My first game was 1978 and I was only 8 years old so I can't speak to much here.

From everything I have ever heard though, THE WHOPPER has to be on the list..!!

Whopper played only one season in 1970's

Poison

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 08:38:13 PM »

Tough to agrue with this group.  No Cook?  ;)   You have to be Melo good to make an all-decade team after playing only one year IMO. 

Hah, no. As impressive as Cook was, and even Melo, the more i think about it one season shouldn't be enough to put any player on an all time team.