APR Rating

• 25 replies

paultzman

APR Rating
« on: June 11, 2013, 02:58:26 PM »
Men's Basketball   St. John's University (New York)   NY   2010 - 2011   959       
Men's Basketball   St. John's University (New York)   NY   2011 - 2012   941       

In order to compete in the 2013-14 postseason, teams must achieve a 900 multi-year APR or a 930 average over the most recent two years. The same standard was in place for the 2012-13 academic year. This standard will increase to a multi-year 930, which predicts to a Graduation Success Rate of approximately 50 percent, or a 940 two-year average APR for the 2014-15 postseason.

paultzman

Re: APR Rating
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 03:02:36 PM »
Some comparisons;

“@CasualHoya: Georgetown men's basketball Academic Progress Rate rises to 966. D-1 average is 952. Syracuse is 933, 3 points above scholarship penalty.”

“@nybuckets: Harvard's MBB APR dropped to 956 for 2011-12. That's BY FAR the lowest in the Ivy League and the third straight year of declines.”

“@CasualHoya: Links to searchable Academic Progress Rate database of all schools and all sports in here: http://www.casualhoya.com/2013/6/11/4418488/georgetown-hoyas-recruiting-update-phil-booth-elbert-robinson-zylan-cheatham-paul-white#167359085
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 03:08:33 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 03:10:50 PM »
APR went down since Norm left? Fire Lavin.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 03:12:33 PM »
Transfers have hurt SJU a little as was the early departure of Moe Harkless.

There was a little debate with regards to Harkless if he withdrew from school last year after he declared.  If he did that definitely hurt their APR.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 03:25:10 PM »
http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/apr2012/603_2012_apr.pdf

Our APR this year alone was 900.  We are actually getting dangerously close to a penalty.

paultzman

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 03:46:51 PM »
“@CasualHoya: NCAA Multi-Year APR data for all Big East teams: http://sbn.to/117JDDs via @rumbleSBN”

Btw, did Garrett complete semester?

NYCoffey

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 04:20:21 PM »
Out of curiosity how does Kentucky keep their APR up with all there 1 and 2 year players?

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 04:44:37 PM »
“@syrbasketball: Syracuse's basketball and football teams achieve qualifying post-season APR scores; hoops number dips in 2011-12: http://ow.ly/lW2mA

Note Cuse's problems with kids dropping out and not finishing second semester in addition to some players getting thrown out. How to get kids to finish semester is a difficult task.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:47:23 PM by paultzman »

desco80

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 05:03:59 PM »
we have 12 of 13 guys coming back and still in school, our numbers should rebound a lot this year assuming everyone finishes both semesters. 

NYCoffey

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 05:09:31 PM »
2h 

Jeff Borzello ? @jeffborzello

FIU's Pete Garcia: "Student-athletes & coaches serving postseason ban had no part in actions which led to punishment." Here's to you, Isiah.

?View details ?· ? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

2h 

?Jeff Borzello ? @jeffborzello

?

APR info released. Alabama St, FIU, Grambling, Miss Valley State, Ark-Pine Bluff, New Orleans facing postseason bans: ow.ly/lVMqz

Everything isaiah thomas touches turns to crap.

Moose

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 06:35:12 PM »

Our APR this year alone was 900.  We are actually getting dangerously close to a penalty.

This is something I've been quietly worried about for awhile.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 06:55:49 PM »

This is something I've been quietly worried about for awhile.

That is because that year SJU had literally 6 players and 1 left early including dropping out of school early and when he did it cost them both points.  That doesn't hurt if you have 12-13 players but with only 5-6 players it hurts. 

It is a weighted avg. where each player gets 2 points.  Think of it this way would you rather take a 30 question test and get 1 wrong or take a 10 question quiz and get 1 wrong?

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 07:06:50 PM »
Further they got hurt by Stith leaving mid season lost both his points.

If SJU had a slew of kids flunking or dropping out I would worry.  Nothing like that is happening.

Not to mention they have 2 kids who I would guess could match anyone in the new BE in terms of academic acumen, Hooper and GG.

Moose

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 07:17:45 PM »

If SJU had a slew of kids flunking or dropping out I would worry.  Nothing like that is happening.

Not to mention they have 2 kids who I would guess could match anyone in the new BE in terms of academic acumen, Hooper and GG.

Stith didn't leave though. He stayed in school.

Also the acumen of Max and Gift don't really matter.  It's keeping kids enrolled.  Even if they declare for the draft (Moe) or transfer (Nuri, Amir).  Its keeping them in good standing and not flying the coop.  If we continue to get high profile recruits who won't last 4 years, this is imperative.

paultzman

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 07:21:12 PM »

Also the acumen of Max and Gift don't really matter.  It's keeping kids enrolled.  Even if they declare for the draft (Moe) or transfer (Nuri, Amir).  Its keeping them in good standing and not flying the coop.  If we continue to get high profile recruits who won't last 4 years, this is imperative.

Moose, did Amir fly the coop or finish the semester?

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 07:29:43 PM »

You are right on Stith.

And my point is 11-12 was a one off because of the roster size.

I get it retention matters.  Assuming SJU keeps a full roster or close to it the rest of the way they will be fine.

They are not close to losing a scholarship.

Moose

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 07:31:06 PM »

You are right on Stith.

I get it retention matters.  Assuming SJU keeps a full roster or close to it the rest of the way they will be fine.

Less concerned with losing a ship since I'm not a believer in 13 anyway.  Its the postseason issues that Uconn went thru that are the worst case scenario.

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 07:37:36 PM »

You are right on Stith.

Less concerned with losing a ship since I'm not a believer in 13 anyway.  Its the postseason issues that Uconn went thru that are the worst case scenario.

That would take several years of really bad scores.

I think UCONN had back to back years in the low .800's.

My only point is Lavs is not recruiting dead beats and over the long haul SJU will be fine.

boo3

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 07:48:47 PM »
Doomed!

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 08:28:02 PM »
does sju get credit if Gift redshirts again and stays here for 8 years