Mo Hicks Leaving

• 96 replies
Re: Mo Hicks Leavingess,
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2013, 10:18:32 PM »
St. John's is still denying it is a "done deal" however I've confirmed with outside sources that he is coming on board.

Some tidbits I also picked up was that Whitesell was responsible for scouting VCU and Butler which were two key victories the team had last season.

is someone on the staff getting demoted?

I think it is fairly obvious that Martin will be "shifted" to the DOBO spot. You won't see anyone say "demoted"
If it is Martin I wonder if his willingness to do so is a function of wanting to minimize travel so as to be close to home for his newborn.

Regardless of willingness or not, having a true associate HC is a good maneuver for every program.  It's important in lots of ways.  Martin is a good addition to staff, but still in infancy of coaching ranks.  Martin was brought in last year when we didn't land the guy we were targeting as AHC.  Lavin still had his sights on an Associate Hc for this season it seems, hence Whitesell.  Any way you cut it, landing a strategist and practice/game planner when we don't have one amongst the assistant staff, is the right move.
Agree and am impressed that coach would make such a decision given his history with Martin.

Think it is odd, nonetheless, that a guy like Martin would accept taking a position that is a step back.

Re: Mo Hicks Leaving
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2013, 12:54:25 PM »
Did Mo Hicks come to St. John's expecting to become an assistant coach?

That is what every DOBO comes in expecting.  Mo definitely took a pay cut for the opportunity, so you can't blame him for looking elsewhere after Coach Martin was added above him. 

Pay cut?
No way.  He was making good money.

He was making good money before.

Others can confirm it wasn't a pay cut.

I have no personal knowledge.  I just know that DOBOs make about 40k at most schools.  I'd imagine he would have to triple that to get in the ballpark of what he was making as Dean of Students, coaching, and running the Gauchos.  Some guys make six-figures for AAU alone.

From MY knowledge Mo was making over 6 figures at st.johns. Does anyone know the prep school Mo is taking over? And does this affect our recruiting if we wanted a player from his school. Like in the Jack or momo situations?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 06:47:05 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Moose

« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2013, 12:55:41 PM »
Did Mo Hicks come to St. John's expecting to become an assistant coach?

That is what every DOBO comes in expecting.  Mo definitely took a pay cut for the opportunity, so you can't blame him for looking elsewhere after Coach Martin was added above him. 

Pay cut?
No way.  He was making good money.

He was making good money before.

Others can confirm it wasn't a pay cut.

I have no personal knowledge.  I just know that DOBOs make about 40k at most schools.  I'd imagine he would have to triple that to get in the ballpark of what he was making as Dean of Students, coaching, and running the Gauchos.  Some guys make six-figures for AAU alone.

From my knowledge mo was making over 6 figures at st.johns. Does anyone know the prep school Mo is taking over and does this affect our recruiting if we wanted a player from his school. Like in the Jack or momo situations?

There is no rule on the reverse.  It's only if the HS/Prep coach came to SJU in a non coaching position.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2013, 12:01:50 PM »
“@AdamZagoria: Moe Hicks will actually be the Athletic Director of New Heights. Strong move by them.”

DFF6

« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2013, 12:09:55 PM »
“@AdamZagoria: Moe Hicks will actually be the Athletic Director of New Heights. Strong move by them.”

I guess he wasn't looking for a coaching gig after all?

« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2013, 12:26:53 PM »
For those "in the know" - this has to be good for us, right?

« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2013, 03:55:51 PM »

I guess he wasn't looking for a coaching gig after all?
thought he left to spend more time with his family.  :)

kob24

« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2013, 05:10:55 PM »
That's a big move

« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2013, 07:46:17 PM »
Good for us KOB?

lihoop

« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2013, 08:57:38 PM »
Congrats Mo, Best of luck to you!

« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2013, 09:34:42 PM »
Good for us KOB?

Could be but I believe the 2 year rule applies after he leaves as well.

gman

« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2013, 10:31:46 PM »
Good for us KOB?

Someone said earlier in the thread that going the other way doesn't apply.  Hopefully not.

« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2013, 10:39:24 PM »
Good for us KOB?

Someone said earlier in the thread that going the other way doesn't apply.  Hopefully not.

I must have misunderstood the rule, if so I stand corrected.

« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2013, 10:45:18 PM »
Good for us KOB?

I must have misunderstood the rule, if so I stand corrected.

Actually I am officially going to stand corrected on the rule, the 2 year AFTER part refers to the player not the coach.  That is what I misinterpreted.

paultzman

« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2013, 12:58:46 PM »
"In 2010, Hicks left juggernaut Rice, which closed down a year later under financial duress, for St. John's. After three years working under Steve Lavin in an administrative role, Hicks felt it was time to move on. The itch to coach wasn't going away.
Hicks, a Harlem native who won five state championships and six city crowns in 16 years at Rice, had nothing negative to say about Lavin or the Red Storm, but didn't see an opportunity to coach there after being passed over last year for an assistant position when Mike Dunlap. Furthermore, Hicks feel he's of more value at the grassroots level, where he can help develop players and mold young minds. In addition to coaching at Rice, Hicks also was a major figure on the AAU circuit with the Gauchos before taking the St. John's position. His good friend, Dwayne Mitchell, now runs the Gauchos, so Hicks opted for New Heights instead."

Read more: - NYPOST.com http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/collegesports/hicks_former_ops_director_his_roots_sdS4mTelfIzu3ECQmDnPWK#ixzz2baPoB7RV

« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2013, 11:16:43 AM »
Dam in that case doesn't seem good for st.johns but only time can tell how the clock ticks
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

kob24

« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2013, 07:36:29 AM »
It all depends on how he feels about lavin.