Amir transfers to Cal State Northridge

• 25 replies
Amir transfers to Cal State Northridge
« on: May 08, 2013, 12:59:40 PM »
Cal State Northridge Matadors...per Amir's twitter.

kob24

Re: Amir transfers to Cal State Northridge
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 01:27:37 PM »
Yup

DFF6

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »
Best of luck to Amir on his new team.  Should be cool playing for Reggie Theus.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 02:17:09 PM »
I've never heard of that program. Is it a decent smaller school? Is he immediately their best player?

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 03:27:07 PM »
Poison, Cal State's are the smaller schools of the California public university system.  Think of UC's (LA, SD, Irvine, Berkeley, Santa Barbara, etc...) as the SUNY University Centers (Buff, Bing, Albany and Stony Brook).  The Cal State's are the University College's (Cortland, New Paltz, Oswego, Oneonta, etc...).  But Cali schools are generally bigger at both ends of the spectrum and therefore many have a higher sporting profile so some Cal State's play Div 1 sports.  Northridge plays in the same conference as a number of the smaller UC's, the Big West.  That said I imagine Amir would be their top player.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 03:53:26 PM »
Poison, Cal State's are the smaller schools of the California public university system.  Think of UC's (LA, SD, Irvine, Berkeley, Santa Barbara, etc...) as the SUNY University Centers (Buff, Bing, Albany and Stony Brook).  The Cal State's are the University College's (Cortland, New Paltz, Oswego, Oneonta, etc...).  But Cali schools are generally bigger at both ends of the spectrum and therefore many have a higher sporting profile so some Cal State's play Div 1 sports.  Northridge plays in the same conference as a number of the smaller UC's, the Big West.  That said I imagine Amir would be their top player.

Thanks. I recall seeing the Ant-Eaters at Alumni Hall. Before there was Roberts, there was Mahoney.

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 04:31:35 PM »
Sounds like a good fit, where he can get lots of time on the court and also have leeway to play baseball.  Good luck to him.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 05:15:09 PM »

Thanks. I recall seeing the Ant-Eaters at Alumni Hall. Before there was Roberts, there was Mahoney.

Wasn't it the Anteaters who beat STJ in the Lapchick and then the tourney went away?

redslope

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 08:05:16 PM »

Wasn't it the Anteaters who beat STJ in the Lapchick and then the tourney went away?

you got that right but the Anteaters are UC Irvine

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 08:09:45 PM »

you got that right but the Anteaters are UC Irvine

Yes we're aware, I just think Poison, who's never heard of Cal State Northridge, was reviewing the Big West conference.  A little stream of consciousness posting.  Also the campus of Cal State Northridge was less than 1/4 mile from the epicenter of the huge 1994 LA earthquake.

boo3

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 08:24:58 PM »
....and he was never heard from again....

good luck Amir.

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 09:03:42 PM »
Good Luck Amir.....hope you make me a quasi- Reds fan someday in the near future!

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 09:28:40 PM »
I've never heard of that program. Is it a decent smaller school? Is he immediately their best player?
Probably becomes their best pitcher.

crgreen

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 06:05:51 PM »

Same conference as Long Beach State (UCLA's Tyler Lamb just transferred there), Cal State Fullerton, UC Santa Barbara, UC-Irvine (as Noted), Hawaii (nice recruiting tool/road trip!).  Top school recently has been Pacific university.   Aso a couple more UC's - UC Davis and UC Riverside.  Under former coach Bobby Brasswell, Northridge made a nice run, but momentum slowed a couple years ago.  The school's only produced one NBA player in it's history - Paul McCracken (1973-1977).

ras

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 07:26:34 PM »
Just shows how we appreciated Amirs character. He transfers out after playing 1 1/2 years and he is still a fan favorite.

paultzman

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 08:45:25 AM »
“@rumbleSBN: Amir Garrett picked up his first professional win going 5 innings and striking out 6 batters in the Pioneer League. #stjbb -TD”

derk

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 09:14:54 AM »
Way to go Amir. We'll be following your success on the mound. Just don't be too hard on our Mets :)

crgreen

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 11:38:43 AM »
Way to go Amir. We'll be following your success on the mound. Just don't be too hard on our Mets :)

Average rookie age is 25.8 years old - Amir turned 21  four weeks ago.  By the time he gets to the Bigs, he could BE a Met.   ;)

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 06:11:52 PM »
Amir is going to be a great pitcher in the majors soon enough.

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 07:12:02 PM »
Amir is going to be a great pitcher in the majors soon enough.
Why stop there? First ballot HOFer!  :-\