Mascot Preference

• 40 replies
Mascot Preference
« on: July 02, 2013, 01:20:59 AM »
This was the third major point of emphasis in the survey.  The choices they gave are listed above.  I voted for the horse in 2009 and I voted for the horse again in the survey.  I can live with Johnny Thunderbird though.

Poison

Re: Mascot Preference
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 01:54:53 AM »
Is there a worse mascot in all of college sports? More than anything, it's senseless to have a bird. It was senseless to have a horse. The REAL mascot since Louie retired, has been, sadly, Louie.

MCNPA

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 01:56:53 AM »
Johnny Thunderbird is fine...  The Horse was as bad as could be imagined. 

Poison

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 02:03:48 AM »

They are equally senseless. What on the earth is the difference? Neither make any sense.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:04:57 AM by Poison »

MCNPA

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 02:10:00 AM »

They are equally senseless. What on the earth is the difference? Neither make any sense.

The horse just looked ridiculous.  The Thunderbird is/was at least attempting to tie in the "Storm" idea with a mascot. 

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 02:13:11 AM »
To the people voting for human, what would you envision the human as being?  A guy in a red tux?

Poison

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 02:14:04 AM »
To the people voting for human, what would you envision the human as being?  A guy in a red tux?

Father Harrington.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 02:15:56 AM »

The horse just looked ridiculous.  The Thunderbird is/was at least attempting to tie in the "Storm" idea with a mascot. 

What does a bird have to do with a storm? And what does a storm have to do with St.John's? I'm lost on everything they've done since they changed the name. They were the Redmen for 80 years. Why? Because their uniforms were red. That was enough for me.

Would it be impossible to go back to the redmen, and do it without any Indian tie in? A mascot could be a guy in red paint. That's enough. They think they need an animal. And they think that because they can't think.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:19:45 AM by Poison »

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 02:19:41 AM »

Father Harrington.

That'd require him to actually show up to a game. 

MCNPA

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 02:20:38 AM »

What does a bird have to do with a storm? And what does a storm have to do with St.John's? I'm lost on everything they've done since they changed the name. They were the Redmen for 80 years. Why? Because their uniforms were red. That was enough for me.

The Thunderbird is the mythical bird that native Americans believed caused thunder and wind by the flapping of it's wings.  I still think we should go back to the Redmen.  I'm in total agreement.  IMO, there is no reason we can't go back to the original Redmen and just get rid of any native depiction.  None of the Johnnies stuff resonates to me as a primary name.

If we arent going back to Redmen, and it seems we aren't id still prefer just dropping the "Red" from it as it is implied by our colors anyway.  Go with St. John's Storm with Johnnies as a secondary name. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:22:38 AM by MCNPA »

Poison

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 02:21:54 AM »

Father Harrington.

That'd require him to actually show up to a game. 

If you watch him closely when he does go, you can see true joy on his face while we're getting destroyed by Syracuse.

MCNPA

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 02:54:44 AM »
Why does our mascot have to be an animal?  We are the Red Storm.  How about a tornado, lightning bolt etc?

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 05:03:26 AM »
We don't need no stupid mascot, since none of them fits Red Storm.

derk

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 09:08:08 AM »
Why does our mascot have to be an animal?  We are the Red Storm.  How about a tornado, lightning bolt etc?

Flag boy with a lightning bolt on the flag.

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 10:47:13 AM »

Father Harrington.
don't forget a red expensive tux

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 10:59:16 AM »
#SaveJohnnyThunderbird

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 09:33:13 PM »
What about the women?! Redmen is both sexist and racist and therefore worse then Hitler :crazy2:
Cougar O' Malley

Poison

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 10:15:41 PM »
What about the women?! Redmen is both sexist and racist and therefore worse then Hitler :crazy2:

If St.John's had more intelligent people handling that situation, they might have recognized that it was the Indian that was the issue. Not the name Redmen. The name had nothing to do with Indians. They picked it because their uniforms were red.