Fox Sports 1

• 186 replies
Re: Fox Sports 1
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 10:50:27 AM »
SNY yes MSG no. The Old Big East agreement with ESPN required that all games not on one of the ESPN channels be available on ESPN 3 with local black outs

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 12:17:30 PM »
This looks like the commercial they will be playing during the All-Star game tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9aUGrlgzU0

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 12:20:37 PM »
Awesome free publicity for the school there.

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 12:46:31 PM »
I hate losing to Georgetown (even in commercials)

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 12:54:56 PM »
This looks like the commercial they will be playing during the All-Star game tomorrow.

Fun to see us included. Includes a little better peek at the minor changes to the unis we saw in the photo released earlier. Only downside is seeing G'town celebrating what appears to be a buzzer beater against us...

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 01:02:02 PM »

Fun to see us included. Includes a little better peek at the minor changes to the unis we saw in the photo released earlier. Only downside is seeing G'town celebrating what appears to be a buzzer beater against us...

I'm interpreting it as a buzzer-beater to end the first half.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it (at least it was at Georgetown though).

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 01:15:14 PM »

Those won't be our jerseys.

Moose

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 01:37:00 PM »
Fox has "yet to cut carriage deals with three of the country’s four biggest distributors, raising the possibility that its August launch of Fox Sports 1 will fall short of the 90 million homes the channel is expected to have," according to John Ourand in this week's SPORTSBUSINESS JOURNAL. DirecTV, Dish Network and Time Warner Cable "still are negotiating to carry FS1 on Aug. 17." The fact that "so many deals are open a month before a network launch is not unusual in the cable industry." Though talks have been described as "amicable for the most part, news that some big deals aren’t done runs counter to the widespread belief in the sports industry that FS1 will flip a switch next month and launch to 90 million homes." SNL Kagan data shows that distributors currently "pay around 23 cents per subscriber per month for Speed." Sources said that FS1 is "being offered at 80 cents per subscriber per month at first, with increases that would push the fee to the $1.50 range over the life of a multiyear carriage deal." Distribution execs originally believed that they "would be able to carry FS1 at the same lower rate they pay for Speed until their Speed contracts end." But sources said that Fox has "not made that offer to any distributor that hasn’t signed new carriage deals." One of the main issues Fox is facing "concerns the atmosphere around the high cost of sports rights." Several distributors recently have "become emboldened by keeping sports channels off their systems." But FS1 "expects to be different, positioning itself as an alternative that could help distributors keep the high-priced ESPN in check" (SPORTSBUSINESS JOURNAL, 7/15 issue).
Remember who broke the Slice news

redslope

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 04:27:49 PM »
I would not be surprised to see Coach at the game tomorrow night and being interviewed regarding the "new" league and Fox Sports 1's impact

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 10:50:52 PM »
did anyone else catch Monasch at the ASG? He was shown in the stands.

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 10:57:37 PM »

With so many people wearing orange there he must have blended in so well that I missed him.

Moose

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 11:03:48 PM »

Dancing to Sweet Caroline?

paultzman

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 09:55:42 AM »
“@ECoastBias: This is a fascinating article/ release on FS1. And a Chris Bevilacqua mention, even! http://www.businessweek.com/printer/articles/135490-fox-sports-1s-strategy-vs-dot-espn-jockularity @QSTJHoops”

paultzman

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2013, 10:33:26 AM »
“@FOXSports1: If you missed the announcement earlier today, the rest of the crew of @FOXSportsLive was introduced today: http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/fox-sports-live-crew-revealed-charissa-thompson-andy-roddick-gary-payton-donovan-mcnabb-072513

“@StJohnsBBall: RT @FOXSports1: Questions about the network? Well, we've got a lot of answers. #ItsGonnaBeEPIC http://msn.foxsports.com/other/page/foxsports1-faq #sjubb #stjbb”

Moose

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2013, 11:53:32 PM »
Nice read.  Wouldn't be shocked to see Burkhardt involved in FS1 games/shows.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/07/31/kevin-burkhardt-fox/

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2013, 12:16:11 AM »
That's pretty cool. 

Not sure how many of you recall, but Curt Menefee (current host of Fox NFL Sunday) was also a local NYC sports reporter for Fox 5, before hitting it big time on Fox NFL.

paultzman

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2013, 06:44:34 PM »
“@GeoffShac: Breaking: USGA signs 12 year deal with Fox Sports 1 to televise USGA events. I’m floored on too many levels for Twitter. More later…”

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2013, 07:53:58 PM »
“@GeoffShac: Breaking: USGA signs 12 year deal with Fox Sports 1 to televise USGA events. I’m floored on too many levels for Twitter. More later…”

My guess is that does not include their signature event, the US Open Men's Championship.  That I am sure is still going to be televised by ESPN and NBC.

paultzman

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2013, 07:58:09 PM »

My guess is that does not include their signature event, the US Open Men's Championship.  That I am sure is still going to be televised by ESPN and NBC.

It does include US Open.

“@FOXSports: JUST IN: You'll start seeing @USOPENGOLF on FOX Sports and @FOXSports1 in 2015. Welcome, @USGA. http://bit.ly/14lr4MU
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:00:03 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2013, 07:58:44 PM »
21st Century Fox has scored a broadcasting hole-in-one.

The company's Fox Sports unit won the rights to televise United States Golf Association tournaments such as the U.S. Open, ending long-standing relationships with Comcast Corp.'s CMCSA +0.42% NBC Sports and Walt Disney Co.'s DIS -1.70% ESPN.

The 12-year agreement—which starts in 2015—includes a significant increase in fees and highlights the broadcast battle for major sports content, driven in part by Fox Sports's launch of Fox Sports1, a new 24-hour national sports network later this month.

The deal is a blow to NBCUniversal's NBC Sports, and its Golf Channel, which has tried to brand itself as the top destination for golf fans. While NBC aired the U.S. Open, the Golf Channel broadcast the U.S. Amateur and the Women's Amateur championships, among other programming. Also, ESPN will no longer show early rounds of U.S. Open golf. ESPN has been beefing up its major tournament coverage, picking up full rights to the British Open and Wimbledon, among others.

"The combination of NBC and Golf Channel will continue to be the dominant voice in golf coverage going forward," said a spokesman for NBC Sports. "We've enjoyed our 19-year relationship with the USGA and will continue to serve the golf fan every day."

A spokesman for ESPN said, "We look forward to televising the U.S. Open and other USGA championships in 2014 and wish them the best in the future."

Under the terms of the deal, Fox Sports will televise 146 hours of championship golf, including a minimum of 70 hours of live-event coverage of the U.S. Open, the U.S. Women's Open and the U.S. Senior Open on its broadcast network and its new cable-sports channel. Fox also as the rights to 10 national amateur championships and two international amateur team competitions, the Curtis Cup and the Walker Cup, and has committed to televising 76 hours of those competitions.

Glen Nager, president of the USGA, said that in addition to the increase in rights fees over the roughly $40 million the USGA has been collecting, the organization decided to go with Fox because of the network's record of reaching a younger demographic and coming up with new ways to televise sports.

"You look at what Fox has done when went into football and baseball," Mr. Nager said. "They have a record of innovation."

"We like big events and the U.S. Open is a big event," said Randy Freer, co-president of Fox Sports. "It allows us to bring another group of viewers to our network."