Player Development/Early Practices

• 31 replies

paultzman

« on: July 24, 2013, 07:29:49 PM »
“@SJUCoachLavin: @gionysports Collectively the entire group showing progress. Dom Pointer continues to elevate all aspects of play. #stjbb”

paultzman

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 01:46:51 PM »
Hopefully not at the same time Jon! Sheez!

“@JonRothstein: Hearing St. John's is working Dom Pointer in at PG thru PF in summer practice. Could technically play all 5 spots on floor. GLUE GUY. #stjbb”
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:02:30 PM by paultzman »

Re: Jon Rothstein SJU Observations
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 01:53:13 PM »
Who dis?
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Moose

Re: Player Development/Early Practices
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 02:34:48 PM »

“@JonRothstein: Hearing St. John's is working Dom Pointer in at PG thru PF in summer practice. Could technically play all 5 spots on floor. GLUE GUY. #stjbb”

Didn't we hear this last summer too?
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 02:37:20 PM »

Along with the fact Christian Jones was the major surprise on the team.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 02:49:56 PM »

I completely forgot about Christian Jones. Next year he might be called upon to be major contributor.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

crgreen

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 02:52:56 PM »

Yes - and he proceeded to lead the team in assists, FG%, and steals,  and finish 3rd in Rebounding and blocks, and 4th in scoring, playing all 5 positions on the court at one time or another. 

Moose

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 02:54:43 PM »

Yes - and he proceeded to lead the team in assists, FG%, and steals,  and finish 3rd in Rebounding and blocks, and 4th in scoring, playing all 5 positions on the court at one time or another. 

Did he play PG last year?  And I'm not talking breaking a press.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:56:43 PM by Moose »

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 02:57:57 PM »

I completely forgot about Christian Jones. Next year he might be called upon to be major contributor.

ominous comment after July open period

MCNPA

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 04:02:04 PM »
He's really running Dom in a point forward type role.  It's nothing new, but Dom is only going to get better in that role.  Wants Dom to be able to switch to any position offensively and defensively which causes a lot of confusion for teams.  Dom has been a jack of all trades.  As he gets his handle and shooting honed a bit, watch out.

MCNPA

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 04:03:33 PM »
I still think Jones can be a solid player when all is said and done if he can get more aggressive on the court and boards.

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »
I still think Jones can be a solid player when all is said and done if he can get more aggressive on the court and boards.

I think he can be more than solid. Your point about being aggressive is spot on. There were times he looked really good, like the Marquette game, and there were times where he looked far too timid out there. He's got to realize that often times he is the strongest kid out on the court.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 05:55:07 PM »

Didn't he play pg at times? Why does breaking press not count?

You guys don't like Rothstein?

Moose

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 06:04:02 PM »

My comment wasn't towards Rothstein.  He is just regurgitating what he's being told.  As for his incessant comparisons that I'm not a fan of :)

Kyle Cuffe broke the press back in the day.  If Dom is playing PG in a half court set either Dom is going to be among the Top 10 players in the BE or something went wrong with our other PG options.  I love Dom and I know as CR pointed out he led our team in assists.  I think it was more an indication of our inconsistent PG play and him being a beast in transition. I expect him to improve again.  His handle in transition clearly got better year over year.  However dribbling in the half court was still a weak spot.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:04:27 PM by Moose »

TONYD3

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 06:24:06 PM »
I have wrote on here that Dom isnt that skilled, would love for him to make me eat my words. We have so much more depth this year. Players are practicing against better players is going tom make the group better.

hnk

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 06:32:54 PM »
Is Jordan playing? Has anyone seen how he looks?

Moose

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 06:34:20 PM »
Is Jordan playing? Has anyone seen how he looks?

Jordan is enrolled in summer session and participating in all team activities.

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 07:14:20 PM »

My comment wasn't towards Rothstein.  He is just regurgitating what he's being told.  As for his incessant comparisons that I'm not a fan of :)

Kyle Cuffe broke the press back in the day.  If Dom is playing PG in a half court set either Dom is going to be among the Top 10 players in the BE or something went wrong with our other PG options.  I love Dom and I know as CR pointed out he led our team in assists.  I think it was more an indication of our inconsistent PG play and him being a beast in transition. I expect him to improve again.  His handle in transition clearly got better year over year.  However dribbling in the half court was still a weak spot.

Agree entirely.  Being honest, he could neither shoot nor dribble at a D1 level when he arrived as a freshman.  If Dom can develop into a legitimate combo guard, with his size and athleticism, he is a pro.  Time will tell, but he is already my favorite player on this team.

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 08:43:07 PM »
I think Dom is a 3 regardless of where he plays professionally.  Improved ball-handling would no doubt help, but if he can develop a good jump shot, even just being able to make uncontested looks, there are places in the league for guys who are great athletes, can lock up on defense, make all the hustle plays, and be at least a threat to knock down a wide open jumper.  Can't wait to see how he develops in the next two years.

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 10:15:57 PM »
He started becoming a pretty good shooter at the end of the year, i'd expect him to carry that over to this year